ADVERTISEMENT

Not to beat a dead horse, but Rivals rankings question

cheerwine

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2003
Andrew and the gang,

This is my first post in years as I was a long time member(mostly lurker). dropped off rivals premium in the fedora years, and decided to join again, since carolina football is exciting again. Sorry to start a new thread, but I didn't want to get lost in the bottom of an old thread.

Since i missed the initial rush on the rivals announcement, I had a couple of questions/statements to make.

-whoever is evaluating NC (chad simmons?) for rivals shows a complete lack of self awareness. I am not bitching about some anti-UNC bias of complain they underrated some of our commits, i am talking about disrespect to the state of North Carolina in football. I love to follow football recruiting, and Rivals ranking is a huge drag in the composite rankings of a number of NC kids(to state the obvious, rankings are not the end all, be all.....but they do give a general sense of program health and impact other recruits and public perception ).
-i looked back over last 10 years, in 8 years there were at least 11 or more 4 stars. So rivals currently by their grading think the 21 class has slightly fewer elite recruits than the past? Every single person involved in recruiting and in this state says the opposite. ESPN has 22 4 stars and 20 NC products in their top 300. 247 has 21 4 stars and the composite(rivals/espn/247) 17 4 stars. I am a premium 247 member so can read other boards. The guys at 247 State/UNC/VaTech/So carolina boards have all said this a historic year for NC HS football. A couple of coaches with UNC/associates with the program said the same. to me.
-if I am the guy at rivals, I would want to review my work to see why I am an outlier on a number of recruits. couple of examples: 247/rivals/ESPN/UNC 247/Packsports/247 state
Diego Pounds-24/53/19/48/22/22
Zaire Patterson-11/29/17/4/top 12/3.(247 # 191 in nation)
Keshawn Silver-2/12/2/2/top12/5.
deandre boykins-26/3/13/13/27/14
jared wilson-22/32/15/9/16/7(even though 3 star in 247, he is the #353 in nation)
**there are more, but these are a couple of examples. Inside Pack sports is releasing their top 50 nc gradually, with 1 player each day and they are at #12 today.
--I would use more national rankings but rivals only lists their top 250 numerically.

-hey I get it, if rivals main tool is in person camp evaluation and they haven't seen someone recently, they might have him lower. why not put a note in in the kids profile file or have an asterisk in the state rankings?. If they havent seen him, they should let it be known. that would have saved them a lot of grief.
For example, Zaire Patterson. Everyone who looks at NC football recruiting views him at easy top 10 material. Clemson moderator says he is a take there.. Rivals actually drops him 2 spots in the state? Clemson is basically selecting nationally, if they are interested that would def get my attention.
--Jared Wilson, was a take at UGA and a commit till the OL coach leaves. UNC turns away a number of "higher rated" prospects and takes a commit from Wilson and they are tight on ships this year. You drop him a few spots too? I would want to take a look and see what I missed.
-I know ship offers are inflated, but you have very low rankings on some kids that the elite are going after. That might make me question my original evaluation.

-I was definitely hoping for some UNC commits to move up, so a bit disappointed there. It happens, and every fanbase can make that argument. to me, that is not the issue here.

My point is NC now a top 10 state in recruiting(behind Ga,Texas,Cali,Fla) and right up there with Ohio/Alabama/Louisiana. How can they blow it this badly?
Have you guys gotten any color from your recruiting folks? Maybe when the dust settles, you could ask some of our questions.

thanks, sorry for the long post.

Reactions: ncgridiron
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News