ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Maye Highlights...

BillyL has been weird lately. All doom.and gloom and pessimism. Reminds me of someone who finds out they have cancer and hates all the world for it or something. Really weird.

Berry is awesome. Will be awesome next year.

Well, my goldfish did die the other day . .

Ok...I'm a football guy....Maye looks like a stud TE...jk from what I can see there are gonna be some people eating crow here....no he is not Uber athletic but he is not a clod either. ...I think he is a better prospect than Kris Lang and he was a Mikey Der. I tell you who Maye reminds me of....a slightly thicker Tom Sheehy from UVa...might be before some of you guys time....lol But Sheehy ended up being a double figure scorer by his jr/Sr year.....and above all else he will kill or die right or wrong to wear that jersey....I say welcome aboard.....go heels!,,

I think the comparison to Sheehey is a pretty good one, at least in terms of how hard they play. I think Maye is going to surprise many of our fans. Teams like Butler are built on players like Luke.

It is Like the Berry discussion you see on this thread, Joel Berry has super talent we will see more of it next year, but the following 2 years you really will see it..

Reactions: Old_School59
It is Like the Berry discussion you see on this thread, Joel Berry has super talent we will see more of it next year, but the following 2 years you really will see it..

I tend to agree, most players take time to develop. I think Joel will eventually become a very good PG, but I never saw him dominating from day one.

First of all, stop shaking your head, coach bobble-head.

Never said anything about Ingram other than what was being reported, that he was the best player on the West squad and had been killing it all week. And yes, I wanted him badly for us . . but, you are correct in saying Berry will never be a Ty Lawson, how great he will be is up to him.
Hell, some on here are already over-hyping the kid once again and have him as 1st team ALL-ACC . . . I do hope so, but, I really doubt that comes to fruition.

#realitycheck

While I agree, touting Berry as all ACC for next season is way premature the kid IMO was easily our best PG last season. Our production ratched up when he came in to the game, considering how he was kind of dealt out early season his impressive run late season was to me even more impressive.

I told ya pre-season Berry should start, I begged for berry to start, I said it to the extent folks were getting tired of hearing it from me. It is funny now, now everyone seems to agree that our PG has to be Berry but rather than just agree, they seem now to have to move over the the other extreame with the kid and now everyone wants to assume he will be the best PG in the league? And who knows maybe he can be that but there are some really good PGs in the ACC and I for one would be surprised to see him more than maybe 3rd team ACC after next season.

I want him to shoot the ball better, yeah, I saw him make a nice run of treys to end the season but credit marcus for drawing off a lot of the defensive pressure, his shooting stroke still needs work.

The area of Berry's game that feels like no one else wants to talk about that I think is a particular strength as well as a trait this team really needed last season is his ability to defend from the PG position. Kid really sits down on the defensive end and works, as if he loves defending as much or more than he does the offensive end, love that mindset. I am still not sure the kid really feels that he has to total keys to the control this team, still feels a little bit like he has a second fiddle mindset. That is NOT his nature, the kid has been the man in charge on the court his entire career and felt like he struggled with that some last season. I think giving him the starting nod would go a long ways in securing his belief that he belongs out there at this level. Game still seemed to be a little fast for him, it began to slow down late season.

I am really looking forward to watching how much Joel developes his game this off season, he has that extra someting about his game that I love to see, I think in time he wil develope in to a heck of a leader one that I seriously doubt the word soft wil be used to describe.

While I agree, touting Berry as all ACC for next season is way premature the kid IMO was easily our best PG last season. Our production ratched up when he came in to the game, considering how he was kind of dealt out early season his impressive run late season was to me even more impressive.

I told ya pre-season Berry should start, I begged for berry to start, I said it to the extent folks were getting tired of hearing it from me. It is funny now, now everyone seems to agree that our PG has to be Berry but rather than just agree, they seem now to have to move over the the other extreame with the kid and now everyone wants to assume he will be the best PG in the league? And who knows maybe he can be that but there are some really good PGs in the ACC and I for one would be surprised to see him more than maybe 3rd team ACC after next season.

I want him to shoot the ball better, yeah, I saw him make a nice run of treys to end the season but credit marcus for drawing off a lot of the defensive pressure, his shooting stroke still needs work.

The area of Berry's game that feels like no one else wants to talk about that I think is a particular strength as well as a trait this team really needed last season is his ability to defend from the PG position. Kid really sits down on the defensive end and works, as if he loves defending as much or more than he does the offensive end, love that mindset. I am still not sure the kid really feels that he has to total keys to the control this team, still feels a little bit like he has a second fiddle mindset. That is NOT his nature, the kid has been the man in charge on the court his entire career and felt like he struggled with that some last season. I think giving him the starting nod would go a long ways in securing his belief that he belongs out there at this level. Game still seemed to be a little fast for him, it began to slow down late season.

I am really looking forward to watching how much Joel developes his game this off season, he has that extra someting about his game that I love to see, I think in time he wil develope in to a heck of a leader one that I seriously doubt the word soft wil be used to describe.
Watch saying common sense stuff. The haters will come out and start saying Joel Berry is our worst perimeter defender soon.

First of all, stop shaking your head, coach bobble-head.

Never said anything about Ingram other than what was being reported, that he was the best player on the West squad and had been killing it all week. And yes, I wanted him badly for us . . but, you are correct in saying Berry will never be a Ty Lawson, how great he will be is up to him.
Hell, some on here are already over-hyping the kid once again and have him as 1st team ALL-ACC . . . I do hope so, but, I really doubt that comes to fruition.

#realitycheck
"reality check" is that you dissed an MVP for one guy and hyped it for another. Obviously winning an MVP in a given all-star game doesn't predict greatness, but at the very least if our incoming stretch-4 wins one at a prestigious event and a 3-point contest to boot then I would venture to say that's a good thing... plus that just might be a good sign that he's a better player than many are giving him credit for. Nothing more, nothing less.

And I haven't thought about nor do I care about who makes 1st-team all-ACC next season. UNC is loaded and there are only so many slots to go around, after all. What I do know is that I will take Berry right now over any PG in the conference, and let the accolades fall where they may. Give him the keys and let him play and everyone else on the team will be better for it... and ultimately that's what counts.

...and as for shaking my head, I would love to stop... but you just keep giving me so many reasons
:cool:

The only thing true about predictions is that everyone has one. Steph Curry could not get a scholarship and his father begged Davidson to give him one and the rest is history. By his senior year at Davidson he was scorching every team. Also, its easy to sit back and predict a UNC player will not be that good and when he turns out to be much better than you predicted you come of with the normal cliche " I'm glad I was wrong"...Of course, at that point no one cares what you said originally because the player is doing well. Having said this, barring an injury, my prediction is that Berry will make the all first or second team ACC. He showed me enough in the NCAA tourney that I feel comfortable and confident that he will achieve ACC first or second team. Berry is not Lawson or Felton. I think he is more of a Shane Larkin/Mateen Cleaves type player.

Reactions: heelbent
I hope your right.....but to me so far he is more of a King Rice. Those guys could take over a game....I havent seen that yet with Berry

The only thing true about predictions is that everyone has one. Steph Curry could not get a scholarship and his father begged Davidson to give him one and the rest is history. By his senior year at Davidson he was scorching every team. Also, its easy to sit back and predict a UNC player will not be that good and when he turns out to be much better than you predicted you come of with the normal cliche " I'm glad I was wrong"...Of course, at that point no one cares what you said originally because the player is doing well. Having said this, barring an injury, my prediction is that Berry will make the all first or second team ACC. He showed me enough in the NCAA tourney that I feel comfortable and confident that he will achieve ACC first or second team. Berry is not Lawson or Felton. I think he is more of a Shane Larkin/Mateen Cleaves type player.

If Joel's game reaches the level of those two, I'll be very pleased. I'm eager to see him play and see if he's taken up where he left off last season, finishing strong. Does he move into the 5th starting position or does Theo? It may depend on how fast Theo fully recovers from his foot surgery. Regardless, there will be no shortage of second guessing going on.

Does he move into the 5th starting position or does Theo? It may depend on how fast Theo fully recovers from his foot surgery. Regardless, there will be no shortage of second guessing going on.

Hear what you're saying but I can't see Theo starting, esp because of the foot. I think it's more likely we see Theo play an "instant energy" role off the bench next season and mostly backing up Justin before providing minutes at #2.

That comparison is not even in the same area code close. Good Lord.
:confused:

King was a good college player but I suspect Joel's ceiling is higher, I certainly hope so. I think we'll know by the end of this next season. My gut says we're a better team with Joel starting at point and your game stats seem to bear that out. I hope Roy will give him the reins and let him go!

I think I'll wait til Berry finishes his junior year before comparing him too much to Lawson, even though I do see similarities between the two. Lawson had a few struggles his freshman year too, and lets not forget that he (Berry) missed a significant portion of his freshman campaign.

This was pretty funny. The slow mo's on him doing an awkward spin move.

I see a big slow unathletic kid who better not have to see the court for a while. Sorry guys, not going to be a homer on this one and say he will be a "very very good player". Go to any good AAU tournament and you'll find 200 kids better than him. Hope he's a good locker room guy. That's about it.

Doh.

A funny read for today, thanks for bumping the thread DaSheed.
The good thing is, a lotta folks are owning up to past errors. Credit to them and it's all good for all Heel fans.

Reactions: DaSheed
It's hilarious reading some of these posts. It just goes to show that highlight vids can be very misleading. You can watch one and say "that guy is going to be great", and be wrong. Or you can watch one and say "he'll never amount to much" and be equally wrong. The size of the fight in the dog is an intangible that is impossible to measure.

I expected Luke to be a significant contributor at UNC, but even I never envisioned him winning Regional MOP his Sophomore year.

This thread is hilarious to read. Goes to show how wrong we can be, either in over-hyping a player or in writing him off, all based on a couple of videos. I've been one of Luke's staunchest supporters and even I have to admit his play this year has exceeded my expectations.

Even after the UK game in the NCAAT, he had a very modest FF, leading many to question whether he could be effective without Kennedy/Isaiah/Tony garnering the lion's share of the defensive focus. And that was a legitimate question. I think he's answered in the affirmative.

As I said in an earlier post, it's hard to measure the amount of "fight in the dog". Luke has it in spades, as do several of our current players.

Luke Maye is doing good, and I like what I am seeing. But, I am waiting til ACC play to see how he does (or this MSU game) before I say much, same with Kenny Williams. I want them to succeed. They are looking good so far. Hopefully they maintain this level. If so, we are going to be good.

Reactions: CJBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT