ADVERTISEMENT

Max Scherzer's $210 Mil for 7 years . .

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
Half of that deal is deferred money, as the Nationals will pay him $15 million the next 14 years . .

A sweet deal for him . . but, is he worth it . . . ?

He's gonna blow his arm out with that delivery long before those 7 years are up. Nationals got significantly better in the short term, but in the long term, this is going to come back and bite them.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by coolwaterunc:
But hey, at least they actually signed someone good to a big contract...sigh...
Yep. Their rotation was already darn good and now it's scary good.

Lord help the Braves. We're going to have Chris Johnson (probably) hitting clean-up for goodness sake...

ah as a NATS fan let me comment

Like the deal.....l the $ is ridiculous but hey its not YOUR $$$

All kinds of rumors that the Nats will deal either Strasburg or J Jimmerman. I HOPE they deal Stras he is a prima donna and Zim is a far superior pitcher

BUt also reports that Zim does not wanna stay in DC ,he is a Midwestern guy and the Brewers have been rumored for a long time to want him..... he is from Wis

Stay tuned this is far from done and I look for the Nats to trade either Zim or Stras and possibly Desmond which IMO would be a major mistake.

Nats should trade Strasburg. Most overrated player in our generation, next to his own teammate, of course.

They'd be fools to trade Zimmermann. I'll never understand why a player isn't happy. Yeah, you're getting played millions to play a game...boo hoo.

He's gonna blow his arm out with that delivery long before those 7 years are up. Nationals got significantly better in the short term, but in the long term, this is going to come back and bite them.
You may be right, Cool . .

I, for one am not a fan of giving athlete's these lavish long term contracts . . all too often, it seems like they are getting the big money for their past accomplishments and once they have that 'golden years' type of contract in hand, the motivation to excel seems to leave them . .

Pujols is the first to come to mind, his $240 mil for 10 years of service is an expense the Angels are going to regret IMO . . If, I'm a GM, I'm not giving out anything more than a 4 yr. deal . . then we'll look at what you did that last year or two.

Scherzer's stats aren't exactly similar to Kershaw's . .

$210 million. Wow.

The amount of money we pay professional athletes is obscene. I mean, it's what the market will bear so I don't have a problem with the Nats paying him whatever they can. But what has happened to us that we feel a a guy that plays ball every 5 days should get that kind of money? SMH

Good for him.

Originally posted by BillyL:

I, for one am not a fan of giving athlete's these lavish long term contracts . . all too often, it seems like they are getting the big money for their past accomplishments and once they have that 'golden years' type of contract in hand, the motivation to excel seems to leave them . .

Pujols is the first to come to mind, his $240 mil for 10 years of service is an expense the Angels are going to regret IMO . . If, I'm a GM, I'm not giving out anything more than a 4 yr. deal . . then we'll look at what you did that last year or two.

Billy, this phenomena is particularly present in baseball more than other sports. Football players, for the most part, do not get cushy, lengthy contracts in the backend of their career -- they have to scrap for playing time and to stay in the league. I don't know how prevalent this is in the NBA and I really don't care.

I found it interesting when U.S. National Soccer Team coach Jurgen Kilinsmann made some public comments about this very concept -- overpaying old players for what they have done, rather that what they will do. He said he didn't understand it and said it was a concept unique to American sports. It simply does not happen in soccer. Once you get older, if you're on a blueblood team, you eventually will get forced out to a lower table team or even a team in a lower division, and you will be offered a substantially lesser contract.

I simply do not understand how MLB has allowed itself to get to the point where you have to hand out contracts like the one Pujols has, for example. The dude is going to be like 45 and still getting paid, what, like $20 million a year? These contracts make zero sense from a business perspective except that it is the proverbial "going rate" in MLB today.

Furthermore...........how the heck do baseball players make so much money? Where does that money come from ? NFL towers over MLB from a ratings/revenue standpoint, and ~75% of NFL players make peanuts (comparatively) without the security of guaranteed money like baseball players have. That's a head-scratcher

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Billy, this phenomena is particularly present in baseball more than other sports. Football players, for the most part, do not get cushy, lengthy contracts in the backend of their career -- they have to scrap for playing time and to stay in the league. I don't know how prevalent this is in the NBA and I really don't care.

I found it interesting when U.S. National Soccer Team coach Jurgen Kilinsmann made some public comments about this very concept -- overpaying old players for what they have done, rather that what they will do. He said he didn't understand it and said it was a concept unique to American sports. It simply does not happen in soccer. Once you get older, if you're on a blueblood team, you eventually will get forced out to a lower table team or even a team in a lower division, and you will be offered a substantially lesser contract.

I simply do not understand how MLB has allowed itself to get to the point where you have to hand out contracts like the one Pujols has, for example. The dude is going to be like 45 and still getting paid, what, like $20 million a year? These contracts make zero sense from a business perspective except that it is the proverbial "going rate" in MLB today.

Furthermore...........how the heck do baseball players make so much money? Where does that money come from ? NFL towers over MLB from a ratings/revenue standpoint, and ~75% of NFL players make peanuts (comparatively) without the security of guaranteed money like baseball players have. That's a head-scratcher
Strasburg, Zimmerman and Desmond are all on the trading block . . The Nats are afraid that Strasburg will definitely walk after 2016, and it seems that both sides feel it is time to part ways. Zimmy may seem like the better player at the moment, but, Strasburg still has a lot of appeal as a future star w/ some clubs . .

I've heard mention that the Cubs have an interest in Strasburg . .

This post was edited on 1/19 5:02 PM by BillyL

The deal is actually a 14 year deal with half the $$ paid to him after age 37 The Nats will pay him til he is 44 years old

It averages out to around $15 million for the next 7 years it certainly looks better that way from a payroll standpoint.... Deferral pure and simple

The Nats just MIGHT stick with all these pitchers THIS YEAR .

If that is the case look for J Zim to be the Lester of 2015 with huge payday from another team next fall

They could also lose Desmond and Stras next fall

Fister I would definitely keep too

I'm glad the Tigers decided not to shell out that kind of money/years for Max. I loved what he was able to do for the Tigers but 7 years and that kind of money to a guy who can barely get through 6 innings just didn't seem like a good investment to me. Lots of pissed off Tiger fans here for not matching but I think they played it smart. I'm sure they learned from the Prince Fielder debacle.

Originally posted by Detroit Heel:

I'm glad the Tigers decided not to shell out that kind of money/years for Max. I loved what he was able to do for the Tigers but 7 years and that kind of money to a guy who can barely get through 6 innings just didn't seem like a good investment to me. Lots of pissed off Tiger fans here for not matching but I think they played it smart. I'm sure they learned from the Prince Fielder debacle.
7 years from now, the Nationals will be saying "He wasn't worth the money . . "

Originally posted by Detroit Heel:

7 years from now, the Nationals will be saying "He wasn't worth the money . . "
Agreed, UNLESS he can win them a WS or two. That's the only way I could justify it, however, we have a lot of other issues that Max alone wouldn't be able to fix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT