ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Packer to Hubert Davis

FlaTarHeel

Hall of Famer
Feb 21, 2017
Pack on the ACC show a little while ago made the comment that HD said people are making too big a deal of State winning 5 games in 5 days.
His response to Hubert, "That is a garbage quote by you coach".
Smh :oops:

Pack on the ACC show a little while ago made the comment that HD said people are making too big a deal of State winning 5 games in 5 days.
I doubt HD would say anything like that either because winning 5 in 5 in the AACT is a big deal. HD ought to be looking in the mirror and asking himself why he let it happen. He had a more rested and better team. Coaching is a yuge part of winning HD and that starts the first day of practice and you drive that bus bud.

Reactions: Heelicious
His response to Hubert, "That is a garbage quote by you coach".
Smh :oops:
Here's the quote from HD... (only place I could find it was from post-game presser transcript on TOS from Evan Rogers; sorry, couldn't find a rivals or goheels link):
Q: One of the big question marks heading into this game for NC State was the fatigue factor. For them to come out as hot as they did, for lack of better phrasing, do you feel like there was a bit of complacency on your team's end to allow that?

Hubert Davis: "No, I don't agree with that. Those are your words. But I think too much is made out of five games in five days. You have a chance to play in this tournament, you have a chance to win a championship. Us growing up, we played three games in one day. Getting an opportunity to play at this level in this tournament and for a championship, it doesn't matter how many overtimes, how many games you play in a row. We knew that they would play with great energy, and they did from the start and throughout the entire game."
So...
HD said people are making too big a deal of State winning 5 games in 5 days.
I know nothing about Mark Packer. Should we be shocked that [EDIT: HD said nothing of the like]
"That is a garbage quote by you coach"
So an out-of-context, hyperbolized quote with added embellishments and untruthful aspects is actually what is garbage here. 💩

Last edited:
A further, more professional way to put my previous post: In essence, HD was saying they didn't let their guard down because ncst was playing their 5th game in 5 days; that someone playing 5 in 5 is not a reason to get your hopes up and let your guard down. Despite the fact that ncst was playing their 5th game in 5, they expected ncst to play with energy.

He did not say that ncst winning 5 games in 5 days was no big deal.

A further, more professional way to put my previous post: In essence, HD was saying they didn't let their guard down because ncst was playing their 5th game in 5 days; that someone playing 5 in 5 is not a reason to get your hopes up and let your guard down. Despite the fact that ncst was playing their 5th game in 5, they expected ncst to play with energy.

Bingo. Packer is a Facker.

maybe it's me, but I think Hubert Davis knows more about a team playing above expectations than the particular media hack in question here does. The media did make too much of five games in five days. Several of our players have commented recently that practice is a worse grind than the games are, and they practice every day.

There is truth in the above comments about Mark and Billy, but in fairness, I have also heard Mark make very positive comments about UNC and HD many times. (and I know that Billy admired and respected Dean Smith). I just think Mark was happy for State and wanted to praise their accomplishment. Broadcasters like Mark and Billy often say things on air that they might not say in polite conversation (take it from one who has been there, done that :D)

Reactions: bluetoe
maybe it's me, but I think Hubert Davis knows more about a team playing above expectations than the particular media hack in question here does. The media did make too much of five games in five days. Several of our players have commented recently that practice is a worse grind than the games are, and they practice every day.
This 💯. I laugh when people have problems with players playing 35 minutes a game two times a week. There are very few that can’t do it

I heard Hubert say that elsewhere (in the pg? or his show last night, I did hear it)

Last edited:
The sports media LOVES to create a underdog and then celebrate them, truth is the 5 games in 5 days is a great media story more than a real sports achievement. You watched that game, how many times during that game did the announcers try to talk about 5 games in 5 days? Did NC St look like a team that had no legs, didn't to me, they looked more like a team that was hot and not ready to cool down. The story should have been how good those wuffies players were playing rather than how often they have been playing. Had state lost the story in the N&O (who love the wuffs) that they lost because they played 5 games in 5 days rather than UNC beat them. Now that they have won the story is Cardiac wolfies in a miracle win just like Valvano!!! Lol, could care less for what Packer says, he is a hack like his pappy was.

Agreed. Hubs deserves to give a “fart you! “ 😂. To Packer and not grant him any conversation rest of the season.

The sports media LOVES to create an underdog and then celebrate them, truth is the 5 games in 5 days is a great media story more than a real sports achievement. You watched that game, how many times during that game did the announcers try to talk about 5 games in 5 days? Did NC St look like a team that had no legs, didn't to me, they looked more like a team that was hot and not ready to cool down. The story should have been how good those wuffies players were playing rather than how often they have been playing. Had state lost the story in the N&O (who love the wuffs) that they lost because they played 5 games in 5 days rather than UNC beat them. Now that they have won the story is Cardiac wolfies in a miracle win just like Valvano!!! Lol, could care less for what Packer says, he is a hack like his pappy was.
I don’t care who says what. It’s impressive winning 5 in 5. Not only because of the playing of that much ball, but because all the teams that have a shot at it are the weakest teams. They play on the first day. Just my opinion of course. Regardless of the out come I do agree that peeps would say the Heels were either fresher or just got beat by the other team. I do agree there.

I don’t care who says what. It’s impressive winning 5 in 5. Not only because of the playing of that much ball, but because all the teams that have a shot at it are the weakest teams. They play on the first day. Just my opinion of course. Regardless of the out come I do agree that peeps would say the Heels were either fresher or just got beat by the other team. I do agree there.
I agree it is impressive, and I hope my remark wasn't taken as devaluing it. But the media did what the media does, and made a bigger thing out of it than what it was...a nice, notable accomplishment and not some superhuman achievement.

There is truth in the above comments about Mark and Billy, but in fairness, I have also heard Mark make very positive comments about UNC and HD many times. (and I know that Billy admired and respected Dean Smith). I just think Mark was happy for State and wanted to praise their accomplishment. Broadcasters like Mark and Billy often say things on air that they might not say in polite conversation (take it from one who has been there, done that :D)
I lol at the hate for Billy Packer. He was annoying a lot, and he was wrong a lot. I used to love to hear Jim Thacker put him in his place when he decided to be the play-by-play guy and wrongly disagree with Jim over some play or foul.

On the other hand, the fool knew basketball and his knowledge added a lot to my enjoyment of broadcasts that he was part of.

And I never got the sense that he particularly shaded his commentary against us. What I did get a sense of though, was that many UNC fans might have gotten to feel a little entitled to receiving nothing but praise all around. Dick Vitale spoiled us.

I lol at the hate for Billy Packer. He was annoying a lot, and he was wrong a lot. I used to love to hear Jim Thacker put him in his place when he decided to be the play-by-play guy and wrongly disagree with Jim over some play or foul.

On the other hand, the fool knew basketball and his knowledge added a lot to my enjoyment of broadcasts that he was part of.

And I never got the sense that he particularly shaded his commentary against us. What I did get a sense of though, was that many UNC fans might have gotten to feel a little entitled to receiving nothing but praise all around. Dick Vitale spoiled us.
C'mon now, if you remember Jim Thacker you know Billy even back then could barely contain his antipathy toward UNC. And I still laugh at him not being able to identify our Point Zone for all those years...
:rolleyes:

C'mon now, if you remember Jim Thacker you know Billy even back then could barely contain his antipathy toward UNC. And I still laugh at him not being able to identify our Point Zone for all those years...
:rolleyes:
just a different way of seeing the same thing, I guess, but I seriously never thought he went out of his way to put us in a bad light. He just didn't go out of his way to put us in a good light.

And if you remember Jim Thacker, you remember broadcasts of college basketball when it was the best.

Reactions: gary-7
just a different way of seeing the same thing, I guess, but I seriously never thought he went out of his way to put us in a bad light. He just didn't go out of his way to put us in a good light.

And if you remember Jim Thacker, you remember broadcasts of college basketball when it was the best.
Yessir. Jim (who I later learned was a distant cousin on my mom's side) was the ACC voice of my childhood for sure.
In the pre-ESPN days, how lucky were we to get televised college hoops on local stations?... while much of the nation had to wait for random games on Saturdays on NBC or occasional syndicated one-offs.

In the pre-ESPN days, how lucky were we to get televised college hoops on local stations?...
I remember watching UNC with Ford, Bunting, Wood .. Rusty Clark .. all the games and names from the black and white days on antenna TV way before cable. We had a tenarotor antenna and watched on WMFY/Greensboro brought to you by Pilot Life Ins. Co. Think Billy Pecker might even have had a little hair back then but still a prick when it came to UNC and Dean. Wasn't he a NCSU homey?

Yessir. Jim (who I later learned was a distant cousin on my mom's side) was the ACC voice of my childhood for sure.
In the pre-ESPN days, how lucky were we to get televised college hoops on local stations?... while much of the nation had to wait for random games on Saturdays on NBC or occasional syndicated one-offs.
I could go on and on, but I couldn't make anyone understand how special it was, from the quality of the basketball to the quality of the broadcast. I didn't even mind the commercials.

Jim Thacker was the best then and IMO still is the best there ever was. I still miss him.

Reactions: al would
I agree it is impressive, and I hope my remark wasn't taken as devaluing it. But the media did what the media does, and made a bigger thing out of it than what it was...a nice, notable accomplishment and not some superhuman achievement.
Not at all. I agree with you also.

I think a big problem is those who take the media talking heads so seriously. When they depart from pure play-by-play and analysis they start coming up with things that they hope will get them what we now call "likes" and "clicks" (ratings). They know how to appeal to (and antagonize) fan bases. Many of these folks are quite different when they are not playing to the masses.

State's run was impressive - they beat the 2,3 and 1 seeds after beating a bad lousville team and the 7 seed. If a team did that regular season with rest in between they would definitely be considered on a roll and to do it 5 days in a row is something. I do not think Hubert was minimizing what they did but that does show he did not think their legs would be tired, maybe that was some justification in his mind for not pressing and really trying to push tempo.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Yes it is impressive that a crap team that was so bad that they finished the regular season and entered the ACCT as the 10th seed, and ends up winning it all. Gonna piss off a lot of folks now when I say, not much different than UNC was in Hubert's first season as head coach. While not as crappy as the wuffies regular season was, outside of that regular season ending game where we beat duke and ended K's career with a loss in his final game at Cameron, that regular season was bad. We barely snuck in to the NCAAT and all the sudden we catch a hot streak and some how end up with a double digit half time lead in the national title game, our hot streak was what 5 games, the wuffs hot streak was what, 5 games? LOL It was impressive but I have seen teams get hot before, seen that movie, impressive but not so amazing? One team was playing for their very life knowing that their season was very likely over, doubt the NIT would have even invited them, their coach was likely fired with an early ACCT exit, and their seniors college careers ended in futility without that run of games. They played a team that was already a NCAAT #1 seed that was the out right winner of the ACC regular season, that really didn't have much on the line, that every one of it's players knew that they had more games to play and bigger fish to fry.

You tell me what to you is more impressive, 5 games in 5 days and winning the ACCT, a team that barely makes it in to the NCAAT and ends up well ahead at the half of the national title game, or... a team that did not make the NCAAT last season, that did not play in the NIT, that returned a grand total of 4 scholarship players, that just won the ACC regular season crown, that did itself make it to the ACC title game, that is right now as I type this a #1 seed in the NCAAT? You tell me what is more impressive, the hot streak or the earned over the course of the entire season so far achievement?

I am not looking to down play what state did, great effort from them, crappy effort by us in that game. But for the story line to be about how often they played and not how well they played is to me just wrong. Sorry, just my opinion...

State's run was impressive - they beat the 2,3 and 1 seeds after beating a bad lousville team and the 7 seed. If a team did that regular season with rest in between they would definitely be considered on a roll and to do it 5 days in a row is something. I do not think Hubert was minimizing what they did but that does show he did not think their legs would be tired, maybe that was some justification in his mind for not pressing and really trying to push tempo.
IN a tourney format like the ACCT, every team in it had already played any opponent that they could face, it is not as if the coaches and players did not know each other. We had already beaten state twice this season, we knew what they wanted to do we didn't need to have extra days to game plan for an opponent we didn't know. That is a real problem in the NCAAT, win your first game of the week and you only have 1 day to prep for an opponent that you very likely have not faced this season so teams can be caught by surprise, you can not be surprised that Burns was a load in the ACCT or that Horn could shoot when he is hot.

Ask any coach, it is really hard to beat a team that you have already beaten twice in that same season in the college game. Blow a team out more than once in a regular season, how often do you see that? Notice in our games this season, more often the second time we beat them is by a lesser margin than the first. But beating a team 3 times in the same season is even a harder feat especially a hated rival because you becomes their Super Bowl.

Yes it is impressive that a crap team that was so bad that they finished the regular season and entered the ACCT as the 10th seed, and ends up winning it all. Gonna piss off a lot of folks now when I say, not much different than UNC was in Hubert's first season as head coach. While not as crappy as the wuffies regular season was, outside of that regular season ending game where we beat duke and ended K's career with a loss in his final game at Cameron, that regular season was bad. We barely snuck in to the NCAAT and all the sudden we catch a hot streak and some how end up with a double digit half time lead in the national title game, our hot streak was what 5 games, the wuffs hot streak was what, 5 games? LOL It was impressive but I have seen teams get hot before, seen that movie, impressive but not so amazing? One team was playing for their very life knowing that their season was very likely over, doubt the NIT would have even invited them, their coach was likely fired with an early ACCT exit, and their seniors college careers ended in futility without that run of games. They played a team that was already a NCAAT #1 seed that was the out right winner of the ACC regular season, that really didn't have much on the line, that every one of it's players knew that they had more games to play and bigger fish to fry.

You tell me what to you is more impressive, 5 games in 5 days and winning the ACCT, a team that barely makes it in to the NCAAT and ends up well ahead at the half of the national title game, or... a team that did not make the NCAAT last season, that did not play in the NIT, that returned a grand total of 4 scholarship players, that just won the ACC regular season crown, that did itself make it to the ACC title game, that is right now as I type this a #1 seed in the NCAAT? You tell me what is more impressive, the hot streak or the earned over the course of the entire season so far achievement?

I am not looking to down play what state did, great effort from them, crappy effort by us in that game. But for the story line to be about how often they played and not how well they played is to me just wrong. Sorry, just my opinion...
It can be both imo. You can’t compare the two but if I had to choose it’s the heels of course. And what makes it impressive is the fact it was literally five days in a row. It’s the only time it can happen and there’s a chance every year. It’s only happened one other time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT