ADVERTISEMENT

New Kenan Seating

I actually have some renewed optimism after Thigpen was added to the staff. It seems to me like Fedora has brought in some solid recruits on offense, especially with the skill positions, but maybe not so much on defense. If Thigpen can fill in some of those gaps on defense, we may finally be able to achieve sustained success. I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but there's a chance.

I actually have some renewed optimism after Thigpen was added to the staff. It seems to me like Fedora has brought in some solid recruits on offense, especially with the skill positions, but maybe not so much on defense. If Thigpen can fill in some of those gaps on defense, we may finally be able to achieve sustained success. I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but there's a chance.
If Thig can keep the local talent on defense at home, then GREAT. Until then we will always be a pretender.

It doesn't really matter where the high level recruits come from. Typically, big programs dominate their footprint, but plenty of schools go all over the country to sign top level recruits. There's a lot of competition for the top recruits in NC, and most of them probably don't grow up die hard UNC football fans. We need a better strategy than simply locking down the state of NC. We aren't going to beat out the likes of Clemson for top level talent until we are already a playoff contender.

Reactions: UNCPJH81
how come we can find the money for new seats, the blue zone and an indoor practice monstrosity but we can't find more for better salaries?

how come we can find the money for new seats, the blue zone and an indoor practice monstrosity but we can't find more for better salaries?
Once the coaches are able to find the wins, the salary will come. BTW, all that stuff you mentioned can and will help with recruiting.

Reactions: Archer2
This isn't the time for any football coaches to ask for a raise. Though I have continually been on board with higher salaries for assistants.

AJ, I know you are busy but hopefully you can channel some of the game day experience suggestions along to the powers that be before next season. We definitely need to make some changes.

They should close down Franklin St. for every home football game, and have the bars sell drinks on the street so that people can walk around and socialize with their friends and family before the game. Have some kind of roped off area that you have to stay within with your beverage. The bars and restaurants would make a killing, and it would replicate a big time tailgating atmosphere.

That's interesting uncboy, I like the concept. Seems like the fans are very spread out because of the parking situation. I know they tried the rent a tent idea last season but I don't think that solved the problem. Need a spot to go to before the game for drinks, food, etc.

They should close down Franklin St. for every home football game, and have the bars sell drinks on the street so that people can walk around and socialize with their friends and family before the game. Have some kind of roped off area that you have to stay within with your beverage. The bars and restaurants would make a killing, and it would replicate a big time tailgating atmosphere.

Hahahaha

Apparently you are not familiar with the city council and general sentiment of residents of Chapel Hill regarding football games.

Hahahaha

Apparently you are not familiar with the city council and general sentiment of residents of Chapel Hill regarding football games.

Seems like it would be easier and safer than directing traffic through that area on saturdays tbh

Reactions: blazers
Hahahaha

you raise a valid point but i think unc boy might be on to something.
closing the street down in the 100 block just might fly.

Seems like it would be easier and safer than directing traffic through that area on saturdays tbh

It's a great idea.

Chapel Hill residents hate football, so don't ever expect any accommodations.

But Chapel Hill residents surely enjoy the money that UNC brings to the town. It's not like the university doesn't have some clout with the town. We need something fairly big and dramatic to make an impact.

Supposedly, recent grads can choose any zone for the $150 price. That’s pretty great incentive for them to get on board

It's a great idea.

Chapel Hill residents hate football, so don't ever expect any accommodations.

Ah. Yeah I'm not too familiar with that situation. How much sway do ordinary citizens really have with a situation like that? Especially when there is this much money involved.

Best idea I’ve heard in a while.

Reactions: uncboy10
Ah. Yeah I'm not too familiar with that situation. How much sway do ordinary citizens really have with a situation like that? Especially when there is this much money involved.

Ordinary citizens of Chapel Hill are the ones who don't care for crowds coming to town and messing everything up- especially for football. And those are the ones who vote for town council members.

How much is the practice facility going to cost?

Apparently the new seats are only costing like 7 million, drop in the bucket.

Ordinary citizens of Chapel Hill are the ones who don't care for crowds coming to town and messing everything up- especially for football. And those are the ones who vote for town council members.
town council members in chapel hill are no different than anywhere else when it comes to money.
give them premier parking, seats in the presidents box to impress their friends. done deal.
a little under the table wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: UNC71-00
It doesn't really matter where the high level recruits come from. Typically, big programs dominate their footprint, but plenty of schools go all over the country to sign top level recruits. There's a lot of competition for the top recruits in NC, and most of them probably don't grow up die hard UNC football fans. We need a better strategy than simply locking down the state of NC. We aren't going to beat out the likes of Clemson for top level talent until we are already a playoff contender.
Welcome to at least one of my bandwagons.

I have said, as long as there has been internet discussion of sports, that in order to become a true national power in football, UNC must recruit nationally. The reasons are: NC has 4 schools in a Major conference, and Moo is a larger school with many more in-state students and many more grads living in state; everybody in the old ACC and almost all of the new ACC teams and the entire SEC East recruits NC rather heavily; more than a few top NC recruits are, shall we say, less than serious scholar athletes, and the UNC administration will always put the brakes on accepting more than a few of them.

There simply is not enough talent in NC that UNC can sign and get admitted and keep eligible for UNC to be a consistent football power. UNC must recruit very widely, like ND and Stanford, in order to win consistently (and I do not mean winning 7 games per year).

That leads to 2 conclusions. One is that we require a staff that knows it must recruit nationally, rather than rely on being a 2nd rate Clemson or VT. That staff must be effective at recognizing late developing and under-rated talent that is hard working and largely free of academic 'issues.'

NC, SC, ands VA are not filled with such players who can be key parts of a national power. But the nation is. There are as many from the midwest as from the South (but the midwest does not have nearly as many 5* and high 4* recruits as the South). There are more from TX than from NC, SC, and VA combined.

If Stanford, a private school that pre-Harbaugh had almost as few football fans as Dook, could develop an extremely successful national recruiting system, then so can UNC. With the right HC.

Second, there is a necessary implication to your correct assertion that we cannot out=recruit Clemson until we also become a national contender. And that necessary implication is that we require as HC someone who can win with Xs and Os. If you can't out-recruit others, you must out-coach them, or else they dominate you.

Harbaugh out-coached the entire Pac, and by the end of his time, Stanford was winning recruiting battles SC and ND for many top national players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT