ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame QB out 4 months...

My question is why so long?

Maye does have the knack and maybe Sam had less of that knack, but develop him. Don't allow him to put the offense on his back with his ability to run us out of trouble. I think Longo has installed a very good system but I have serious doubts he is very good at managing it in a game.....or in adapting to what's taking place, both in the short term and the long term.

Maybe it's just me.
It's not just you. It's anybody that looks past the shiney numbers.

Reactions: bluetoe
And you could make the argument that the TE aren't necessarily better, the are just being utilized this year. That means either Longo was completely ignoring the talent or Sam didn't pay attention to them, which is something the coaches should have fixed.
ding ding ding. This is what I tend to strongly believe.

That's true, but we've also been missing the primary deep ball threat with Downs out. The line has been atrocious. What success we've had in the running game has only happened because we have some serious talent at the RB position.

I don't think it's that hard to find a better coordinator than Longo. The hard part is convincing one of them to actually come to Chapel Hill.

Same goes for Mack. I completely agree that he had underperformed so far. But we don't exactly have a list of elite college coaches beating down the door to try to come to Carolina.
Downs fully healthy makes this offense even scarier to DCs. They'll have to worry about him, which will either make it easier for others to get wide open, or else open bigger holes fro the RBs, or both.

You'll take interesting points or nuances then morph them into some combo of tinfoil hat conspiracy and obsessive-stalker paranoia.

But i'll bite. Longo hasn't been great in the redzone, maybe the TE could've helped more, but Garrett Walston was the best receiving TE in 2019, and was he really that good? By 2021 Kamari passed Walston in receptions and TD catches.

Tween the 20's that team had Sr Antonio Williams, Jr Michael Carter, Dazz, Sophs Javonte & Dyami -- all nfl'rs. Corrales and Groves caught plenty of passes and a few TDs too. Garrett Walston #7 in most catches...

They didn't have any choice but to make TE #3 and #4 leading receivers last yr. Kamari was also tied with Greene for #2 TD. Kinda small sample size since most stuff went to Downs though.

I suspect Longo/O coaches recognized 2 yrs of being horrible in sacks taken, were afraid the OL would suck again, and felt that to avoid Maye getting killed they needed a better short-pass game. Potentially Longo also realized Maye has a great knack (reading and touch) for these quick routes to TE and slots.
I think it rather obvious that Mack's chosen staff of BFFs had problems among the BFFs from Year 1, and the push out of Bateman, the guy Mack was forced to hire when his BFF choice for DC was rejected out of hand as soon as he had him come to campus, confirms the smoldering tensions. Including some from Mack toward those boosters and fans, and assistants, who dare doubt him in anything.

The great problem is that when you fail to get rid of the failing staff, the tensions will arise in new form because the failures on the field will continue.

Brewster and Mack remained very close through the years when Brewster coached under others. For him to leave UNC as he did surely means more than that he craved being back in FL.

The vibe out of this staff is odd, weird, shaky in everything but recruiting successes.

Downs fully healthy makes this offense even scarier to DCs. They'll have to worry about him, which will either make it easier for others to get wide open, or else open bigger holes fro the RBs, or both.
What is Downs dealing with???

This seems like as good a place as any to ask this. We kept hearing how good Andre Greene looked in preseason. So far he’s not really getting many snaps. What’s up with him?

This seems like as good a place as any to ask this. We kept hearing how good Andre Greene looked in preseason. So far he’s not really getting many snaps. What’s up with him?
He’s getting a lot of special teams snaps but he’s still learning the offensive playbook and recently ran a wrong route while in a game which isn’t unheard of being a true freshman. I expect him to get more snaps as the season progresses but he’s got an extremely bright future.

He’s getting a lot of special teams snaps but he’s still learning the offensive playbook and recently ran a wrong route while in a game which isn’t unheard of being a true freshman. I expect him to get more snaps as the season progresses but he’s got an extremely bright future.
And these other guys like Blackwell, paysour, JJ are gonna make him earn it.

My question is why so long?

Maye does have the knack and maybe Sam had less of that knack, but develop him. Don't allow him to put the offense on his back with his ability to run us out of trouble. I think Longo has installed a very good system but I have serious doubts he is very good at managing it in a game.....or in adapting to what's taking place, both in the short term and the long term.

Maybe it's just me.
Good question. I can't imagine Longo has the ability to fathom Maye getting rid of ball quickly, yet can't do the same for Howell despite league-leading sacks. I think it might have something to do with Howell's strengths. WAG.

Good question. I can't imagine Longo has the ability to fathom Maye getting rid of ball quickly, yet can't do the same for Howell despite league-leading sacks. I think it might have something to do with Howell's strengths. WAG.
I'm sure it does, but I think those strengths must be teachable at least to some extent. If you're going to be a top notch program you have to have top recruits, and how are you going to draw those if you don't show the ability to develop your players, particularly a rising star like Sam? Sam went from can't miss first rounder to what round was it? After seeing him do the wrong thing time after time for two years, I can't help laying a lot of the blame on the QB coach. That's Longo.

this is why one of my favorite quotes is, 'statistics are for idiots'.
753885.gif

• Haha
Reactions: bluetoe
I'm sure it does, but I think those strengths must be teachable at least to some extent. If you're going to be a top notch program you have to have top recruits, and how are you going to draw those if you don't show the ability to develop your players, particularly a rising star like Sam? Sam went from can't miss first rounder to what round was it? After seeing him do the wrong thing time after time for two years, I can't help laying a lot of the blame on the QB coach. That's Longo.
Yes, player development does exist. Even guys who shine as freshman always have an area or two of their game that could be improved. Good position coaches address those matters and produce improvement.

That is a long time weakness of Mack staffs. Mack seems to be like most super recruiters in assuming that if you sign enough talent, then they are good enough to win.

He outsigned Bob Stoops and OU almost every year, but won only 2 Big XII titles.

Yes, player development does exist. Even guys who shine as freshman always have an area or two of their game that could be improved. Good position coaches address those matters and produce improvement.

That is a long time weakness of Mack staffs. Mack seems to be like most super recruiters in assuming that if you sign enough talent, then they are good enough to win.

He outsigned Bob Stoops and OU almost every year, but won only 2 Big XII titles.
that is something I'm well aware of. When he went to Texas I kept track of his recruiting out of curiosity because he was such a good recruiter and he was in maybe the hottest hotbed in the country for good players. The numbers were ridiculous. He was killing it year after year. But where were the results?

Where is the 2010 Kendric Burney, Deunta Williams and Charles Brown when you need them. Those guys were the real Rude Boyz. Can we reach to that secondary coach?

Where is the 2010 Kendric Burney, Deunta Williams and Charles Brown when you need them. Those guys were the real Rude Boyz. Can we reach to that secondary coach?
First we have to remove Bly.

Again this week, guys that I think are the best analysts on TOS have stressed right now, 5* Grimes is being rated among the bottom 5 starting CBs in the ACC. That is all on coaching. A poor position coach can ruin even 5* recruits. That's the reason that Bateman wanted to clean house of D position coaches. Even the best DC in history cannot undo the poor work of position coaches, and may not even be able to deliver improvement within 2 seasons.

First we have to remove Bly.

Again this week, guys that I think are the best analysts on TOS have stressed right now, 5* Grimes is being rated among the bottom 5 starting CBs in the ACC. That is all on coaching. A poor position coach can ruin even 5* recruits. That's the reason that Bateman wanted to clean house of D position coaches. Even the best DC in history cannot undo the poor work of position coaches, and may not even be able to deliver improvement within 2 seasons.
I look for Grimes to enter the portal at season end. His talent has been wasted here in CH. Once that happens it will be a very look for Bly and a bad look to recruits

Reactions: Oak ridger
I look for Grimes to enter the portal at season end. His talent has been wasted here in CH. Once that happens it will be a very look for Bly and a bad look to recruits
Grimes looked really good his freshman year and the Orange Bowl. This has been his worst season to date and Warren is the db coach and assistant DC. But all the blame is on Bly? Also, Downs, among several others, aren’t Tar Heels if not for Bly.

Last edited:
He can be moved to lead recruiting duties.
If he were as great at that as Mack assumes, Caleb Downs would be signed up.

The reality is that over time, bad position coaching by a great recruiter coupled with less than championship teams leads to lost recruits. We now are seeing the beginning of that for Mack and his staff.

Grimes looked really good his freshman year and the Orange Bowl. This has been his worst season to date and Warren is the db coach and assistant DC. But all the blame is on Bly? Also, Downs, among several others, aren’t Tar Heels if not for Bly.
Warren just arrived. He cannot undo 2 years of poor position coaching. Grimes as freshman was playing off how he'd been coached in HS. Now, he's showing his years under Bly.

The Irish D is sound, but the Cal offense is not nearly as explosive as ours. WE should score several times against ND.

And the ND pass offense seems to require the TEs. Our CBs will not be guarding TEs.

We should win a high scoring game.

Have to start with the basics up front on defense. Recruit the right personnel, get them fundamentally sound stopping the run and collapsing the pocket. Just doing that will help out the secondary.

Reactions: Archer2
Will we see more 5 man fronts like vs ga st (collins was a 5th for example) or will it look more like a true 4-3 with RaRa on there, or pulling Noah Taylor into an old role?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT