ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Memorabilia

WhatTheHeel?

All-American
Mar 31, 2002
Does anyone here know of a good place to sell some old UNC memorabilia? I've done searches for sports memorabilia stores but they all seem to be focused on trading cards. The things I'm trying to part with aren't like cards, signed jerseys, etc... Some of the things I do see on eBay so I could go that route for some of it. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I have:

I apologize if this comes across as a solicitation from the board members and if it needs to be deleted, I understand. I can put up a list of some of what I'm trying to sell, if it's allowed.

Does anyone here know of a good place to sell some old UNC memorabilia? I've done searches for sports memorabilia stores but they all seem to be focused on trading cards. The things I'm trying to part with aren't like cards, signed jerseys, etc... Some of the things I do see on eBay so I could go that route for some of it. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I have:

I apologize if this comes across as a solicitation from the board members and if it needs to be deleted, I understand. I can put up a list of some of what I'm trying to sell, if it's allowed.
Also, you could always reach out to the collective or Ram's Club to see if they would take them as donations for a future auction, give away, or something. But I'd say eBay gets you in the biggest audience. You could also consider posting it on FB Marketplace.

Thanks guys.

I've sold other stuff on eBay and would consider that for some of the items, but my question mark is that I have about 15 years of Carolina Blue newspapers. I see someone is selling issues individually, but there's no way I want to go through that process. Also, when I filter to show "sold" listings for CB newspapers, there are none sold. Maybe there's just not a market for them.

I know Digital NC is digitizing old newspapers. Maybe I can see if they want to scan them before I do anything with them.

Reactions: pooponduke
I’ve got a sports illustrated with hansbrough on the cover committing an offensive foul on draymond green of mich st. (Lol) It’s signed by 6 of the team including Hans. Not worth much but one of my fav piece of memorabilia

I have a bunch of shit too: ball signed by the whole 2016-2017 team, newspapers (championship editions) magazines, commemorative cans of coke, etc. I once treasured this stuff and I still find it interesting but it doesn’t mean that much to me anymore. And I don’t feel like going through the rigmarole of trying to sell it. So I gave it all to my kids. They’ll either eventually sell it if they want to put in that work or they’ll be saddled with it until they give it to their kids.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I have a bunch of shit too: ball signed by the whole 2016-2017 team, newspapers (championship editions) magazines, commemorative cans of coke, etc. I once treasured this stuff and I still find it interesting but it doesn’t mean that much to me anymore. And I don’t feel like going through the rigmarole of trying to sell it. So I gave it all to my kids. They’ll either eventually sell it if they want to put in that work or they’ll be saddled with it until they give it to their kids.
I used to be obsessed with collecting and trading back in the day. My BIL who was a fanatical South Carolina and redskins fan traded me the iconic fleer Michael Jordan rookie card for my signed George rogers rookie card. At the time the rogers card was worth more and my BIL was ecstatic. I’ve told my kids when I die if they do anything to take possession of that card off the mantle first of all. I’ve never had it graded, its fuking cut off center, but might be near mint. If so it’s worth about 5-6k. George rogers? About $20.

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
I used to be obsessed with collecting and trading back in the day. My BIL who was a fanatical South Carolina and redskins fan traded me the iconic fleer Michael Jordan rookie card for my signed George rogers rookie card. At the time the rogers card was worth more and my BIL was ecstatic. I’ve told my kids when I die if they do anything to take possession of that card off the mantle first of all. I’ve never had it graded, its fuking cut off center, but might be near mint. If so it’s worth about 5-6k. George rogers? About $20.

During COVID, my boys and I had a plan to go through the roughly 5000 sports cards I had and organize them and put them in notebooks and then take them somewhere and have them appraised. It took us months. We organized by sport, then by team and had them in the plastic sheets and all. Finally we found a local guy and took all our shit. Out of over 5000 cards, he was interested in like 3 or 4 (one being a MJ rookie card) for a total of like $30. lol. What a disappointment that was to my kids.

Just some advice for anyone else thinking of doing the same, our issue was that many of my cards were not in mint condition. But many were in mint. The issue with those was that a lot of them are from a time (late 80s through mid 90s) when cards were produced at an unprecedented level. Saturation. No rarity to them. Some good cards but they just made so many of them that every collector already has them. I do have one Yogi Berra card worth about $250 but I didn't even take that one to get looked at.

On a side note, I have some awesome Star Wars trading cards that the dude said could have gotten some money if they had been in better condition. WTF do people expect? You make something for kids and then it loses value because kids do kids stuff with them. It all left me kind of bitter that I had hung on to all of that shit throughout the years, through moves and storing them all and whatnot. But, if nothing else, it gave me and my boys some shit to do during COVID so I guess it wasn't all bad.

During COVID, my boys and I had a plan to go through the roughly 5000 sports cards I had and organize them and put them in notebooks and then take them somewhere and have them appraised. It took us months. We organized by sport, then by team and had them in the plastic sheets and all. Finally we found a local guy and took all our shit. Out of over 5000 cards, he was interested in like 3 or 4 (one being a MJ rookie card) for a total of like $30. lol. What a disappointment that was to my kids.

Just some advice for anyone else thinking of doing the same, our issue was that many of my cards were not in mint condition. But many were in mint. The issue with those was that a lot of them are from a time (late 80s through mid 90s) when cards were produced at an unprecedented level. Saturation. No rarity to them. Some good cards but they just made so many of them that every collector already has them. I do have one Yogi Berra card worth about $250 but I didn't even take that one to get looked at.

On a side note, I have some awesome Star Wars trading cards that the dude said could have gotten some money if they had been in better condition. WTF do people expect? You make something for kids and then it loses value because kids do kids stuff with them. It all left me kind of bitter that I had hung on to all of that shit throughout the years, through moves and storing them all and whatnot. But, if nothing else, it gave me and my boys some shit to do during COVID so I guess it wasn't all bad.
when I was like 8 my elderly neighbor died and his wife gave me his baseball card collection. All loose in a shoe box. There was a hank Aaron rookie card. I took that to school stuck in my back pocket unprotected getting all bent and worn and showed it off and carried it around to show my friends for days. (Baseball was way wayyyyyy more popular then) Then lost it. I don’t regret it though. I enjoyed the hell out of that card more than any I ever owned.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I’ve got the 82 UNC blue and white basketball signed by the championship team. Crazy story how I got it but basically traded an autographed Madison Bumgarner World Series jersey for it lol.

I was in a sporting goods store in Annapolis in 1983. On the wall was a large photo poster of Michael Jordan
dribbling the ball flanked by Jimmy Black, James Worthy, and Sam Perkins in a game vs Kentucky from
December, 1981 at the Meadowlands. I thought, “Wow, we were at that game.”
In the background crowd, l clearly recognized my two brothers, our two friends, and myself. When l shared
my recollection with the store manager, he took it off the wall and gave it to me. 😁

I was in a sporting goods store in Annapolis in 1983. On the wall was a large photo poster of Michael Jordan
dribbling the ball flanked by Jimmy Black, James Worthy, and Sam Perkins in a game vs Kentucky from
December, 1981 at the Meadowlands. I thought, “Wow, we were at that game.”
In the background crowd, l clearly recognized my two brothers, our two friends, and myself. When l shared
my recollection with the store manager, he took it off the wall and gave it to me. 😁
That's awesome. Great story.

I've got a whole curio filled with UNC knick knacks. A whole wall devoted to my UNC stuff...back in the 70s and 80s... really cool, some handmade. I have pennants from when I was a kid in all that stuff. Looks cool to me. Some I bought, some were gifts, souvenirs from games... I've always had UNC stuff on display. The UNC mascot, colors and name was part of the appeal. They have the best colors by far.

I used to hate it when some of those old pennants in the 60s and 70s would say "No Carolina." I used to trade with classmates.

I also have the Ramses tattoo in my avatar. I doubt I will sell it.

I still have an unopened six pack of this "Blue Soda" that was available regionally, I think, after the 82 championship. Cans are blue with the ram and the final score. What sucked was, there was the Red soda the very next year, same distributor.

I was playing ball with my best friend and neighbor over at his house when I realized the ball had some writing on it. This was the late 70’s. We both were huge unc fans and hated state. He also hated his state alum stepfather who had a basketball with all the state players sigs from the ‘74 title team that may have ended up getting bounced in the driveway for a couple hours then left in the ditch.

North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-UNC-Vintage-1982-NCAA.webp

^ I have one of those. Also have 2009. And then some weird “Roy Williams Day” cokes as well.

I used to have some Star Wars cards too. And my cousin and I collected KISS cards for some reason--I didn't listen to them at the time. The only thing Star Wars I have that is of some value now is a Darth Vader action figure still in the packaging--but there's some wear on the packaging. Like you said, I was 8-10 years old. I played with all the stuff.

I used to have some Star Wars cards too. And my cousin and I collected KISS cards for some reason--I didn't listen to them at the time. The only thing Star Wars I have that is of some value now is a Darth Vader action figure still in the packaging--but there's some wear on the packaging. Like you said, I was 8-10 years old. I played with all the stuff.

Nice. I have probably 100 Star Wars action figures and the Darth Vader carrying case. Thats what I kept from my Star Wars obsession days. I wish I had kept everything. I had the Millennium Falcon, the Death Star, an At-At, an X-wing fighter, the weird animal that Luke cuts open to stay warm on Hoth and a handful of other toys. Sold them or broke them back in the day. I can’t imagine how much all the shit would be worth now.

Nice. I have probably 100 Star Wars action figures and the Darth Vader carrying case. Thats what I kept from my Star Wars obsession days. I wish I had kept everything. I had the Millennium Falcon, the Death Star, an At-At, an X-wing fighter, the weird animal that Luke cuts open to stay warm on Hoth and a handful of other toys. Sold them or broke them back in the day. I can’t imagine how much all the shit would be worth now.
I'd tell you that the weird animal was a Tauntaun, but I don't want you to think I'm that much of a Star Wars geek.
I had one of those too, you could stick the action figure down into its back so it looked like he was riding it.

I had a Snowspeeder, Jawa Droid Factory, Stormtrooper Transporter, and a Landspeeder. I don't know where they ended up. Maybe with my nephew or maybe in a landfill.

I'd tell you that the weird animal was a Tauntaun, but I don't want you to think I'm that much of a Star Wars geek.
I had one of those too, you could stick the action figure down into its back so it looked like he was riding it.

I had a Snowspeeder, Jawa Droid Factory, Stormtrooper Transporter, and a Landspeeder. I don't know where they ended up. Maybe with my nephew or maybe in a landfill.

Yes! The Tauntaun. Yeah, the back had a little spring loaded door where the action figure could fit down in it. You nailed it.

I think I had the landspeeder too. Was that the reddish-brown hovercraft that Luke rode around on in the dessert?

Yeah, my dad bought a whole case in a cardboard tray. It was some kind of grape flavoring, I think. Tasted so syrupy and too sweet.
If they weren't any good originally, imagine how they'd be now if you tried one! They could probably use those things for prisoner torture and they'd confess to all kinds of things.

If they weren't any good originally, imagine how they'd be now if you tried one! They could probably use those things for prisoner torture and they'd confess to all kinds of things.
I take special precautions. I don't want the stuff to ever leak out.

Good idea, it might be the beginning of one of those creature from the lagoon movies otherwise.
I'm sure it would be a mess.

I've got 3 framed prints from an artist that did these sort of cartoony-caricatures of 2 of the basketball teams and one football team, the 81-82 champions, same era football team with Kelvin Bryant, and the 82-83 basketball team. I don't know if he was an artist from the Triangle or what.
Dale E Dodson...

The 82 team looks like this:

s-l1600.webp

These prints were for sale in a sports-shop- sold all kinds of sports gear and stuff (Tarrytown Mall! Rocky Mount NC). I even have the Rawlings UNC Football helmet. It was "full contact" with the two-bar facemask for kids... kinda like this (only this is Riddell, much better):

gu7781unc.jpg

I've got 3 framed prints from an artist that did these sort of cartoony-caricatures of 2 of the basketball teams and one football team, the 81-82 champions, same era football team with Kelvin Bryant, and the 82-83 basketball team. I don't know if he was an artist from the Triangle or what.
Dale E Dodson...

s-l1600.webp

These prints were for sale in a sports-shop- sold all kinds of sports gear and stuff (Tarrytown Mall! Rocky Mount NC). I even have the Rawlings UNC Football helmet. It was "full contact" with the two-bar facemask for kids... kinda like this (only this is Riddell, much better):

gu7781unc.jpg

I've got that same print! But yours has held up better than mine.

Also a print someone sketched of Amos Lawrence's helmet and Jersey.

Reactions: strummingram
@WhatTheHeel? A thought just crossed my mind. How close are you to Chapel Hill? There are a few stores on Franklin that have a lot of UNC memorabilia on display. They might be interested in taking some of that stuff.

Dale E Dodson...

s-l1600.webp

gu7781unc.jpg
I have that same caricature picture of the '82 team. I think it's pretty cool!

@WhatTheHeel? A thought just crossed my mind. How close are you to Chapel Hill? There are a few stores on Franklin that have a lot of UNC memorabilia on display. They might be interested in taking some of that stuff.
About 2.5 hours. May be worth a trip.

I heard back from DigitalNC about my Carolina Blue newspapers. They actually already have physical copies of every issue but are trying to secure the rights from the copyright holder. Maybe soon everyone will be able to scroll through the old issues.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I’ve got Wayne ellingtons championship ring. Or maybe not. It came with a COA but then a few years later I saw another one for sale on the internet with a COA. So I took another look at mine and the COA is cleverly worded to leave the door open that it’s not THE ring given to Ellington. I had it checked and it is real gold with real diamond chips. Someone makes duplicates I guess. Anyway it’s worth more than I originally paid for by gold weight alone so whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT