ADVERTISEMENT

My observations from Chambers-Hough game

Deana_King

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 31, 2001
I attended the 4A West Regional between Chambers and Hough Friday night. Chambers rallied from a 21-7 deficit in the 3rd quarter to win 35-21 to advance the next weekend’s state final against Cardinal Gibbons.

The UNC staff was present at the game. Coach Longo, Coach Thigpen, and others were on hand to watch prospects.

One of the main prospects was class of 2023 UNC commit quarterback Tad Hudson. The signal caller had two touchdown passes in leading the Huskies to a 21-7 lead, but struggled late in the game with the Cougar pass rush. He doesn’t have any big-time receivers to throw it to and that led to some turnovers.

Speaking of the Chambers pass rush, I was really impressed with class of 2022 defensive end James Pearce. He was in the backfield all night and made a huge play late in the game returning a turnover for a touchdown to seal the win. He is 6-foot-5 and looks like a huge wing-span. He has several offers but UNC hasn’t offered.

Class of 2023 standouts Daylan Smothers and Kevin Concepcion had big nights for the Cougars. Smothers ran for multiple scores and showed his speed in the open field. Concepcion made one of the biggest plays in the game by catching a circus-like catch to set up the game-tying score at the 2-yard line. Neither players have UNC offers yet.

Smothers received an offer from Ohio State this week. Concepcion had a great showing at the Showcase camp this summer.

They are juniors so with the staff being there they got first-hand evaluations.

Here is a clip of Smothers’ game winning score.

51FD7075-D104-4336-8A4A-FB2B8849AF1F.jpegPhoto by: Curt Fowler (NCPreps.com)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News