ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB TV TOURNAMENT ROUND ONE: COMEDY REGION

Home Improvement rocks and should be in the Final Four.

tim-allen-grunt-o.gif.cf.gif

Ok, voting has closed here. The winners are in bold with the scores next to them, and there are gifs beneath each matchup to highlight the feelings of the winners and losers. Congrats to the shows that will move on!

#1 seed Seinfeld: 11 votes
#16 seed All in the Family: 4 votes
giphy.gif

shoot-in-head.gif

#8 seed Frasier: 7 votes+tiebreaker score
#9 seed M*A*S*H: 7 votes
oJPD0lV.gif

tumblr_lvwe6piyKd1r7zfmko1_400.gif

#4 seed Cheers: 13 votes
#13 seed The League: 2 votes
tumblr_mnc0l0bYOT1qeghkio2_500.gif

giphy.gif

#5 seed Everybody Loves Raymond: 7 votes
#12 seed The Andy Griffith Show: 8 votes
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#3 seed The Office: 8 votes
#14 seed 30 Rock: 6 votes
giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_mvjvs3p8RQ1rg61pd.gif

#6 seed Arrested Development: 9 votes
#11 seed Home Improvement: 6 votes
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#7 seed Wings: 8 votes
#10 seed Modern Family: 5 votes
Wings-Cast-wings-tv-series-38020617-500-447.jpg

tumblr_le8x0j8gL91qd8m2go1_500.gif

#2 seed Friends: 10 votes
#15 seed The Mary Tyler Moore Show: 5 votes
joey_and_chandler_-_imgur.gif

tumblr_okdvfjvpTF1toamj8o1_400.gif

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen any of his stand-up shows? I personally haven't, but I would think Tim Allen high on cocaine would be hilarious. Also, we aren't talking about stand-up so GFY.

I saw him in a Showtime special a few years before Home Improvement. I was in college, sober, and there were a couple times my buddy and I were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. The routine was based around the "more power" theme he carried into the TV show. I think the show was seeded too low here and Arrested Development (also seeded too low) isn't going to be beaten--though It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would have given it a battle.

Ok, voting has closed here. The winners are in bold with the scores next to them, and there are gifs beneath each matchup to highlight the feelings of the winners and losers. Congrats to the shows that will move on!

#1 seed Seinfeld: 11 votes
#16 seed All in the Family: 4 votes
giphy.gif

shoot-in-head.gif

#8 seed Frasier: 7 votes+tiebreaker score
#9 seed M*A*S*H: 7 votes
oJPD0lV.gif

tumblr_lvwe6piyKd1r7zfmko1_400.gif

#4 seed Cheers: 13 votes
#13 seed The League: 2 votes
tumblr_mnc0l0bYOT1qeghkio2_500.gif

giphy.gif

#5 seed Everybody Loves Raymond: 7 votes
#12 seed The Andy Griffith Show: 8 votes
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#3 seed The Office: 8 votes
#14 seed 30 Rock: 6 votes
giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_mvjvs3p8RQ1rg61pd.gif

#6 seed Arrested Development: 9 votes
#11 seed Home Improvement: 6 votes
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#7 seed Wings: 8 votes
#10 seed Modern Family: 5 votes
Wings-Cast-wings-tv-series-38020617-500-447.jpg

tumblr_le8x0j8gL91qd8m2go1_500.gif

#2 seed Friends: 10 votes
#15 seed The Mary Tyler Moore Show: 5 votes
joey_and_chandler_-_imgur.gif

tumblr_okdvfjvpTF1toamj8o1_400.gif

While I don't agree with all the outcomes, well done on the images for each show in the results.

I understand The League was a stout underdog going against powerhouse Cheers but I feel that show is vastly underrated. Only two votes. Sigh.

It was bias on the part of the selection committee. Home Improvement aired on ABC and we all know they have a vendetta against ABC.
I just checked, ABC went 0-2 here. FX also went winless, at 0-1. CBS went 1-4 (Andy Griffith being the only one to advance). NBC had a dominant opening round, going 6-1 with its only loss coming to another NBC show. Fox's sole representative advanced to the round of 32, so it went 1-0 here.

I just checked, ABC went 0-2 here. FX also went winless, at 0-1. CBS went 1-4 (Andy Griffith being the only one to advance). NBC had a dominant opening round, going 6-1 with its only loss coming to another NBC show. Fox's sole representative advanced to the round of 32, so it went 1-0 here.
I've always thought NBC was to comedies as the SEC is to college football. Don't know why the network should matter, but to me most of the classics were NBC productions. The humor of comedies on CBS like Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory have just never resonated with me.

I've always thought NBC was to comedies as the SEC is to college football. Don't know why the network should matter, but to me most of the classics were NBC productions. The humor of comedies on CBS like Two and a Half Men and Big Bang Theory have just never resonated with me.
peacock-comedy.gif

I saw him in a Showtime special a few years before Home Improvement. I was in college, sober, and there were a couple times my buddy and I were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. The routine was based around the "more power" theme he carried into the TV show. I think the show was seeded too low here and Arrested Development (also seeded too low) isn't going to be beaten--though It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would have given it a battle.
Well maybe if you had voted for it in the nomination thread it would've made the tournament.........................

#stillsalty

IASIP is easily one of the best TV show comedies of all time and it didn't even make our friggin field. That's a bad look for OOTB.

IASIP is easily one of the best TV show comedies of all time and it didn't even make our friggin field. That's a bad look for OOTB.

I don't watch it regularly, but I've seen a bunch of episodes and I have to agree. I can't really complain because I'm not sure if I nominated any shows for this region. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't in the list, especially when a show like Friends got the #2 seed (I'd expect that on the women's volleyball forum, but OOTB?). I didn't even know Wings was a TV show. Figured it was a chicken restaurant.

How can you say that? Have you seen every other show that made the tournament field? I'm just guessing Mr. I Hate Classic Rock ain't a fan of anything older than him.
I voted for All in the Family over Seinfeld so your theory doesn't hold water. The only ones I've never seen are MASH and Wings. I've seen extensive episodes of every other show. I've probably seen 80% of episodes of Home Improvement, so I'm fairly comfortable saying it isn't Top 16 worthy.

Reactions: heelz2345
I voted for All in the Family over Seinfeld so your theory doesn't hold water. The only ones I've never seen are MASH and Wings. I've seen extensive episodes of every other show. I've probably seen 80% of episodes of Home Improvement, so I'm fairly comfortable saying it isn't Top 16 worthy.
Well MASH actually is a top 5 comedy of all time, so there. And plenty of other classics didn't even make it, so there again. Nyah!

I don't watch it regularly, but I've seen a bunch of episodes and I have to agree. I can't really complain because I'm not sure if I nominated any shows for this region. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't in the list, especially when a show like Friends got the #2 seed (I'd expect that on the women's volleyball forum, but OOTB?). I didn't even know Wings was a TV show. Figured it was a chicken restaurant.
Thank you.

Discussion is about best of all time, not inclusion in the field Padawan.
I started the discussion so cash me ousside.

I definitely think Always Sunny should have been in the field, but that's how it goes. It would have been in my personal top 5 comedies, but there are others I think a lot of that didn't make the field. This and animation probably had the highest volume of quality snubs, like the top 16 comedies that didn't make the field could have been a solid bracket on its own.

I definitely think Always Sunny should have been in the field, but that's how it goes. It would have been in my personal top 5 comedies, but there are others I think a lot of that didn't make the field. This and animation probably had the highest volume of quality snubs, like the top 16 comedies that didn't make the field could have been a solid bracket on its own.
This man has seen every TV show ever made and has Always Sunny in his personal top 5 comedies. I rest my case.

All in the Family
M*A*S*H
Cheers
The Andy Griffith Show
The Office
Home Improvement
Modern Family
Friends

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT