ADVERTISEMENT

Marco Polo on Netflix

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
I don't watch much TV besides sporting events, which means I get left out of a lot of conversations LOL. Seems like everybody has "their shows" they like to discuss. So I decided to watch something, but didn't want to have to binge watch (Walking Dead?), possibly a show not even on any more (Breaking Bad?). So I picked Marco Polo on Netflix.

I was hoping it would be a little more history than drama, but it's the other way around. They also seem to have taken some liberties with the history part. But I have to say the production is remarkable. The sets and wardrobe are fantastic.

Any chance anybody else here is watching or has seen the first season?

Never heard of it.

Like you, I don't really watch "programs" outside of HBO and even then, it's only when I can't find sports on TV. Summers are slow for sports (I mean, how much regular season baseball can one watch?) so maybe I'll find something. But then again, I'm usually doing a lot more outside in the summers.

I've never seen any of those series that are all the rage. Hmmm, gives me an idea for a thread.

Matt LeBlanc is just awful. Except of course for his award winning performance in Ed.

MV5BMTI0MjU2NDUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIyMDIyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I just had another idea for a thread. Whoa nelly. Y'all keep your eyes peeled for possibly the greatest Rank 'em thread soon.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I just started this show called 'The Red Road' that is pretty solid. GoT and The Walking Dead are the only shows I watch religiously. There are others I watch when I'm bored (Top of the Lake, Carnivale, etc...) and may watch all of them one day. Maybe not.

I heard some mixed things about it, so I haven't checked it out yet. The "Netflix originals" that I have watched that have been out a little while are House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, but there are two that premiered this year that I watched that I thought were great. The first is called Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It's from Tina Fey and the comedy is very similar to 30 Rock, so if you liked that then you should also like this. I thought it was pretty hilarious. The star of it (Ellie Kemper) was on The Office and in Bridesmaids, and there are some great, great guest stars. The other show is Daredevil, which was incredible. I know some people might be feeling superhero exhaustion, but check this show out. Seriously, it's awesome. It's easily one of the best things that Marvel has done thus far.

I blew thru the DareDevil series (13 episodes) on Netflix in about three days. Thought it was pretty good. Vincent D'Onofrio plays "Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin", he really lives up to his nickname the human chameleon. After watching several episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent I had no idea that he played private Leonard Lawrence in Full Metal Jacket. I think he's an awesome actor and he didn't disappoint in DD.

I heard some mixed things about it, so I haven't checked it out yet.
Well, since nobody seems to have watched it, I'll offer my thoughts.

Overall I was a little disappointed. One of the most striking things about the series is the gratuitous violence and sex. I understand they're probably trying to depict the brutish sorts of lives people led then -- and of course it's about Mongol warrior's conquests -- but it really seemed like violence for the sake of violence sometimes. Same with the sex: full frontal, orgies, you name it. I'm hardly a prude, but the excesses sometimes detracted from the story IMO.

The acting is a little hit-or-miss. The characters of Marco Polo and Genghis Khan are both pretty solid, but Empress Chabi (Khan's wife) and Jia Sidao (his nemesis) are fantastic if you ask me. I don't care for the Prince's character at all, but otherwise the performances are so-so.

I already mentioned it earlier, but the history covered in the series seems to be a bit of an afterthought. I was hoping it would be somewhat educational so it falls flat in that area. The story also takes a while to get going. It actually started strong in the first episode as we're introduced to the characters, but it labors through the middle episodes. The last three or four episodes recovered well, though, so I'll probably give the second season a chance if they do another. Just my take on it.

Well, since nobody seems to have watched it, I'll offer my thoughts.

Overall I was a little disappointed. One of the most striking things about the series is the gratuitous violence and sex. I understand they're probably trying to depict the brutish sorts of lives people led then -- and of course it's about Mongol warrior's conquests -- but it really seemed like violence for the sake of violence sometimes. Same with the sex: full frontal, orgies, you name it. I'm hardly a prude, but the excesses sometimes detracted from the story IMO.

The acting is a little hit-or-miss. The characters of Marco Polo and Genghis Khan are both pretty solid, but Empress Chabi (Khan's wife) and Jia Sidao (his nemesis) are fantastic if you ask me. I don't care for the Prince's character at all, but otherwise the performances are so-so.

I already mentioned it earlier, but the history covered in the series seems to be a bit of an afterthought. I was hoping it would be somewhat educational so it falls flat in that area. The story also takes a while to get going. It actually started strong in the first episode as we're introduced to the characters, but it labors through the middle episodes. The last three or four episodes recovered well, though, so I'll probably give the second season a chance if they do another. Just my take on it.

I love netflix , if it were up to me I would cancel Directv and save that 120 bucks a month. My whole household loves netflix i had to upgrade to 4 streams at a time.

I am currently watching Rockford files and Daredevil and btw DD is the best non movie stuff marvel has made. I will check out Marco after I finish DD.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT