ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald's All American center Brandon Garrison enters the transfer portal

DaveChapelle

All-American
Sep 17, 2020
6'11" athletic freshman center is transferring from Oklahoma State bc his coach got fired.

Our biggest need at the moment is a STRONG center who can defend strong/fat opposing centers. Bacot is the only guy who can do that on our current roster and he's leaving at the end of the season. I'm not sure this kid fills that role unless Jonas can get him to bulk up, but he's definitely the best center prospect in the portal so far.

Reactions: Oak ridger
I suspect he will have a number of choices. These transfer players because of the early start to the portal must be torn between early signing to have a choice and late decision to see who transfers or goes pro to open up playing time.

He has to know that he would get some early playing time here. And our offense is predicated on inside first. With that being said, we have Brown, High, and Washington in the fold for next season in the paint, but I dont think that scares anyone unless Washington can make a massive move in the offseason.

He has to know that he would get some early playing time here. And our offense is predicated on inside first. With that being said, we have Brown, High, and Washington in the fold for next season in the paint, but I dont think that scares anyone unless Washington can make a massive move in the offseason.
Brown needs to redshirt. He's not even putting up decent numbers in high school.

High obviously envisions himself as a stretch 4 since he keeps bricking 3 pointers, and he leads the team in fouls per minute.

Keep an eye on Withers and Okonkwo. The NCAA transfer rules are basically gone now. They can both transfer again with no penalty.

Brown needs to redshirt. He's not even putting up decent numbers in high school.

High obviously envisions himself as a stretch 4 since he keeps bricking 3 pointers, and he leads the team in fouls per minute.

Keep an eye on Withers and Okonkwo. The NCAA transfer rules are basically gone now. They can both transfer again with no penalty.
Withers is the only one I’d want to stay for next year ready players.

Edit to say. I want the others to stay but withers is the one that’s ready to play now.

Last edited:
First, it makes no sense to me to start the portal before the NCAAT games have even begun? Oh my this person just entered, on my let's go get him now? Yet once all the tourney games have been played, who knows who will be available? But even worse is we now have posters projecting UNC players to the portal while they are right now working to help this UNC team win NCAAT games??? I am sure our UNC players really THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT...

If we are recruiting the right players our focus should be on retaining those recruited players, not running them off after a freshman season that did not thrill YOU. Now if a kid wants to transfer then transfer, if you are not willing to fight for your minutes then go. I believe if a kid is willing to fight for his minutes he will work to the point that his minutes will come. Many would have run Seth off last season, many would have been just fine had BOTH RJ and Caleb left after last season. The real value of developing players seems lost on many now days.

There are still a lot of things I would prefer Hubert do differently, like I would prefer our defensive players not turn their backs to the ball as they consistently did vs the wuffies but the manner Hubert has used the portal is not one of my negative concerns.

I think we will need to portal in at least 2 players this time, a burley or rim protecting center that can give us some back to the basket game and a strong jump shooter, those needs have not been filled for this recruiting class in my opinion. But with that said I don't see us getting a Bacot level center, who knows who will be available however. I want to see High, Konkwo, Jalen, Withers, Ingram, and Brown fight for minutes at UNC. I want to see if they can develop to the point that they get solid minutes like Seth now has.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHFD
First, it makes no sense to me to start the portal before the NCAAT games have even begun? Oh my this person just entered, on my let's go get him now? Yet once all the tourney games have been played, who knows who will be available? But even worse is we now have posters projecting UNC players to the portal while they are right now working to help this UNC team win NCAAT games??? I am sure our UNC players really THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT...

If we are recruiting the right players our focus should be on retaining those recruited players, not running them off after a freshman season that did not thrill YOU. Now if a kid wants to transfer then transfer, if you are not willing to fight for your minutes then go. I believe if a kid is willing to fight for his minutes he will work to the point that his minutes will come. Many would have run Seth off last season, many would have been just fine had BOTH RJ and Caleb left after last season. The real value of developing players seems lost on many now days.

There are still a lot of things I would prefer Hubert do differently, like I would prefer our defensive players not turn their backs to the ball as they consistently did vs the wuffies but the manner Hubert has used the portal is not one of my negative concerns.

I think we will need to portal in at least 2 players this time, a burley or rim protecting center that can give us some back to the basket game and a strong jump shooter, those needs have not been filled for this recruiting class in my opinion. But with that said I don't see us getting a Bacot level center, who knows who will be available however. I want to see High, Konkwo, Jalen, Withers, Ingram, and Brown fight for minutes at UNC. I want to see if they can develop to the point that they get solid minutes like Seth now has.
I agree with you on the needs for next season. We saw the results the other night when outside shooting was bad. I'll go a little farther and say if RJ leaves, we need outside shooter that will start Day 1.

Reactions: alabamaheel

rcoDUkv.png

If we are recruiting the right players our focus should be on retaining those recruited players, not running them off after a freshman season that did not thrill YOU. Many would have run Seth off last season, many would have been just fine had BOTH RJ and Caleb left after last season. The real value of developing players seems lost on many now days.

I want to see High, Konkwo, Jalen, Withers, Ingram, and Brown fight for minutes at UNC. I want to see if they can develop to the point that they get solid minutes like Seth now has.
1. My point exactly in the transfer portal thread
2. Ya think?
3. Game, Set, Match!

Reactions: DSouthr
Bob Huggins really did Okonkwo dirty. He got the kid to reclassify and enroll early at WVU under the guise of redshirting, and then he burned the redshirt at the end of that season by playing him 15 minutes.

As a result Okonkwo only has 1 year of eligibility left and he's still a pretty raw player.

Withers is the only one I’d want to stay for next year ready players.

Edit to say. I want the others to stay but withers is the one that’s ready to play now.
Withers is not " starter level" on a team with the aspirations of our program in my opinion. Would love him to stay as a rotation piece though.

Withers is not " starter level" on a team with the aspirations of our program in my opinion. Would love him to stay as a rotation piece though.
I think with out a doubt JWit has starter level talent, kid is insanely talented, it is his decision making that concerns me, his forcing things that just are not there, rushing himself. We have seen this season, as he has slowed down and allowed the game to come to him he has progressively got better and better. Early season when JWit came in the game I cringed a little and I now find myself shouting HUBERT put Wit in now!

I think with out a doubt JWit has starter level talent, kid is insanely talented, it is his decision making that concerns me, his forcing things that just are not there, rushing himself. We have seen this season, as he has slowed down and allowed the game to come to him he has progressively got better and better. Early season when JWit came in the game I cringed a little and I now find myself shouting HUBERT put Wit in now!
I have been watching him for 4 years. He is physically more mature, but his game has not taken a substantial jump in skill level.
Nobody noticed when he was pedestrian on a bad team at Louisville.
Here, he was very turnover prone early in the season. He has contributed greatly down the stretch because he is doing more in his wheelhouse of strengths. With increased min, I think he will be exposed for his lack of an overall floor game.
JMHO

I have been watching him for 4 years. He is physically more mature, but his game has not taken a substantial jump in skill level.
Nobody noticed when he was pedestrian on a bad team at Louisville.
Here, he was very turnover prone early in the season. He has contributed greatly down the stretch because he is doing more in his wheelhouse of strengths. With increased min, I think he will be exposed for his lack of an overall floor game.
JMHO
I think this is more of a off season topic so I don't look to get to deep in to it. But, it is clear that JWitt's transition to us was not nearly as smooth as many expected, as I expected as well. The kid was the #2 scorer for his old team, a team that had a serious chucker as their PG, never saw a shot he didn't like. To the extent that Wit knew when he did touch the ball he was going to try to score no matter what. Comes to UNC and all the sudden he is competing for minutes against way more talent than he was used to. He tried to hard to create to show he belonged and it didn't go well. But he has over the season slowed down and is allowing the game to more come to him, does at times still forces something he shouldn't but the frequency of that has dramatically curbed back.

As Wit's minutes have increased his over all play as gotten much better, he is playing more within his role and in doing so is now helping this team as opposed to hurting it and yes he did at times hurt the team early season with those really ugly turn overs. Rather than being exposed his increased minutes have given us more production and better play from him in my view?

Am I going to say right now that JWit should start for us next season, heck NO, not without knowing who will be available for us next season, how could I? If we were to be able, just as an example and not saying we have a chance at this, but if we were to pick up PJ Hall or Quint Post in the portal no JWit is not starting (assuming Ingram is back). But what if we brought in one of those guys and Ingram left, Wit could well start, would that shock you?

Reactions: tarwhiz
I think this is more of a off season topic so I don't look to get to deep in to it. But, it is clear that JWitt's transition to us was not nearly as smooth as many expected, as I expected as well. The kid was the #2 scorer for his old team, a team that had a serious chucker as their PG, never saw a shot he didn't like. To the extent that Wit knew when he did touch the ball he was going to try to score no matter what. Comes to UNC and all the sudden he is competing for minutes against way more talent than he was used to. He tried to hard to create to show he belonged and it didn't go well. But he has over the season slowed down and is allowing the game to more come to him, does at times still forces something he shouldn't but the frequency of that has dramatically curbed back.

As Wit's minutes have increased his over all play as gotten much better, he is playing more within his role and in doing so is now helping this team as opposed to hurting it and yes he did at times hurt the team early season with those really ugly turn overs. Rather than being exposed his increased minutes have given us more production and better play from him in my view?

Am I going to say right now that JWit should start for us next season, heck NO, not without knowing who will be available for us next season, how could I? If we were to be able, just as an example and not saying we have a chance at this, but if we were to pick up PJ Hall or Quint Post in the portal no JWit is not starting (assuming Ingram is back). But what if we brought in one of those guys and Ingram left, Wit could well start, would that shock you?
To your last question, yes it would surprise me.
My expectations for next season would be subdued with what we have already, and what we can go out to procure.

Withers biggest problems:

- when he dribbles to attack the rim it almost always results in a turnover, bad pass, or missed shot.

- he's good around the rim (his best season was his freshman year playing center) but he insists he's a stretch forward despite possessing almost none of the offensive abilities to excel as a perimeter player

- he gets caught ball watching too much on defense, giving up wide open layups and jumpers

- he won't stay down on pump fakes, allowing opposing players to step through for easy layups or foul shots

He's a starter on a NIT level team. At UNC, he's a bench guy whose playing time fluctuates wildly bc from game to game you simply can't trust that his bad habits won't hurt the team too much.

If Ingram leaves, I expect Hubert to pursue a starter in the portal. There is no way Hubert will enter next season with Withers penciled into a starting spot.

Reactions: Heelicious
To your last question, yes it would surprise me.
My expectations for next season would be subdued with what we have already, and what we can go out to procure.
I respect your opinion even if I may not agree, I said may not rather than did not. I can't yet have expectations for next season because I don't know who we will have available. It is a bit like going from that last game we played and that early ending to our last season and looking at this one, had no idea who we would have available but knew we were going to lose a lot from that team and had no idea who we may be able to have brought in. My expectations for this season were anything but good exactly 1year ago to this day, my how that changed over the off season?

We know we have holes and we know the portal will be used to fil them, will we get a Ingram or a Justin Peirce? IDK, who we get will solve the calculus of expectations being set. I as well have no idea of how much a guy will develop in the coming off season, especially if he thinks he has a shot at starting level minutes? Look for example at Ingram, I was really excited when we got him but even I didn't expect that kid to play as well as he has for us. But when he committed to us many were not sure if he was starter level for us, I mean he came from a bad Stanford team and it was not like he was a 7ft guy or anything.

I would agree in as much if we get the same level of play from JWit that we got, especially the early season really poor play we got from him then expectations would be low if he were a starter. But his play over the second half of the season has been much different than his earlier season play was. If he continues to play like he has the second half of the ACC slate and builds on that this off season then yeah, I would for sure see him as starter level, no matter if he starts or not. I see Seth as a starter level player right now that does not start simply because we have amazing talent like RJ ahead of him. I am sure the guy that backed up MJ on the Bulls was a really talented guy and made millions in the NBA but no matter what he did MJ was and should have started every game he played.

I find it funny the poster (not you whizzer) giving his list of the problems with JWit and does not seem to even realize much of what the guy was doing early season has been cleaned up. Have you seen JWit throw the ball away like he was doing early season, see him doing that as of late, no you don't. Is he forcing as much as he was early season, you know he isn't, sure he still makes mistakes, they all do at times. Don't you just love it when a poster takes in some cases one single mistake made early season and hold it over a kid for the entire season just to make his point? I watched RJ casual with the ball and pretty much handed it to his defender vs Pitt, anyone now talking about how poor a ball handler RJ is? Anyone cringe at the fact that Cadeau was giving away way to many TOs this season, can't shoot a jump shot but is with out a doubt going to be our starting PG next season? LOL

Whiz, I am not going to tell you your opinion is wrong and I am not going to claim my opinion is right, I may disagree for right now and my opinion may change as new information comes in as may your own. I enjoy the respectful back and forth discussion but we are just discussing opinions and everyone has their own unique version of those. I will defend your right to your opinion with my last breath but I will defend my own opinions with just as much passion and to debate me you need to bring it! LOL

6'11" athletic freshman center is transferring from Oklahoma State bc his coach got fired.

Our biggest need at the moment is a STRONG center who can defend strong/fat opposing centers. Bacot is the only guy who can do that on our current roster and he's leaving at the end of the season. I'm not sure this kid fills that role unless Jonas can get him to bulk up, but he's definitely the best center prospect in the portal so far.

WANTED: Strong big guy to defend strong/fat Centers

Who can make the posters?

I respect your opinion even if I may not agree, I said may not rather than did not. I can't yet have expectations for next season because I don't know who we will have available. It is a bit like going from that last game we played and that early ending to our last season and looking at this one, had no idea who we would have available but knew we were going to lose a lot from that team and had no idea who we may be able to have brought in. My expectations for this season were anything but good exactly 1year ago to this day, my how that changed over the off season?

We know we have holes and we know the portal will be used to fil them, will we get a Ingram or a Justin Peirce? IDK, who we get will solve the calculus of expectations being set. I as well have no idea of how much a guy will develop in the coming off season, especially if he thinks he has a shot at starting level minutes? Look for example at Ingram, I was really excited when we got him but even I didn't expect that kid to play as well as he has for us. But when he committed to us many were not sure if he was starter level for us, I mean he came from a bad Stanford team and it was not like he was a 7ft guy or anything.

I would agree in as much if we get the same level of play from JWit that we got, especially the early season really poor play we got from him then expectations would be low if he were a starter. But his play over the second half of the season has been much different than his earlier season play was. If he continues to play like he has the second half of the ACC slate and builds on that this off season then yeah, I would for sure see him as starter level, no matter if he starts or not. I see Seth as a starter level player right now that does not start simply because we have amazing talent like RJ ahead of him. I am sure the guy that backed up MJ on the Bulls was a really talented guy and made millions in the NBA but no matter what he did MJ was and should have started every game he played.

I find it funny the poster (not you whizzer) giving his list of the problems with JWit and does not seem to even realize much of what the guy was doing early season has been cleaned up. Have you seen JWit throw the ball away like he was doing early season, see him doing that as of late, no you don't. Is he forcing as much as he was early season, you know he isn't, sure he still makes mistakes, they all do at times. Don't you just love it when a poster takes in some cases one single mistake made early season and hold it over a kid for the entire season just to make his point? I watched RJ casual with the ball and pretty much handed it to his defender vs Pitt, anyone now talking about how poor a ball handler RJ is? Anyone cringe at the fact that Cadeau was giving away way to many TOs this season, can't shoot a jump shot but is with out a doubt going to be our starting PG next season? LOL

Whiz, I am not going to tell you your opinion is wrong and I am not going to claim my opinion is right, I may disagree for right now and my opinion may change as new information comes in as may your own. I enjoy the respectful back and forth discussion but we are just discussing opinions and everyone has their own unique version of those. I will defend your right to your opinion with my last breath but I will defend my own opinions with just as much passion and to debate me you need to bring it! LOL
Thanks for your honesty David, I respect your opinion as well. My opinion of JWith being a starter, doesn't dampen my admiration for him as a valuable piece of our rotation. If he buys in for another year as a rotation piece, I would be tickled pink! The other poster making the remark that J With could only start for an NIT type team, was obviously just trying to get a negative reaction from you. JWith would be a welcome starter for a good number of NCAAT teams competing.
You are spot on when you say that trying to predict the portal is a experiment in futility this early in the game. That being said, the last few years have given me a real RUSH when talking about rosters. As much as I HATE the transfer portal, it sure is a nice feature for a Program like Carolins to just pluck and play lol 😆

And Okonkwo - whom I expect to improve next season.

I'll be very disappointed if Withers leaves. He wasn't as ready for prime time as I and some others expected, but he's improved a lot recently. If he continues to build on that, he could still become a starter-level player for us.

He's 2nd best in 2-pt% and FT% among returning scholarship players. Looking at per-40 numbers, he's 3rd in blocks, and 5th in points. If you leave out the guys who mostly played scrub minutes, he rises a spot or 2 on some of those, because most of his minutes came during contested parts of games.

He looks even better when you consider that he's making fewer mistakes late in the season, and playing more within himself, as they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
Our staff should know by now whether Washington is going to be able to add the muscle and stamina to start for us next season.

Does anybody have their finger on that pulse? Because knowing that definitely shapes what we should be looking for up front in the portal.

Our staff should know by now whether Washington is going to be able to add the muscle and stamina to start for us next season.

Does anybody have their finger on that pulse? Because knowing that definitely shapes what we should be looking for up front in the portal.
I don't mean to insult the kid, Jalen is one of my favorite players on this team but to describe him physically I would call him long and lanky, really long arms! Those kind of guys struggle to add muscle, for most with his lanky build they have never spent much time in a weight room and do not like lifting.

Have to keep in mind that this last off season was the first time in years the kid was not completely concerned with rehab, where he could focus on things like strength and stamina. I saw very marked development from him this season, I consider this season to be his freshman season, honestly wish he had red shirted last season because I think we all saw he was really tentative and frankly how could he not be considering what he has had to go thru to get where he is today.

Jalen has a lot that needs working on, further conditioning to his lower body will help a lot, upper body strength will help a lot as well. Those 2 things I think will really help him defensively, his foot work is let's say a work on progress and leave it at that. But offensively, kid really needs to take more advantage of his jump shooting ability, I think it could be a game changer ability that we have only seen glimpses of so far but those glimpses leave me excited about what he can become.

I don't mean to insult the kid, Jalen is one of my favorite players on this team but to describe him physically I would call him long and lanky, really long arms! Those kind of guys struggle to add muscle, for most with his lanky build they have never spent much time in a weight room and do not like lifting.

Have to keep in mind that this last off season was the first time in years the kid was not completely concerned with rehab, where he could focus on things like strength and stamina. I saw very marked development from him this season, I consider this season to be his freshman season, honestly wish he had red shirted last season because I think we all saw he was really tentative and frankly how could he not be considering what he has had to go thru to get where he is today.

Jalen has a lot that needs working on, further conditioning to his lower body will help a lot, upper body strength will help a lot as well. Those 2 things I think will really help him defensively, his foot work is let's say a work on progress and leave it at that. But offensively, kid really needs to take more advantage of his jump shooting ability, I think it could be a game changer ability that we have only seen glimpses of so far but those glimpses leave me excited about what he can become.
I wonder if Maxine Raynaud (7'1 235) and Jalen (6'10 225) could be on the floor together? Their percentages are somewhat similar, but Raynaud is used to playing 29mpg vs Jalen's 8.5. Both are decent outside shooters and decent rebounders. Can you have more than one of those tall, lanky guys with similar skills on the floor at the same time?

I wonder what Ingram thinks of his former teammate? If Ingram gives him a strong thumbs up, I say go after him.

Maxime isn't the only Stanford guy in the portal, either. I think it's a great opportunity for us to have Harrison able to tell us whether any of them would be a good fit.

I wonder if Maxine Raynaud (7'1 235) and Jalen (6'10 225) could be on the floor together? Their percentages are somewhat similar, but Raynaud is used to playing 29mpg vs Jalen's 8.5. Both are decent outside shooters and decent rebounders. Can you have more than one of those tall, lanky guys with similar skills on the floor at the same time?
You can play anyone together.

But you won't win game without defense. And that's the problem. Neither of those guys can defend the modern stretch 4, which is basically a small forward.

They also both struggle defending centers. The reality is both are poor defensive players. You play them at Center to try and keep them in the paint to minimize how they hurt you on the defensive end of the floor.

I wonder what Ingram thinks of his former teammate? If Ingram gives him a strong thumbs up, I say go after him.

Maxime isn't the only Stanford guy in the portal, either. I think it's a great opportunity for us to have Harrison able to tell us whether any of them would be a good fit.
You mean like Henson and Zeller?😉

John Henson - shot blocker extraordinaire, amazing lateral quickness to guard the perimeter, 2 time ACC defensive player of the year, NBA lottery pick

Has no business ever being mentioned in a discussion about 2 current college players who are terrible defensive players.

Reactions: tarwhiz
John Henson - shot blocker extraordinaire, amazing lateral quickness to guard the perimeter, 2 time ACC defensive player of the year, NBA lottery pick

Has no business ever being mentioned in a discussion about 2 current college players who are terrible defensive players.
And the question was could 2 long lanky guys play together. That was the question asked, that was the question I responded to. 🙄🤣🥱

Cadeau, RJ, and Ingram return as starters next year. Yes, RJ and Ingram have options but they are viewed as late second round picks at best(so they have no NBA guarantee). Hubert gets into the portal for Bacots and Ryans replacement and its a quick favorite for a deep NCAA championship run. UNC has to be the top destination for elite portal big men with Bacot as face man. No center has gotten more notoriety. And Ryan has shown, wing shots are in great abundance in Huberts offense. UNC has huge selling points for the 2 elite portal replacements.

Hubert has no reluctance in using the portal and speaks highly of it. He will use it for needs but also to quickly transform the potential of a good team to an elite one. One side note, Cadeau is a great college talent, but not a great pro talent. Hubert gets a huge win with Cadeau running the show for the next 3/4 years. The pg position is not a need for Hubert. He can concentrate efforts elsewhere.

You can play anyone together.

But you won't win game without defense. And that's the problem. Neither of those guys can defend the modern stretch 4, which is basically a small forward.

They also both struggle defending centers. The reality is both are poor defensive players. You play them at Center to try and keep them in the paint to minimize how they hurt you on the defensive end of the floor.
That sounds right.

Just for fun, I looked up their DRtg ratings. Here are their numbers this season:

Raynaud = 102.8
Washington = 96.3

Just for comparison...
Leaky = 99.5
Henson = 86.6
Trimble = 103.4 (what?)

I confess no understanding of those numbers, but Jalen actually looks good. OTOH that's based on limited PT, not all of which was against the best players. So who knows how that will translate if he plays starter minutes next year? Does he become a better shooting Henson?

Cadeau, RJ, and Ingram return as starters next year. Yes, RJ and Ingram have options but they are viewed as late second round picks at best(so they have no NBA guarantee). Hubert gets into the portal for Bacots and Ryans replacement and its a quick favorite for a deep NCAA championship run. UNC has to be the top destination for elite portal big men with Bacot as face man. No center has gotten more notoriety. And Ryan has shown, wing shots are in great abundance in Huberts offense. UNC has huge selling points for the 2 elite portal replacements.

Hubert has no reluctance in using the portal and speaks highly of it. He will use it for needs but also to quickly transform the potential of a good team to an elite one. One side note, Cadeau is a great college talent, but not a great pro talent. Hubert gets a huge win with Cadeau running the show for the next 3/4 years. The pg position is not a need for Hubert. He can concentrate efforts elsewhere.
I am fully on board with your assessment of Cadeau. I think there is a better chance of him playing 4 years at Carolina, than playing 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT