ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame as full member for football

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
The only thing sports I've kept up with over the past couple of months is the schedule for this season and the possibility of ND going full member. I had a strong hint that this was going to happen yesterday when I received an email from Bubba Cunningham in response to one I had sent.

I assume virtually everyone agrees it is best for ACC football to have ND as a full member. Interest in the ACC race and then the Championship Game will go up, perhaps well up. That should mean more TV money. And all of it should help recruiting across the league.

I have said for some time that it is best for ND football to be a full member of ACC football. The Irish need that for the future just like they needed to start playing bowls in the 1970s.

So will this do the trick? Does this signal that ND is ready to make the jump and will announce it for some date in the future?

If ND is going full member in football, will we explore adding a 16th? If so, is there any chance that Texas would be ready to jettison the Big XII and become partnered with Notre Dame?

If not, would be want Cincinnati because of location and all that talent in both revenue sports in OH?

Would we add Navy for football to get back into MD? If we were to do that, would we consider adding Georgetown in basketball? That double blow would not be good for the Terrapins.

We could stay at 15 and play without divisions, but 8 games rather than 10. That would work with scheduling of 2+6 (6). Every team plays 2 annual rivals. Then the rest of the league is divided into two groups of 6. You play each group twice every 4 years. That would end not playing a league member for 6 or 7 years in a row.

If that happens, UNC cannot play UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry), Dook, and Moo annually. I say drop Moo back to half the time.

If that happens, PSU should be our first call. They will almost certainly turn us down, but it's a call you have to make. Other than them, there's not a good realistic option. I would probably say Navy for TV market reasons.

I have heard from several reporter types that if ND joins full time that Navy will be the 16th. ND wants to keep that rivalry and the USC one. Making Navy a conf game for them makes scheduling easier..

I have heard from several reporter types that if ND joins full time that Navy will be the 16th. ND wants to keep that rivalry and the USC one. Making Navy a conf game for them makes scheduling easier..

I dont follow Navy sports so my question is do they compete in enough sports to join the ACC?

Notre Dame and the ACC both have great histories. Commissioner Swofford has a great opportunity before his impending retirement. Notre Dame does not belong in the ACC. Let the Big Ten have them. It only makes sense

Reactions: JimmyinVA
...Notre Dame does not belong in the ACC. Let the Big Ten have them. It only makes sense
i agree, but we seem to be the minority opinion. the ACC is doing great and getting better without those arrogant jerks. it's the ATLANTIC coast conference, not the GREAT LAKES.

Reactions: bobcrane14
Personally, I'm not a fan of ND joining as a member in football, and I'd prefer them to not be a member in basketball or any other sport either.

ND= more money for the ACC= more money for UNC. I've got no problem with them joining.

The only thing sports I've kept up with over the past couple of months is the schedule for this season and the possibility of ND going full member. I had a strong hint that this was going to happen yesterday when I received an email from Bubba Cunningham in response to one I had sent.

I assume virtually everyone agrees it is best for ACC football to have ND as a full member. Interest in the ACC race and then the Championship Game will go up, perhaps well up. That should mean more TV money. And all of it should help recruiting across the league.

I have said for some time that it is best for ND football to be a full member of ACC football. The Irish need that for the future just like they needed to start playing bowls in the 1970s.

So will this do the trick? Does this signal that ND is ready to make the jump and will announce it for some date in the future?

If ND is going full member in football, will we explore adding a 16th? If so, is there any chance that Texas would be ready to jettison the Big XII and become partnered with Notre Dame?

If not, would be want Cincinnati because of location and all that talent in both revenue sports in OH?

Would we add Navy for football to get back into MD? If we were to do that, would we consider adding Georgetown in basketball? That double blow would not be good for the Terrapins.

We could stay at 15 and play without divisions, but 8 games rather than 10. That would work with scheduling of 2+6 (6). Every team plays 2 annual rivals. Then the rest of the league is divided into two groups of 6. You play each group twice every 4 years. That would end not playing a league member for 6 or 7 years in a row.

If that happens, UNC cannot play UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry), Dook, and Moo annually. I say drop Moo back to half the time.

Someone once suggested that we should contact South Carolina, when the Irish decide to join on a full time basis.
Having another "southern" team offer better opportunities to get the divisions right.

Someone once suggested that we should contact South Carolina, when the Irish decide to join on a full time basis.
Having another "southern" team offer better opportunities to get the divisions right.
Why south Carolina? They don't fit other than location. They are a perfect fit for the SEC and that's where they should stay.

f scar, and f the turtles, never take back a team that left. f the domers too! Navy? get outta here...might as well invite vandy to come on board. If you have to take the domers then long horns would be my top choice if they would come...big if..

I dont follow Navy sports so my question is do they compete in enough sports to join the ACC?
Navy basketball would be a laughing stock in the ACC - David Robinson is never again walking through that door. Navy can play top lacrosse and perhaps good baseball.

We no longer are required to have divisions with equal number of members. That means we could have 15 members for football. That means ND would have to play Navy OOC. And, I think that would work out for ND exactly like having Navy in the ACC. If we stick with 15 members, then we can still play 8 league games, leaving each of us with 4 OOC games. If we have 16 members, we certainly will play 9 league games, leaving us with 3 OOC games.

As for ND playing Navy annually and having some scheduling flexibility, the two scenarios are identical.

f scar, and f the turtles, never take back a team that left. f the domers too! Navy? get outta here...might as well invite vandy to come on board. If you have to take the domers then long horns would be my top choice if they would come...big if..
If ND is going full football member, and if Texas has decided it is tired of the Big XII (which means the Big XII is domed), then Texas almost certainly will join the ACC, if it is guaranteed an annual football game with ND. ND-Texas annually would become huge, bigger to the nation than Texas-OU has been.

I think Texas is going to keep the Big XII as its fiefdom, but that cannot stop OU should the Sooners get itchy feet. The SEC definitely wants OU as part of any expansion, to 15 or 16. If not for academic snobbery and midwestern snobbery against the cowboy southwest, the Big Ten may already have invited OU and KU. Ditto the Pac. If OU were to leave the Big XII, Texas probably decides it is not worth staying around.

Pass on Texas in the ACC. That makes little sense and they are just as arrogant as ND. There's no reason to pick Texas over ND.

It would never happen but the ideal school to add to the ACC would be UGA. Just put them in Clemson's division lol

No, were talking both, horns and domers.. when your good you are perceived as arrogant.
True but Texas has a kind of unique arrogance that irritates as many people as does the ND arrogance - or the UNC arrogance.

Texas is worth the price of its arrogance. The ACC in TX because of the Longhorns would be huge, for the ACCN as well for ACC recruiting.

True but Texas has a kind of unique arrogance that irritates as many people as does the ND arrogance - or the UNC arrogance.

Texas is worth the price of its arrogance. The ACC in TX because of the Longhorns would be huge, for the ACCN as well for ACC recruiting.
ND helps out the ACCN more than any other school. Any recruiting advantage that the ACC would get would be almost exclusive to Texas and with Texas being in the middle of the country, it makes no sense to get them. If you're going to go hard after someone in addition to ND, go after PSU. Otherwise, grab a team just for football on the east coast.

No comparison to PSU to Texas. Longhorns bring twice the prestige to the ACC than nittany lions. Line up domers and horns into today's ACC and SEC takes a back seat to the ACC. These are facts, chance of this happening however is quite unlikely including PSU leaving big10-12 or how many they claim. But, if it did look out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT