ADVERTISEMENT

Old Dominion upsets VA Tech

Classic case of very young team overlooking a team it should beat handily.

How bad is ACC football minus Clemson? I mean really. Va Tech loses by 2 scores to a team that lost by 42 to Liberty and lost to UNC Charlotte the week before.

Reactions: midline and MWHeels
I can understand the drop off on offense once the Hokies starting QB left the game with an injury, but where was Bud Foster's vaulted defense?....It was carved up by a backup QB, and seems I remember the announcers at the end saying that ODU outscored the Hokies 28-7 in the 4th quarter which was unbelievable....

Clemson carrying the flag right now for the ACC as Boston College laid an egg at Purdue yesterday as well....

How good is Clemson’s defense? They held GT’s vaunted running game to 2.6 yards per carry and outrushed the nation’s leading rushing team 248-146. And all that with one of their starting LB’s sidelined. They’ll be 13-0 and playing for the National Championship at the end of the season.

Compared to them, we’re a 1A high school team.

It couldn’t have happened to a more deserving HC and fan base. F the Chokies! I honestly don’t know who I want to win the game next weekend between them and Dook. The good news is that at least one of them will lose.

Reactions: trig81
How good is Clemson’s defense? They held GT’s vaunted running game to 2.6 yards per carry and outrushed the nation’s leading rushing team 248-146. And all that with one of their starting LB’s sidelined. They’ll be 13-0 and playing for the National Championship at the end of the season.

Clemson looks streaky to me. They tend to drop one game each year they shouldn’t. If it happens this year, they stand a good chance to get left out of the playoff. ACC is that bad.

No one is in Bama’s League right now. They left off the gas yesterday, otherwise they would have scored 60+ on Aggie.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I think that Clemson’s biggest regular season hurdle is going to be the game against $tate. For whatever reason, they have played Clemson really tough the past 2 years.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Here's the problem with VT going down embarrassingly yesterday: they have time to get it together before they head to Chapel Hill.

Reactions: franklin street
The total embarrassment of the game last year in Blacksburg should be more than enough motivation for us to play well against them.

Reactions: heelbent

Not sure why this is surprising. GT struggles to recruit great players while Clemson selects top talent more than they actually recruit them. When a defensive front is all future NFL players and candy just blow up an offensive line at will, it makes that option a non factor. As for Clemson's tough games, they have none the rest of the regular season. FSU is a tragedy. State may be their toughest game, but the talent gap is such that the only way that game is close is if Clemson just goes through the motions. Unfortunately, outside of Clemson, the ACC is about as weak as we have seen it in years.

Not sure why this is surprising. GT struggles to recruit great players while Clemson selects top talent more than they actually recruit them. When a defensive front is all future NFL players and candy just blow up an offensive line at will, it makes that option a non factor. As for Clemson's tough games, they have none the rest of the regular season. FSU is a tragedy. State may be their toughest game, but the talent gap is such that the only way that game is close is if Clemson just goes through the motions. Unfortunately, outside of Clemson, the ACC is about as weak as we have seen it in years.
I think many of us have to agree with your conclusion. And when such an assertion is true, the fault lies in ACC coaching.

In some cases, you may be right. And UNC leads the pack in that category. But mostly the coaching is solid. Sweeney obviously has it going. There are few coaches around as good as Cutcliffe. Babers is doing a nice job at Syracuse. No matter the ODU debacle, think the VT guy is solid. Clawson at Wake is decent, though at a school that has a ceiling. Same for the guy at BC. We will see on the guy at Virginia. Not sure what is going on with Petrino at Louisville. The Taggert hire was a mistake at FSU . Johnson is a play calling master, but probably time for GT to make a move. Richt is going to be Richt at Miami. Will win 9-10 games a year. DD seems to be solid at State. So overall, think the league has some good head coaches. League just seems to have a talent deficit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT