ADVERTISEMENT

Long Time Heel

tilador

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2005
Not a Tar Heel born, missed it by 15 miles just north of Mt Airy, but definitely a Tar Heel bred, Class of 70 out of Forsyth county. Started following the Heels on the day in '57 when the Heels toppled the Stilt! Fall of 65 I only applied to UNC and was accepted into the class of 70 15 days later. Got a jump start by attending freshman camp where I learned much useful info, ie what a sock-hop is, and settled into south campus. Living in Ehringhaus I got to know the football team, who contributed to my income in penny ante card games, and other interesting characters. Unfortunately the love of playing bridge costed me and in 68 I enlisted in the USAF and spent my military in Monterey CA and West Germany.
Fast forward to 73 and I am back in Chapel Hill. Uncle Sam paid for the next 3 years! I got summoned to my advisors office in Dec 75 and was told that I had to stop taking classes or enroll as a grad student. I finished with 160 hrs of credit and several assorted majors. I had worked as a cook/chef at the POETS Corner, some of you may remember it, the last 1.5 years and decided to stay in Chapel Hill as I had gotten use to living in heaven.
Oct 1978 I was visiting a friend in Efland and met a woman who changed my life. I think smitten is an understatement. Turned out the lady was sigma cum lauda grad of Radcliffe/Harvard '63 and beyond all reason she also liked me. Summer of 80 we bought a converted school bus and hooked her Volvo P1800 to it, I had sold mine to buy the bus, and set sail for CA or bust! Broke down in almost every state we went through, but I was able always able to repair it with spit, chewing gum and assorted pieces of wire and 20 days later we arrived.
It was difficult to closely follow the Heels but thanks to the marvels of television at least I got to cheer my Heels to victory for Dean and Roy's championship teams. I gladly gave up everything for her but drew the line on Tar Heel basketball and she actually came to join me in cheering for our team! I tried the other site when I became internet enabled but found a home here on THI. I don't post often but check numerous times a day to follow recruiting, etc and over the last month THI has become the one stable element while my life crashes around me.
I got my prostate cancer diagnosis last summer but it was caught early and prognosis was excellent with radiation treatments. Began radiation in Feb but had to stop after 3 weeks due to horrific pain. It turned out that radiation also gave me bladder cancer! I was ending my chemo for the bladder and on the way back from a farewell dinner for our son and his family when my wife had a seizure as we were coming up to our home. (Our son and family are relocating to Asheville this summer
and we were to follow next spring after I was done with my cancer treatments. However my wife did not want to leave California.) I immediately sped to the closest ER and the initial diagnosis was a mass in her brain and significant swelling. Later tests revealed the primary as lung cancer metastasized to the brain. She has been in chronic pain for the past 2 years with severe osteoarthritis and degenerative disk disease and her weight has dropped to 75 pounds! Her condition and age (80) left her with no options for treatment and she entered hospice 2 weeks ago with 6-9 months at best. It is somewhat a left handed gift as her quality of life is poor because of the 24/7 pain and oxycodone. I also have d cubed but manage it with meds, tumeric, ibuprofen and the occasional cannabis treat, yes once a child of the 60s always a child of the 60s.
My main reason for posting today is to thank Andrew, et al for doing such a great job of keeping us up to date on our beloved Heels and everyone who is on this site for providing me an anchor during this time. After this is over I will be relocating to Asheville with numerous trips to Chapel Hill and joining the Ram's Club in supporting everything Carolina. GDTBATH!

Father time is undefeated, in time he catches us all. It is a bit ironic isn't it, so many spend so much of their lives worried about having a really nice vehicle to get us to where we want to go but as we age we realize that the most important vehicle we have starts breaking down and has to be completely broken down before we get to the one destination we should all aspire to. Fortunately, our life time of experience teaches us that the end is not the end, it isn't the beginning of the end, it is just the end of the beginning. So when that day comes and you feel that loss, realize, you have not lost her, she has just gone before you so that she can greet you when it is your time to arrive. The 2 of you have no doubt packed a lot of love and life in to the years you have been given, just imagine how much you will be able to pack in to eternity with our father! God is LOVE, LOVE is all there is in his house and both you and your lady can be there for ever with no pain, with nothing but love ever lasting. You only get your invitation in his time however, till then live in the way to justify being invited to such a wonderful next existence.

Mikey knows...

Prayers sent your way. Jesus will not bring storms that you cannot handle with his help and love. You both are incredibly strong individuals who are showing that to us all. Thank you for sharing your story and life events with us. You have the support and love of the Tar Heel Nation. God bless you both.

May the grace of the Lord shower down upon you in your time of need. May the healing power of time grant you the peace found in cherished memories of the good times together! May the comfort of family, Family, and friends grant you solace as you deal with your loss! And may the promise of eternal glory together give you something to look forward to!

Tar Heel nation is a Family and we always take care of our own! If there is anything I can do simply message me!

Dang Tom, would have loved to have hooked up with you and key while I was in Asheville,, was over on Tunnel road for 4yrs. Now in Santee SC, kinda retired unless someone wants to throw more money at me than I can say no to and truth is now days that would not be as much as it used to be.

Well, David, I know you did your best to keep Asheville weird! I'm doin' mine!

Thanks everyone for your words and support. Rest assured that I will connect with anyone in the Asheville area. I will do even more and host a gathering as soon as I am settled with menu based on my favorites, ie barbecue, lobster and shrimp. I will supply further details as events transpire. Thanks again.
PS This affair will be open to all Radar devotees who wish to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Thanks everyone for your words and support. Rest assured that I will connect with anyone in the Asheville area. I will do even more and host a gathering as soon as I am settled with menu based on my favorites, ie barbecue, lobster and shrimp. I will supply further details as events transpire. Thanks again.
PS This affair will be open to all Radar devotees who wish to come.

I wonder how much flights from Nor Cal to Ashville are??🙄😁

Reactions: tilador
Father time is undefeated, in time he catches us all. It is a bit ironic isn't it, so many spend so much of their lives worried about having a really nice vehicle to get us to where we want to go but as we age we realize that the most important vehicle we have starts breaking down and has to be completely broken down before we get to the one destination we should all aspire to. Fortunately, our life time of experience teaches us that the end is not the end, it isn't the beginning of the end, it is just the end of the beginning. So when that day comes and you feel that loss, realize, you have not lost her, she has just gone before you so that she can greet you when it is your time to arrive. The 2 of you have no doubt packed a lot of love and life in to the years you have been given, just imagine how much you will be able to pack in to eternity with our father! God is LOVE, LOVE is all there is in his house and both you and your lady can be there for ever with no pain, with nothing but love ever lasting. You only get your invitation in his time however, till then live in the way to justify being invited to such a wonderful next existence.

Mikey knows...
God Bless you DSouthr......SMILE......you are a good person my friend.

Prayers!! I live south of your birthplace in Yadkin. Proud Starmount Ram Class of 1989!!

Reactions: Archer2
Tilador
Very interesting life u have lived.
I am sorry to hear bout ur health problems and ur wife's health troubles are heartbreaking. Prayers for both of you.
God bless you !

Reactions: Archer2 and tilador

Mikey knows.

And that’s why I read your sometimes verbose posts. There’s always some good old fashioned wisdom in there. Love you buddy.

Reactions: shun1
Excuse my words but cancer sucks ass. I know what the effects because Ive seen first hand. My mom passed away with lung cancer.

Ill keep you and your family in my prayers, tilador! I pray for comfort and understanding. I pray for your strength and faith. I pray for relief and resolve. Keep being a wonderful husband. We all should strive to have love that powerful.

Time for an update!

My wife died last August 24th and is no longer suffering.

I have now beaten bladder and prostate cancer!

And yesterday I arrived in Asheville where I intend to remain for the rest of my days. While walking my dog yesterday I happened to spy a street sign on Virgina Ave which read Tar Heel Ave on a neighboring house. That's when I realized that I have indeed made the right decision about where to move. Looking forward to meeting alums in the area. GDTBATH

Time for an update!

My wife died last August 24th and is no longer suffering.

I have now beaten bladder and prostate cancer!

And yesterday I arrived in Asheville where I intend to remain for the rest of my days. While walking my dog yesterday I happened to spy a street sign on Virgina Ave which read Tar Heel Ave on a neighboring house. That's when I realized that I have indeed made the right decision about where to move. Looking forward to meeting alums in the area. GDTBATH
You certainly seem to have a positive outlook on life and that’s more than most can say. I pray things go well for you with your move and life in general.

Thanks, I have to say the air feels better on my skin and the sky is Carolina blue! California was ok for 42 years but after being evacuated 2 of the last 5 years due to wildfires, I am so glad to be back and can stop worrying about being burned out. Also too much social pressure to conform and much too expensive.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Thanks, I have to say the air feels better on my skin and the sky is Carolina blue! California was ok for 42 years but after being evacuated 2 of the last 5 years due to wildfires, I am so glad to be back and can stop worrying about being burned out. Also too much social pressure to conform and much too expensive.

I'm sure when you left Cali, the state IQ dropped considerably.

Glad to have you back Home!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT