ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB TV TOURNAMENT ROUND ONE: COMEDY REGION

heelz2345

Hall of Famer
Mar 4, 2008
Ok everyone, now that we have filled out the bracket, it’s time to vote for the best show in television! We are going to vote round by round starting with the first round in the Drama and Comedy regions. List all your choices in the matchups for that region, so for this first round, you need to pick your favorite in each of the eight matchups. You will have until midnight on Wednesday to vote in both threads. I’m going to do a write-up of each matchup in the beginning of each thread (I was going to include video clips of each show as well, but Rivals limits you to 5 youtube clips in a poast), which will also culminate in my vote for the matchups. Lets get to it.

#1 seed Seinfeld vs. #16 seed All in the Family

All in the Family brought one of the classic television characters, Archie Bunker, to life and tackled a number of social issues during its run. Seinfeld featured one of the strongest ensembles in television history and was famously the show about nothing.
All in the Family is revered as a classic, and with good reason, but I am going to have to side with the show that I’ve seen the most episodes, and that is Seinfeld.

#8 seed Fraiser vs. #9 seed M*A*S*H

Here we have a matchup of two of the longest running, critically acclaimed sitcoms of all time, both of which were inspired by existing material (Fraiser, a spin-off of Cheers, and M*A*S*H, based on a film of the same name). Both featured great ensembles, anchored by a strong performance from the leading man.
Either one would be a solid choice to advance, but I have to go with Dr. Crane over the doctors of the 4077th. Fraiser has my vote.

#4 seed Cheers vs. #13 seed The League

Cheers is about a group of people who spend a lot of time at a bar, watching football, and getting into misadventures. The same description could apply to The League, just with the added aspect of fantasy football and stronger language. As someone who has watched The League, I can say I thought it was pretty funny, for the first 4 seasons or so. After that, I think it sharply declined. Cheers on the other hand, stays strong throughout and even gets better in some regards as it goes on by adding Kelsey Grammar, Woody Harrelson, and Kirstie Alley to the cast.
I’m voting for the place where everyone knows your name, Cheers.

#5 seed Everybody Loves Raymond vs. #12 seed The Andy Griffith Show

Everybody Loves Raymond follows Ray Barone and his family, and in a number of ways, accurately captures the comedy of everyday married life. The Andy Griffith Show is a look into small town North Carolina, with a colorful cast of characters and a strong sense of right and wrong.
Both have moments of great humor and heart, and both are very well thought of, but as a North Carolina boy, I have to go with the people of Mayberry in this matchup. The Andy Griffith Show gets my vote.

#3 seed The Office vs. #14 seed 30 Rock

This is a matchup that I hate is a first round matchup, because it means an early exit for a show I love either way. The Office brilliantly captures an average workplace, with annoying boss and coworkers, while 30 Rock is one of the most hilarious looks into show business and the absurdity that comes with it. Both feature hilarious casts that have tremendous chemistry, and a large number of laugh out loud moments.
I’m giving the slightest edge to 30 Rock for the reason it didn’t have two subpar seasons like The Office did once Steve Carell left. But you can’t go wrong with either one.

#6 seed Arrested Development vs. #11 seed Home Improvement

Home Improvement brought Tim Allen great success and made Jonathan Taylor Thomas a household name for teenage girls everywhere. Arrested Development was one of the smartest (yet little watched) comedies ever, with a fantastic ensemble and rapid fire jokes and references that you often miss until the 2nd or 3rd time you watch it.
I have nothing against Home Improvement, but I’m voting for Arrested Development here. Come on!

#7 seed Wings vs. #10 seed Modern Family

Modern Family is one of the most awarded sitcoms in television history and with an ensemble that create the characters that comprise the show’s name. Wings was the start for actors like Tony Shaloub and Thomas Haden Church, and featured a strong ensemble with Tim Daly and Steven Weber as the leads.
I have to go with the show that I’ve seen more episodes for, and that’s Modern Family.

#2 seed Friends vs. #15 seed The Mary Tyler Moore Show

In another matchup that seems crazy as a first rounder, we have to choose between two classics in the comedy landscape. Mary Tyler Moore had a legendary cast, not only with the titular actress, but also names like Betty White, Ed Asner, Ted Knight and Cloris Leachman. Friends also had a terrific cast, and the show is full of a great number of laughs. This is a really tough matchup. Either would be a deserving winner.
However, in the end, I have to vote for Friends.

Last edited:
This is the region I care the least about, but I'll throw some vote in. My picks are in bold.

I don't care about either of them, but Seinfeld is the most overrated pile of garbage in TV history, so I'm not voting for it. #16 seed all the way.

I flipped a coin. Fraiser was heads and M*A*S*H was tails. It was tails.

I voted Cheers because I don't know what The League is.

Andy Griffith reminds of me of my grandparents. I love my grandparents. RIP.

Whatever.

Home Improvement, dammit.

Modern Family makes me want to vomit.

I don't care about either one of these, but I voted Friends because 90s.

...that moment you realize you have seen none of these shows.

Damn, I must suck.

I'll roll w/ these :

Seinfeld

MASH

Cheers

Everybody Loves Raymond

The Office

Home Improvement

Modern Family

Friends

I never make reference to something said on AITF, but rarely a day goes by that I don't make a Seinfeld reference or three (and for good reason)!

The League was great for the first few seasons, but turned really lame toward the end.

I loved Raymond too, but Andy Griffith still holds up well after 50 years and repeated watching of episodes. It lost some of its magic when Don Knotts left, but the first 5 seasons are so good, that it gets my vote.

Two of my favorites, but the Office did weaken itself after Carrell left; 30 Rock was consistently weird and funny throughout.

The chick on Wings was cute-hot; MF is getting weaker by the season; toss-up for me... coin comes up tails - MF gets my vote.

Friends was a great show with a great ensemble. But Mary was so gosh-darn cute, and MTM had Lou Grant and Ted Baxter - two of the greatest characters in sitcom history.

My votes:

Seinfeld
Frasier
Cheers
The Andy Griffith Show
The Office
Arrested Development
Wings
Mary Tyler Moore

I'm only going to submit votes for matchups in which I've seen at least one episode of one the shows. If I haven't seen either show, I think it's unfair to vote. However, if I've seen one of the shows and it sucked, I will be voting for the other show even if I haven't seen it.

#1 seed Seinfeld

#4 seed Cheers

#5 seed Everybody Loves Raymond

#3 seed The Office

#11 seed Home Improvement

#15 seed The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Seinfeld
MASH
Cheers
Everybody loves Raymond
The office
Arrested development
Modern family
Friends

All in the Family got jobbed by the selection committee. It won't beat blueblood Seinfeld, but it would've beaten a lot of other shows in the field. Like Wings and Home Improvement?? You shittin' me lol

All in the Family got jobbed by the selection committee. It won't beat blueblood Seinfeld, but it would've beaten a lot of other shows in the field. Like Wings and Home Improvement?? You shittin' me lol
F**king moo fans want to come over here and act like they are welcome. Take your stupid wolf avatar and go back to pack pride you sorry piece of trash.

@heelz2345, if there is a tie what do you plan on using for a tie breaker?
Good question, I had thought of this, my plan is to use the same tiebreaker formula that was used for seeding. This won't mean that the higher seed automatically advances, because a show could finish with a higher score there even as a lower seed since it didn't have the initial nominations. But that's my plan, figured that would be the fairest thing since that was what was used for the initial tiebreaker for seeding.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I just poasted in the other thread, but do you want to call this thread at midnight tonight instead of midnight tomorrow? Not sure how much more we're gonna get vote wise

Everyone open to participate? Here's mine:

This one was tough. I love them both and love them both about the same. What sent me over the top was the dry humor with Frasier. Kelsey Grammer's dry wit is like a fine wine and gets better as I age.

#3 seed The Office vs. #14 seed30 Rock

Never watched a second of either, so I'm going with the underdog here..

MTM, just because Friends is the opponent.

Everyone open to participate? Here's mine:

This one was tough. I love them both and love them both about the same. What sent me over the top was the dry humor with Frasier. Kelsey Grammer's dry wit is like a fine wine and gets better as I age.

#3 seed The Office vs. #14 seed30 Rock

Never watched a second of either, so I'm going with the underdog here..

MTM, just because Friends is the opponent.
Sure everyone is open to participate Tru.

Since we got a late entry I will keep the original deadline, might have a few more stragglers;)

I was planning on it, there are a few that are really close and some that were much closer than I initially expected
24 and Justified is inexplicably close.....and that's not okay. I've already had to Aaron Hernandez a couple of the selection committee members for not putting It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Archer in the field.

Seriously, dudes, Home Improvement? Come on.

Reactions: Raising Heel
24 and Justified is inexplicably close.....and that's not okay. I've already had to Aaron Hernandez a couple of the selection committee members for not putting It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or Archer in the field.

Seriously, dudes, Home Improvement? Come on.
I think Justified has a pretty solid lead, it's not blowing out 24 like some other matchups are blow outs but I would be surprised if it sweats too much in this round.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
All in the Family - I enjoyed Seinfeld and quote it often, but Family was more significant and was about something.

M*A*S*H - Like AitF, could go serious at times, which I actually appreciate in a comedy.

Cheers - Great, diverse cast. The fact that it was so good and probably 98% of the scenes were on that one set with the bar is pretty impressive.

The Andy Griffith Show - Never watched Everybody Loves Raymond, but it would be hard pressed to knock off Andy in my bracket.

The Office - I know the US version takes a lot of criticism, but I enjoyed it.

Arrested Development - This was actually the closest battle for me because Home Improvement was a good show that I enjoyed watching in its day, but AD is hilarious and for me beats everything else here. Funny thing is that I hated Buster at first and he eventually became my favorite character.

Wings -- Crystal Bernard. Game over.

Mary Tyler Moore -- I vote this despite the Jennifer Aniston attraction factor, but I liked all the characters on MTM and there are a few really annoying ones on Friends (Ross and Phoebe, mostly.)

Home Improvement is funny the same way a kooky college professor is funny. He's funny for someone who's cracking a few dad jokes while teaching you a terrible subject that you don't GAF about because you're hungover and it's 9:30 on a Thursday. A stand-up comedian he is not.

Home Improvement is funny the same way a kooky college professor is funny. He's funny for someone who's cracking a few dad jokes while teaching you a terrible subject that you don't GAF about because you're hungover and it's 9:30 on a Thursday. A stand-up comedian he is not.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen any of his stand-up shows? I personally haven't, but I would think Tim Allen high on cocaine would be hilarious. Also, we aren't talking about stand-up so GFY.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen any of his stand-up shows? I personally haven't, but I would think Tim Allen high on cocaine would be hilarious. Also, we aren't talking about stand-up so GFY.
The "he" in my poast was clearly referring to the antecedent "professor."

And nah I haven't seen his stand-up.

I've watched a lot of Home Improvement and liked it, but if memory serves I was usually waiting for a better show that came on after it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT