ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald's All American center Brandon Garrison enters the transfer portal

That sounds right.

Just for fun, I looked up their DRtg ratings. Here are their numbers this season:

Raynaud = 102.8
Washington = 96.3

Just for comparison...
Leaky = 99.5
Henson = 86.6
Trimble = 103.4 (what?)

I confess no understanding of those numbers, but Jalen actually looks good. OTOH that's based on limited PT, not all of which was against the best players. So who knows how that will translate if he plays starter minutes next year? Does he become a better shooting Henson?
The min allocated to Washington this year makes judging his future level of play very difficult, so I am glad you pointed that out.
The staff has the benefit of seeing him work against Bacot and Withers/ Ingram every day in practices, that we as fans do not see.
He more than any other player on our roster, is harder for the casual spectator to project. I will say, he will never reach the defensive capability of John Henson, who in my opinion may be the best frontcourt defensive player in Carolina history.
If Huberts first portal call is a 5 man, we will have our answer very quickly. As it stands now, we already have a lot of depth returning up front, to add to that, means the staff is not satisfied they are at a championship level.

That sounds right.

Just for fun, I looked up their DRtg ratings. Here are their numbers this season:

Raynaud = 102.8
Washington = 96.3

Just for comparison...
Leaky = 99.5
Henson = 86.6
Trimble = 103.4 (what?)

I confess no understanding of those numbers, but Jalen actually looks good. OTOH that's based on limited PT, not all of which was against the best players. So who knows how that will translate if he plays starter minutes next year? Does he become a better shooting Henson?
Nah, not gonna do it, just wrote a long winded, long even for me reply about Jalen this season. Hit the post reply button and got a ooops, something happened re-do and when I finally got it back half of it was cut via the post editor. So the combination of being to lazy to recreate it, I elected to hold my comments there for the off season where I think there will be more than a little discussion about Jalen Washington.

Does he become a better shooting version of Henson? LOL, well I will go half of the way with ya, he will become a better shooter than Henson but a guy with Henson's skill set and crazy length is rare. As for this Raynaud guy, I don't yet know enough to get excited. I think between Ingram and the kid's former coach Haas, we should be able to get as good a read on the kid's ability to play within what we do as any one else could at least. I like 7 feet, you can teach a lot of things but you can not coach a kid to grow to 7ft. Want me to be interested in a kid just say 7 feet tall or Lawson quickness or plays with a Hansbourgh motor or jump shoots like Donald Williams, you will have my interest!

The min allocated to Washington this year makes judging his future level of play very difficult, so I am glad you pointed that out.
The staff has the benefit of seeing him work against Bacot and Withers/ Ingram every day in practices, that we as fans do not see.
He more than any other player on our roster, is harder for the casual spectator to project. I will say, he will never reach the defensive capability of John Henson, who in my opinion may be the best frontcourt defensive player in Carolina history.
If Huberts first portal call is a 5 man, we will have our answer very quickly. As it stands now, we already have a lot of depth returning up front, to add to that, means the staff is not satisfied they are at a championship level.
Whiz, you had me up to the "if Hubert's first call in the portal is for a big man" and there I had to spit the hook. I think no matter what happens from here on out, Hubert's first call in the portal will be to a center, the word "IF" does not belong. Hubert would not deserve his job if he does not address the need to tap the portal for a center, as good a center as we can get, yes starter level for sure! Jalen has to much still needed development right now, can he work this off season and put himself in position to battle for that starting 5 job, I don't know if he can win it, don't know who he will have to battle for that job, same question could be asked about JWit?

There are simply to many un-knowns right now to be able to trust our returnees will be able to cover once Bacot has played his last game for us. And you have to realize, right now, when Hubert makes his case to come to UNC to upper classmen big men in the portal, look how darn attractive that offer will be. Bacot is GONE and players across this country will look at that and define it as a WIDE OPEN HOLE to start for UNC and I can walk right in to that! I will get to play with a great PG in Cadeau, I may even have RJ back, Hubert will let me jump shoot, that is everything a big time center in the portal could wish for and it is right there for the taking.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Whiz, you had me up to the "if Hubert's first call in the portal is for a big man" and there I had to spit the hook. I think no matter what happens from here on out, Hubert's first call in the portal will be to a center, the word "IF" does not belong. Hubert would not deserve his job if he does not address the need to tap the portal for a center, as good a center as we can get, yes starter level for sure! Jalen has to much still needed development right now, can he work this off season and put himself in position to battle for that starting 5 job, I don't know if he can win it, don't know who he will have to battle for that job, same question could be asked about JWit?

There are simply to many un-knowns right now to be able to trust our returnees will be able to cover once Bacot has played his last game for us. And you have to realize, right now, when Hubert makes his case to come to UNC to upper classmen big men in the portal, look how darn attractive that offer will be. Bacot is GONE and players across this country will look at that and define it as a WIDE OPEN HOLE to start for UNC and I can walk right in to that! I will get to play with a great PG in Cadeau, I may even have RJ back, Hubert will let me jump shoot, that is everything a big time center in the portal could wish for and it is right there for the taking.
I agree.
Just thought I would throw it out there if the Staff is seeing something completely different than we are all seeing.

Good comment by the way!

Reactions: DSouthr
I agree.
Just thought I would throw it out there if the Staff is seeing something completely different than we are all seeing.
They see what we see, if anything they see it more clear. We see the games but they see it all and they know what they are doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT