ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Rock Band Nomination Thread: Chester Bennington Region

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
This thread will be used to nominate bands that are considered alternative rock bands (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Disturbed, etc). Please refer to the OOTB Rock Band Tournament thread for rules and set up of the tournament. You will have 48 hours to nominate bands for this region.

I'm lost on these regions.
Just put it where you see fit. I will say that there have been a few mentioned in this thread that will probably get moved to another region. When I said alternative rock I was really thinking of the newer rock band style like Linkin or Papa Roach popularized. Progressive rock like Genesis would also fit.

Just put it where you see fit. I will say that there have been a few mentioned in this thread that will probably get moved to another region. When I said alternative rock I was really thinking of the newer rock band style like Linkin or Papa Roach popularized. Progressive rock like Genesis would also fit.
I realize this isn't easy. And, I appreciate the time you put into it (you really did). I don't get these musicians' names as the regions. Three of them are token players in the grand scheme of Rock n Roll on a good day. Chester Bennington? Who is he again?

Three of them are token players in the grand scheme of Rock n Roll on a good day. Chester Bennington? Who is he again?
Ouch, this is a massive fail on your part. I'm assuming Lennon is the only one you think isn't a token player, but the others are big players as well. Cornell is widely regarded as one of the best voices ever in rock music and Chester Bennington (lead singer of Linkin Park who died less than a year ago) is the singer of a band who is consider one of the leaders of the "alternative" rock music genre. I'll give you Burton as being a token player to the masses. That being said, he is consider a legend by bass players in Metal. I also tried to keep it as a kind of tribute to those who died tragically.

Ouch, this is a massive fail on your part. I'm assuming Lennon is the only one you think isn't a token player, but the others are big players as well. Cornell is widely regarded as one of the best voices ever in rock music and Chester Bennington (lead singer of Linkin Park who died less than a year ago) is the singer of a band who is consider one of the leaders of the "alternative" rock music genre. I'll give you Burton as being a token player to the masses. That being said, he is consider a legend by bass players in Metal. I also tried to keep it as a kind of tribute to those who died tragically.
Sorry for the massive fail on my part.

Like I said, you obviously went to a lot of effort to do this. Carry on.

ETA: Rock N Roll is filled with tragic deaths. Bulging with it. I actually knew Burton was the bassist for Metallica and died in the bus accident. Chris Cornell was a given, too. But, still, he was more of a footnote. He was a great singer of a certain genre of music.

I'll just watch, maybe. Sorry to be such a jerk and mess up the party.

Sorry for the massive fail on my part.

Like I said, you obviously went to a lot of effort to do this. Carry on.

ETA: Rock N Roll is filled with tragic deaths. Bulging with it. I actually knew Burton was the bassist for Metallica and died in the bus accident. Chris Cornell was a given, too. But, still, he was more of a footnote. He was a great singer of a certain genre of music.

I'll just watch, maybe. Sorry to be such a jerk and mess up the party.
You're fine. I figured it was going to be a little confusing just because of the number of great bands out there. Just continue to put them in whatever region you want to and I'll move it around if it's needed. Need all the participation we can get, especially considering your knowledge of rock music is more nuanced than most.

@tarheel0910

Just curious, but why did we only do "rock bands"? Why not "music artists of all genres"? And yes, I'm poasting this exact same message in all 4 of the nomination threads.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I feel like the "alternative" region should be a safety net for anything that doesn't fit in the other categories: traditional rock 'n' roll, heavy metal, or pop rock. That means I'm adding stuff like progressive rock, psychedelic rock, funk, fusion, jam bands, etc. to this category. Sorry if this messes you up @tarheel0910.

The Cure
David Bowie
Frank Zappa
Genesis
George Clinton and P. Funk
Grateful Dead
Incubus
Kansas
King Crimson
Minus the Bear
Modest Mouse
Peter Gabriel
Phish
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Rogue Wave
Rush
Ryan Adams
Smashing Pumpkins
Spoon
Steely Dan
Styx
Talking Heads
Tom Waits
Wilco
XTC
Yes

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
Reminder, you have until 11:00 am tomorrow to make your nominations. Please remember that the total number of nominations determines who makes the field and seeding. Even if someone else has already mentioned a band you like, you still need to nominate them as well if you want them included.

Nine Inch Nails
Deftones
Genesis
Godsmack
Incubus
Korn
Linkin Park
Papa Roach
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Smashing Pumpkins

Alright folks the bracket is set for the Chester Bennington Region. A separate thread for voting on the matchups will be posted tomorrow. This will give you time to complain about who made it and who didn't as well as the seeding.

1 David Bowie
16 Frank Zappa

2 Smashing Pumpkins
15 Radiohead

3 R.E.M.
14 Peter Gabriel

4 Red Hot Chili Peppers
13 Talking Heads

5 Incubus
12 Cure

6 Genesis
11 Rush

7 Papa Roach
10 Yes

8 Korn
9 Linkin Park

Here are a few videos from our bands that didn't quite make it.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT