ADVERTISEMENT

Nas Little waived

Who cares???

How does this effect UNC basketball.
Are you trolling, or do you really not understand?

Recruits care a great deal about getting to the NBA. When a school or coaching staff isn't putting players into the league, recruits notice (and opposing coaches use it against us on the recruiting trail.)

Also, it's kind of ridiculous to post "who cares???" when you obviously cared enough to open the thread and post a reply.

Are you trolling, or do you really not understand?

Recruits care a great deal about getting to the NBA. When a school or coaching staff isn't putting players into the league, recruits notice (and opposing coaches use it against us on the recruiting trail.)

Also, it's kind of ridiculous to post "who cares???" when you obviously cared enough to open the thread and post a reply.
Recruits don’t care about that when picking a school anymore…They only want to know how much are you going to pay me right now…

Also why is it every time someone disagrees with you they are trolling…How old are you like 9…

I agree that today's recruits are often driven by financial incentives, but having current NBA players with a few All-Stars in the mix still adds tremendous value to a school's appeal. It's disheartening to think that 'Dean mentored legends, while Roy managed the reserves.'

He should hook up quickly with another NBA roster. It is a salary cap/room move. He needs to show thatcan stay healthy though for sure.
I sure hope he does. Portland and Phoenix fans both seem to think he's done in the NBA.

I agree that today's recruits are often driven by financial incentives, but having current NBA players with a few All-Stars in the mix still adds tremendous value to a

I agree that today's recruits are often driven by financial incentives, but having current NBA players with a few All-Stars in the mix still adds tremendous value to a school's appeal. It's disheartening to think that 'Dean mentored legends, while Roy managed the reserves.'
What’s disheartening is Dean only winning 2 NCAA Titles with all those legends and Roy winning 3 with the reserves and doing it in less time..

Reactions: 2000tiger
I hope and believe Nas will land on a roster, but this sucks for him nonetheless.
However, I believe now, more than ever, this has little to no effect on recruiting.

What’s disheartening is Dean only winning 2 NCAA Titles with all those legends and Roy winning 3 with the reserves and doing it in less time..
"That's life. It's not all roses all the time." -- Coach Williams, after vs. KU in 2008.

That is the quote that comes to mind thinking about the many heartbreaks as a tar heels fan.

Would Nas have been a more prepared player if he had stayed at Carolina another year or two? Probably. But dudes make choices.

I doubt Nas would have received better development in college than he did in the NBA. Had he stayed in school, he could have easily suffered the same fate as McAdoo, seeing his draft stock continue to slide and costing himself millions. Or the injuries that have hampered his pro career could have hit during college. As it stands now, he's still going to get paid his full contract from Phoenix. Even if he never plays another NBA game his career earning will be over $35 million. But hopefully he'll get a shot with another team.

Having a recruiting tool of saying we have loads of players currently in the NBA while it may not be the biggest bargaining tool it is for sure a tool that can be helpful.

Reactions: DaveChapelle
Would Nas have been a more prepared player if he had stayed at Carolina another year or two? Probably. But dudes make choices.
More prepared player? Yes, but as someone said, he made 35 million on NBA salaries. NBA still does, but back then was handing out big dollars just off the word potential.

He made the correct decision to leave school early, no matter how much I love my Heels and respect education, it is unlikely you will see 35 million by saying you played for UNC or getting a degree from UNC.

Forwards consistently knocking down the three was just becoming a thing when Little left. I watched Little only a few times in the NBA, so I am no expert on his current game, but I wouldn't call him a shooter. I would call him a strong and very athletic wing. He looks only about 6'6 and today's game at that size you will need to be a great defender (Guard 1-3). He never was a scorer in the sense of give him the ball and let him go get a bucket.

IMHO, Little's style of play reminds me of Withers on our current team. Little is a 10-12 man (Really good practice player). Unless your Zion the bully ball style is almost gone from NBA. Lebron can play bully ball, but his passing keeps him being special.

Best to Little, he should be able to fill out someone's roster, but he no longer has potential to rely on.

More prepared player? Yes, but as someone said, he made 35 million on NBA salaries. NBA still does, but back then was handing out big dollars just off the word potential.

He made the correct decision to leave school early, no matter how much I love my Heels and respect education, it is unlikely you will see 35 million by saying you played for UNC or getting a degree from UNC.

Forwards consistently knocking down the three was just becoming a thing when Little left. I watched Little only a few times in the NBA, so I am no expert on his current game, but I wouldn't call him a shooter. I would call him a strong and very athletic wing. He looks only about 6'6 and today's game at that size you will need to be a great defender (Guard 1-3). He never was a scorer in the sense of give him the ball and let him go get a bucket.

IMHO, Little's style of play reminds me of Withers on our current team. Little is a 10-12 man (Really good practice player). Unless your Zion the bully ball style is almost gone from NBA. Lebron can play bully ball, but his passing keeps him being special.

Best to Little, he should be able to fill out someone's roster, but he no longer has potential to rely on.

Or, hear me out...he possibly would have just made his $35 million a year or two later.

Whenever this discussion comes up, some people view it as all or nothing. He very likely could have stayed 1, 2 or 3 more years, left and still made the same money and had the same career.

But staying in school isn't always about getting better at basketball. It's about developing as a person and when that happens, it leads to other opportunities within and outside of basketball. I don't begrudge him for leaving when he did. He made the move he thought was right for him. He didn't make much of an impact at Carolina anyway so it's not like I was overly disappointed. I'm just saying that there's more to every decision than the instant gratification players get with money.

Last edited:
Or, hear me out...he possibly would have just made his $35 million a year or two later.

Whenever this discussion comes up, some people view it as all or nothing. He very likely could have stayed 1, 2 or 3 more years, left and still made the same money and had the same career.

But staying in school isn't always about getting better at basketball. It's about developing as a person and when that happens, it leads to other opportunities within and outside of basketball. I don't begrudge him for leaving when he did. He made the move he thought was right for him. He didn't make much of an impact at Carolina anyway so it's not like I was overly disappointed. I'm just saying that there's more to every decision than the instant gratification players get with money.
This can go both ways though. I don’t think it helped Harrison Barnes that he stayed an extra year. The timing worked out brilliantly for him. His falling draft stock allowed him to get drafted into a dynasty as opposed to maybe being a top 3 pick after his freshman year.

James Michael McAdoo probably gets drafted after his freshman year because he didn’t have the crappy tape of his sophomore and junior year, lol. Would he have lasted in the NBA? No but he would’ve gotten drafted potentially. Does that work against Roy?

I’m one who thinks having NBA equity helps UNC. And it would be nice to celebrate NBA success a little more significant than 2 way contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT