ADVERTISEMENT

Julius Halaifonua, 7-foot, 290-pound center from New Zealand - Possible 2024 Reclass

Apparently you do because it’s obvious it doesn’t as I was just responding to a post within this thread.
You should start an ADD thread so you and everyone will always be on topic 😂😂 !!

He is not going to Kentucky. It's confirmed.

UNC or Georgetown
Rumor I hear, unconfirmed, Julius is working on setting up a visit to UNC, maybe looking at within next 10 days. This thing is going to move really quickly, has to because we are not far out from classes beginning.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I cannot believe people really thought this staff would be content with Washington being the only center on the roster

Not only that but they ridiculed and gaslighted anyone that questioned if the staff was content

I cannot believe people really thought this staff would be content with Washington being the only center on the roster

Not only that but they ridiculed and gaslighted anyone that questioned if the staff was content
I am not sure how anyone would come away from what we have experienced so far this off season and feel as if Hubert did not badly want a center from this portal more so that just Lubin (don't read that as negative toward the kid, I just see him as way more a 4 than a 5). Not only did Hubert work to bring in Oyensea and OMouri for visits, they were his B plan. His A plan was to hit on one of 3 primary targets those I would suggest were Aidoo, the kid that ended up staying at Stanford Raymond, and the expectation that Kalkenbrenner was going to enter the portal. I think we would have been very happy with any of those 3, everything past that point was B-plan, B-plans that I don't think Hubert was totally sold on nearly as much as we fans were. I do think Jerry sold Lubin to Hubert , glad he did.

I am surprised and HAPPY that we FINALLY are looking at kids from outside the USA again because there are major talents pools that we can tap, ESPECIALLY skilled big men.

I am not sure how anyone would come away from what we have experienced so far this off season and feel as if Hubert did not badly want a center from this portal more so that just Lubin (don't read that as negative toward the kid, I just see him as way more a 4 than a 5). Not only did Hubert work to bring in Oyensea and OMouri for visits, they were his B plan. His A plan was to hit on one of 3 primary targets those I would suggest were Aidoo, the kid that ended up staying at Stanford Raymond, and the expectation that Kalkenbrenner was going to enter the portal. I think we would have been very happy with any of those 3, everything past that point was B-plan, B-plans that I don't think Hubert was totally sold on nearly as much as we fans were. I do think Jerry sold Lubin to Hubert , glad he did.

I am surprised and HAPPY that we FINALLY are looking at kids from outside the USA again because there are major talents pools that we can tap, ESPECIALLY skilled big men.
In fairness, foreign players can be problematic given the differences in what they';re allowed to do over there, but hell... that is pretty much a thing of the past as far as being an eligibility issue --- so yes, I'm also glad we're looking.

With that said, it's important to note lthat Hubert didn't go looking for another 2024 Big. This guy happened to be on a list of underclassmen we were already on, who then decided to reclass. So hell yes, we need to be in on that!

BTW, there is some feeling around the program that if we get him on campus, he will commit. Nothing in stone by any means, but...

Time to recruit some international ringers! Anyone else keeping an eye on USA basketball? Grandpa LeBron is pulling a one-man circus act out there. We squeaked past South Sudan by one point and barely edged out Germany by four. Looks like the world has caught up and then some!

Really hope we can land this big fella. I made the mistake of watching videos on him and now I really want him. His footwork in the post seems very advanced. He's got a soft touch around the rim. He's tall enough to dunk easily. He runs the floor very well for a 7 footer. His outside shot seems decent. He appears to have a strong lower body, which is one area I'm really concerned about with Washington. It's hard to defend strong players in the post when you have weak legs.

I've felt for a while now that James Brown should redshirt this coming season. If we add another center we would have the depth to allow Brown to redshirt.

A front line of Wash/Lubin/Halaifonua's .. or any other combo around Wash and Hal would surely look good on paper .. true big in the middle and a stretch 4 with size, length and a sweet outside, and inside, stroke along with a really sporty true pg and a proven outside SG is a great start imo.

A front line of Wash/Lubin/Halaifonua's .. or any other combo around Wash and Hal would surely look good on paper .. true big in the middle and a stretch 4 with size, length and a sweet outside, and inside, stroke along with a really sporty true pg and a proven outside SG is a great start imo.
Washington is not a stretch 4 specifically because he is not capable of defending the perimeter. If you don't believe that, go ahead and count up the total minutes he has played at the 4 over 2 seasons. If you still don't believe it, I'll refer you to this Zayden High quote posted 7 hours ago on IC.

'High has seen the fruits of Washington's labor over the summer. He said Washington is ready to take a step forward.

"I believe in him, and everybody else," High said. "Coaching staff believes in him, so that'll be our center.'

Washington is not a stretch 4 specifically because he is not capable of defending the perimeter. If you don't believe that, go ahead and count up the total minutes he has played at the 4 over 2 seasons. If you still don't believe it, I'll refer you to this Zayden High quote posted 7 hours ago on IC.

'High has seen the fruits of Washington's labor over the summer. He said Washington is ready to take a step forward.

"I believe in him, and everybody else," High said. "Coaching staff believes in him, so that'll be our center.'
:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
We definitely would be smart to take a true big that fell into our laps! Nothing about this recruitment says Hubs was desperate for a big though!

Go get him Hubs! Let him see some of Blue Heaven in action and I feel good about closing the deal!

Reactions: DaSheed and gary-7
I read the interview with High yesterday who was talking about the front court and specifically Washington. Don't know how much credence to give an interview with a reserve big man, but if I was reading tea leaves, I would read it to say Hubert has told him we are rolling with what we've got.

I hope not. I think if it were down to us and Georgetown we would be foolish not to go hard after JH.

As with most other things, time will tell...

Jamie Shaw put in a crystal ball for Georgetown yesterday. Looks like our NIL is getting outbid once again.

"We never tried to get"

Meanwhile Hubert's been on the phone constantly trying to get him to visit.

But whatever, let's just keep making excuses for what we've seen all summer long. Then we can switch to making excuses this fall when all the 5 star 2025 recruits we've been after for more than a year pick other schools.

It seems pretty clear that the staff has never talked to this kid prior to the last two weeks. Reaching out and trying to get him to visit does not equate to an offer. Please show me where we have offered JH and I will humbly admit I am mistaken.

There is nothing for him to commit to as there has been no offer. Nil can't play a part in him not choosing us if he hasn't been invited to join. Seems pretty basic. I know it doesn't fit your ongoing and overused rhetoric about our nil but, it is what it is.

Look, @DaveChappel, RESPECTFULLY, I understand your frustration. I think we have seen a large enough sample size to understand that Hubert likes to get kids on campus to meet them, put his eyes on them, read them in person and basically just get to know them and their expectations (NIL included). Most call it "fit". I'm not pretending that no offer=no interest.

I think we NEED this kid this season and will be very disappointed if we don't get him but there are so many factors outside of our sphere of knowledge. For example, what does signing JH do to the recruitment of the class of 25 bigs? What has coach told the existing frontcourt guys and what effect would it have to go back on his word? Not specifically these issues as they are hypothetical, but the point is we don't know and Hubert does.

UNC NIL is not the best in the nation, on that we can agree. We do not have SEC football money. However, it is not the automatic default as to why why we might not get a recruit that the fan base wants.

Go Heels!!!

I think he would add a lot to the current roster .. in a lot of ways.

Look, @DaveChappel, RESPECTFULLY, I understand your frustration. I think we have seen a large enough sample size to understand that Hubert likes to get kids on campus to meet them, put his eyes on them, read them in person and basically just get to know them and their expectations (NIL included). Most call it "fit". I'm not pretending that no offer=no interest.

I think we NEED this kid this season and will be very disappointed if we don't get him but there are so many factors outside of our sphere of knowledge. For example, what does signing JH do to the recruitment of the class of 25 bigs? What has coach told the existing frontcourt guys and what effect would it have to go back on his word? Not specifically these issues as they are hypothetical, but the point is we don't know and Hubert does.

UNC NIL is not the best in the nation, on that we can agree. We do not have SEC football money. However, it is not the automatic default as to why why we might not get a recruit that the fan base wants.

Go Heels!!!
In addition to the truth that that no offer from Hubert does NOT mean no interest, I want to take that thought a little bit deeper. Hubert puts GREAT VALUE, what may be his most critical aspect of recruiting a kid, getting him on campus and looking for how the kid reacts to both the school as well as his potential teammates. Even a kid WITH AN OFFER, Hubert seems to go strong with his gut feel for a kid while on his visit. Example, he got Omouri on campus and I doubt anyone would be willing to suggest that visit went well. I believe that Hubert just didn't like the fit, didn't like what was important to the kid, in simple terms let the visit wither rather than fight for a kid he badly wanted. And honestly, I would really want it any other way, I want my coach to pass on a kid that may have the talent to help you but is just a poor fit for the players and the school. Look, we are talking about a player that basically Hubert has NO relationship built with, how can he have a great feel for what he (Hubert) is looking for until he vets him on campus? Not like he has months to develop a relationship, there is a really short time line working and decisions have to come quickly but that has to be a very good decision.

Simple truth here, all offers are not the same, some are conditional, some are first come first gets, and yes some are I really want this kid. Going in to the last portal period we had some serious needs, we needed additions to the 4 and 5 spots, we needed a strong jump shooter to go along with RJ. WE got the shooter in Tyson, got the help at the 4 and "some" help at the 5 with Lubin. While Tyson and Lubin addressed the needs for a shooter and help at the 4, our 5 need was kinda but not fully handled. I think the reason it wasn't handled further was that Hubert was only really totally in on 3 names, 1 ended up not entering, one elected quickly to stay where he was, and the other was still upset that he was not recruited harder coming out of high school (Aidoo). I do not think there was another guy in the portal that Hubert was all in on. I would frame it this way, does the kid fit in Hubert's view what it means to be a Tar Heel, is this a kid he feels he will enjoy coaching, and does he fit with his team mates.

Interesting isn't it, that after a couple summer scrimmages (where Hubert gets a ton of feed back from our alums), after some summer practices, now all the sudden a 7ft, 290lb kid that has to reclass to play next season, in now being worked to take a visit? Common sense should tell you that if Hubert felt great about what he already has then this thread would not exist? Hubert is looking to get the kid on campus and see how it goes from there, if he does and does not like the feeling then pass on him. The offer WILL be there if Hubert likes what he gets to see on the visit, Hubert would NOT work to get the kid to visit if he was not interested but how he fits with his team mates will be THE deciding factor.

It seems pretty clear that the staff has never talked to this kid prior to the last two weeks. Reaching out and trying to get him to visit does not equate to an offer. Please show me where we have offered JH and I will humbly admit I am mistaken.

There is nothing for him to commit to as there has been no offer. Nil can't play a part in him not choosing us if he hasn't been invited to join. Seems pretty basic. I know it doesn't fit your ongoing and overused rhetoric about our nil but, it is what it is.
Chappelle has become as much a broken record as Woadblue.

It is possible that Hubs could be happy with what we have AND be smart enough to take a 7' , hard working dude with a man's body at the same time! Especially, if the dude is willing to work for what he gets and doesn't have to be promised a starting role or set amount of minutes! It might just be proof our coach understands the long game and knows no coach would pass on this guy if they had a chance!

Reactions: RHFD
It is possible that Hubs could be happy with what we have AND be smart enough to take a 7' , hard working dude with a man's body at the same time! Especially, if the dude is willing to work for what he gets and doesn't have to be promised a starting role or set amount of minutes! It might just be proof our coach understands the long game and knows no coach would pass on this guy if they had a chance!
I think Hubert is smart enough to realize that he needs to add beef to that front line, else he would not be looking at all to add to the roster this late. This late, the current roster has already in their minds framed what they expect come next season, example High has a feel for the minutes he may get that he could not have while the portal was still open.

I do want to caution, I think most of what I have said about this kid has been overly positive, I do hope we can get him but I wanted Omouri as well, what I could not know then was how that guy would fit in Hubert's view. No, this isn't a video game, this is about real kids, it isn't always about who has the most talent. This is a kid that was not on anyone's radar a year ago but now has some big time programs looking at him hard. From what I understand he has really worked on his body, lost a good bit of weight (sounds strange, lost a lot of weight all the way DOWN to 290lkbs) ? LOL Looks like conditioning is still a work in progress, he does not seem to be as physical as you would expect a 7" 290lbs kid to be. Looks to me like a kid that needs to play around 270-275lbs and show some attitude on the court. I see a kid that has been taught well, does show nice skill but is not overly atheltic and has average reach for his height. But if you are looking for beef on your front line, this kid looks like a Dave's double!

I agree 100%! I would have loved this team with a 7 footer, but I think we have enough to play a really effective and entertaining brand of ball! Julius is a luxury pick that I believe will need some developing. He instantly provides the beef and eventually will maximize skill as well! He already has good hands and instincts. He will need to get stronger/better conditioned and work on a lot of footwork! His attitude, motor, and desire to be coached hard (appears this way to me) will stand him in good stead eventually!

I think Hubert is smart enough to realize that he needs to add beef to that front line, else he would not be looking at all to add to the roster this late. This late, the current roster has already in their minds framed what they expect come next season, example High has a feel for the minutes he may get that he could not have while the portal was still open.

I do want to caution, I think most of what I have said about this kid has been overly positive, I do hope we can get him but I wanted Omouri as well, what I could not know then was how that guy would fit in Hubert's view. No, this isn't a video game, this is about real kids, it isn't always about who has the most talent. This is a kid that was not on anyone's radar a year ago but now has some big time programs looking at him hard. From what I understand he has really worked on his body, lost a good bit of weight (sounds strange, lost a lot of weight all the way DOWN to 290lkbs) ? LOL Looks like conditioning is still a work in progress, he does not seem to be as physical as you would expect a 7" 290lbs kid to be. Looks to me like a kid that needs to play around 270-275lbs and show some attitude on the court. I see a kid that has been taught well, does show nice skill but is not overly atheltic and has average reach for his height. But if you are looking for beef on your front line, this kid looks like a Dave's double!
I agree with us possibly needing to add some depth down low but hd could be recruiting for the future as well. He’s available now let’s do our due diligence sort of thing. Would make since why he hasn’t beaten the door down on other bigs for this year after getting a few portal guys. He can help now is just a plus. Idk, something to consider.

We're still working to get him on campus, and if that happens there's a good feeling about our chances.
Just out of curiosity I looked at the NCAA D1 mens bball recruiting calendar and it looks like the actual opportunities to contact players during the month of August is pretty slim. Not sure how it works when a contact was made before these periods. Seems like September is when things open back up. Is there some other significance in the last week of July or the first week in August?

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
Just out of curiosity I looked at the NCAA D1 mens bball recruiting calendar and it looks like the actual opportunities to contact players during the month of August is pretty slim. Not sure how it works when a contact was made before these periods. Seems like September is when things open back up. Is there some other significance in the last week of July or the first week in August?
Correct. There's a small window in early August for visits and that's what we're shooting for.

Reactions: al would
Correct. There's a small window in early August for visits and that's what we're shooting for.
I just saw it as a quiet period where limited contact might be possible but I'm sure there are some type of work arounds. It sounded like a "quiet period" offered very limited opportunities. Hal would, at a minimum, be a great practice player, and possibly much more. The over sea international players seem to develop a more rounded game than the U$A players. Just an opinion from limited observation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT