ADVERTISEMENT

movie habits

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
Not to take away from the other movie thread, what are your habits when going to catch a flick.
I usually do not go the first night it is released unless it it something I consider epic like Star Wars. I like mid afternoon movies. Must have popcorn although I am close to finished with it by the time the movie starts. I get there as early as possible to get the seat at the top mid row. We went to see Madeia year before last and was stuck on the front row. I will never watch another movie like that again. I rarely go to the movies alone. I must have lots of butter with my popcorn. The one in my home town does not butter for you. They have a butter machine for you to use after you pay for it. Sucks cause you can't get all the popcorn covered like I want.
I Dont mind saying something to you if you are loud during a movie either.
How about you?

Yeah, lots of butter for me. I seldom go though. I once was at the movies and this kid about 18 or so wouldn't shut up during the entire thing so when we got up to leave I went to put my jacket on and clocked him right in the jaw so it seemed like it was just me putting my arm through my sleeve. It felt good.

I don't go to the first day showing of a movie. I usually wait until the movie has been out for a week or 2. I always go in the morning...first showing of the day. Matinee price, popcorn is fresh. I always have popcorn and I usually ask for the popcorn they just finished popping in the back. No butter, straight popcorn. If I remember to take parmesan cheese, I'll put it on my popcorn but absolutely no butter. I go early so I can get a seat on top row. I can't stand to have people seated behind me because you can hear everyone talking.

I also enjoyed the dollar theater that was in north myrtle beach years ago. Would still play movies till they were released on vhs.

2 years ago, my wife found a bedbug on her just after walking out the movies. Talk about feeling out. She is already a compulsive ocd clean freak anyway. I am real good friends with one of the health inspectors. Sent him a text showing the bedbug. Let's say the manager of the theater did not enjoy the visit the next day. Fortunately , they did not have an infestation. Inspector said it most likely came in with someone prior to us.

I hate going and dealing with crowds, etc. so don't go to the large theaters anymore for new releases. Generally just wait for it to hit on demand. When the pressure from my wife becomes unbearable, we go to a small vintage theater that shows film festival type movies and has a bar so I can sip on scotch while miserable.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
images

Reactions: jcolucci
I go to a lot of afternoon showings alone. I usually wait until the movie has been out for a week at least so it's not crowded either. I get a popcorn with butter and get there early enough to see the trailers and get a good seat. I will not hesitate to tell someone to be quiet once the trailers start, but don't really run into this very often.

One of the nice things about living in Charlotte is that we have Studio Movie Grille in the middle of town. I don't go to a ton of movies, but this is the meeting spot when we have a guys' outing to see a film (Avengers, Hobbit, etc.).

You can reserve seats weeks in advance, all of which are the size of La-Z-Boys. The seats are spacious and comfortable. The way the aisles are laid out means if you get four people to go you won't have anyone beside you except your friends.

Each seat in the theater has a call button to signal a server. The server will bring you anything from their gastro pub-style menu and/or the fully-stocked bar. Our typical routine is to meet for a showing after work and just order dinner and drinks in the theater.

They validate your parking if you park in the garage below the building. The tickets are the same price as a regular theater. Where they make their margins is on the food prices. None of the entrees are under $11 and unless there's a special you're going to pay about $4 for a domestic beer, more for premiums. Not outrageous, but it adds up quickly. But considering the convenience of it, it's hard to beat.

I am a fan of going opening weekend. I usually have movies on my radar months in advance, and if it's something I'm really excited for, then I'm there opening weekend (and often opening day) for sure. I prefer to go to matinees to save a couple of bucks, but if I want to go with people, it often ends up being a night showing.

I have to have popcorn, and I found out about something a few years ago that has absolutely changed my life with the popcorn. Put a bag of peanut M&M's in there and shake the bag for distribution. The butter, the chocolate, the nuts, it all works. Just great. Next time you go, try it. You won't regret it.

If I go with someone to the movies (which I don't always go with someone because if I want to see a movie, I'm going and it's up to you to join me, haha), I usually let them pick seating. It sort of depends on the movie for me for deciding seats. I sit middle of the row if it's something I know the effects will be worth it. I usually sit in the first 5-6 rows.

We've become addicted to seeing movies in imax 3d. Course its expensive so we only see 3 or 4 blockbusters a year. So far we've seen the two latest lotr movies and the latest star trek that way and they were incredible.

Wife and I will go to the earliest show possible sometimes (11:40 am) . . matinees are okay by me. Never on a first showing, first week is okay, but, not usually as I like a theater all to myself. I get the largest popcorn available without butter or salt, free refills on popcorn if you buy the largest size . .

Not to take away from the other movie thread, what are your habits when going to catch a flick.
I usually do not go the first night it is released unless it it something I consider epic like Star Wars. I like mid afternoon movies. Must have popcorn although I am close to finished with it by the time the movie starts. I get there as early as possible to get the seat at the top mid row. We went to see Madeia year before last and was stuck on the front row. I will never watch another movie like that again. I rarely go to the movies alone. I must have lots of butter with my popcorn. The one in my home town does not butter for you. They have a butter machine for you to use after you pay for it. Sucks cause you can't get all the popcorn covered like I want.
I Dont mind saying something to you if you are loud during a movie either.
How about you?
Have to have popcorn, drink, and Twizzlers. Definitely don't do opening night because I went to see Batman as a kid, my dad got us there right at start time, and we ended up on the front row off to one side. My neck hurt for a week! One of my biggest pet peeves though is I HAVE to get there for the previews. It almost makes the movie less enticing if I can't see the previews.

Wow! I didn't realize movies were still so popular. I might go to the movies once every 2 years or so.

Wow! I didn't realize movies were still so popular. I might go to the movies once every 2 years or so.

I think of it more as a night (or afternoon) out with the wife when we go see a movie. The movie usually precedes a meal at California Pizza Kitchen or someplace similar.
We watch a lot of movies at home, but, some are maybe a little better in the theater . . 'Gravity' was just such one.

I go at least once a month, but I go more in the summer. In the summer, I'm usually seeing one every two weeks or so, sometimes more frequently than that. I love movies period, but there are many that I enjoy the experience of watching them on the big screen and allowing myself to be submersed in the experience.

I usually only watch big ticket movies on the big screen. I Dont care for the 3-d movies . Always seem too dark to me. Plus its bad when you get popcorn butter on the lenses

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT