ADVERTISEMENT

Our Friend - The Creighton Coach - and his verbal boo-boo!

Suppose he meant to say it because in no way he was suggesting something racist. I think everyone would agree that it would have been a huge problem IF he said "playing like this would have gotten you kicked off the plantation back in the day"
Huh? you might want to re-read what you just posted.

AWFUL, and he did offer his resignation over it. I am in a little different connection with this as one of my kids/players from junior high is one of the star African American players on the team currently.

That is a talented bunch who would of been either a 2 or 3 seed last year, and is a bit lower 4-6 seed this year, who nobody wants to see. The players will focus for each other as a veteran team with the tourney finally loomong, but it was a ridiculous comment. The connection they feel with McDermott is essential here. Was it a slip which voiced his real feelings that they felt was always there just under the surface, or has he earned the trust in not being that.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The unmitigated arrogance of some peeps never ceases to amaze me! I can't fathom how someone can even think they could tell someone what should or shouldn't offend them! I will try one more time, but I know some are either too ignorant or too stuck in their own ideology to listen, but:

His intent in this instance does not matter one bit (unless one day he says he really thought of his players as slaves). In this instance, his mistaken reference to our shared and universally embarrassing past is a mistake that must be addressed! I agree that the people he was speaking to are the only ones who should deal with this, but peeps need to recognize we live in an evolved world. I respect the courage he showed in apologizing and for taking responsibility for his mistake and I hope he can keep coaching, but if he can't maybe it will be a lesson to others! Words have power and can have consequences so if you insist on saying he did not do anything wrong, please pray you are never held accountable for the same words you think are acceptable!

(BTW: defending what he said does nothing but identify who you really are) (It's pretty stupid since he admitted it was inappropriate himself!)

Adapt or suffer the fate of the dinosaurs!

“We live in an evolved world”

haha maybe the dumbest statement I’ve heard in awhile. All anyone has to do is go out in public for an hour to disprove this nonsense.terrified screen starers barely cognizant of their surroundings with diapers on their faces waiting for the next hot button topic to be outraged about while the storytellers continue to push the divisive narratives and laugh all the way to the bank.

more like de-evolution.

Reactions: uncfootball-
No doubt. Does the guy have a 100 word vocabulary? There are so many neutral ways to say the same concept / idea, in a few words....buy in to the team concept, buy in to what we are all trying to do here, stay on the same page, trust and believe in the team and our program, trust the process.

I know those are cliches, and the PC language stuff is overblown for sure, but it doesn't seem that hard to think ahead and speak in terms free of race / gender metaphors. Do coaches think the metaphors help the players understand the message better? Because they just don't.
While I do agree that this stuff is overblown and they should think ahead when possible, I definitely don’t understand the /gender part.
We are the only mammals that don’t realize there are two genders. Male and female. That crap won’t fly. Race, sure I see problems in that area but for crying out loud, this world has lost its mind!

The unmitigated arrogance of some peeps never ceases to amaze me! I can't fathom how someone can even think they could tell someone what should or shouldn't offend them! I will try one more time, but I know some are either too ignorant or too stuck in their own ideology to listen, but:

His intent in this instance does not matter one bit (unless one day he says he really thought of his players as slaves). In this instance, his mistaken reference to our shared and universally embarrassing past is a mistake that must be addressed! I agree that the people he was speaking to are the only ones who should deal with this, but peeps need to recognize we live in an evolved world. I respect the courage he showed in apologizing and for taking responsibility for his mistake and I hope he can keep coaching, but if he can't maybe it will be a lesson to others! Words have power and can have consequences so if you insist on saying he did not do anything wrong, please pray you are never held accountable for the same words you think are acceptable!

(BTW: defending what he said does nothing but identify who you really are) (It's pretty stupid since he admitted it was inappropriate himself!)

Adapt or suffer the fate of the dinosaurs!
So calling white people honkeys, crackers, and white boys is completely acceptable. This happens ALL THE TIME but u don't see white people throwing a shit fit over it. It's very hypocritical to let that go and think what this douche said is just horrific. I'm not saying you use theses words, but it does happen.

I remember the old TV shows All In The Family and The Jeffersons when people weren't so damn sensitive about everything and would laugh at each other. Different world today we live in

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
this is the cretin coach who devised a game plan to inflict physical assault (literally) on their opponent (UNC). i'm happy he's in trouble, and i hope he rots in he//.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The only people's opinion on whether or not the Coach's remarks were offensive are the players he was addressing at the time he said it. If they were offended and went to the AD, etc about it; and the decision is made to address it- so be it; if not, fine too. Any other opinions are irrelevant.

Reactions: gobblercalls
Plantation or Reservation were identical in the context he used. I don't believe for a second that the man had any remote racial references in mind when he made the statement.
I don’t think I’ve heard anyone ever say plantation in accordance with that specific reference until last week when it happened lol. So that’s a new one for me

The unmitigated arrogance of some peeps never ceases to amaze me! I can't fathom how someone can even think they could tell someone what should or shouldn't offend them!

I agree, no one should be able to tell someone else what they can and cannot be offended by. But why should anyone care what you’re offended by?

For the record, I thought the reference was stupid. I would have said “reservation” instead. Wait a minute...

yet you do this ad nauseam

I agree, no one should be able to tell someone else what they can and cannot be offended by. But why should anyone care what you’re offended by?

For the record, I thought the reference was stupid. I would have said “reservation” instead. Wait a minute...
Some do not care about being offensive or displaying poor behavior. In this case he may not care deep down, although he has said he does.

Most do care about the repercussions of exhibiting poor behavior and being offensive though. I guess some only care about acting or talking like an ass if it directly affects them. When they are acknowledged by enough people as such for it, it then affects their life.

Last edited:
Some do not care about being offensive or displaying poor behavior. In this case he may not care deep down, although he has said he does.

Most do care about the repercussions of exhibiting poor behavior and being offensive though. I guess some only care about acting or talking like an ass if it directly affects them. When they are acknowledged by enough people as such for it, it then affects their life.

Why is it deemed poor behavior? Because you don’t like it?

How do his words effect anyone? Does the sheer utterance of the word “plantation” create mental anguish?

I'm not deeming it as anything. It was deemed as offensive by enough involved and his behavior led to his suspension, if not more, by those who employ him.

So even if his heartfelt apology is not sincere and he really couldn't care less who he offends, it has affected his life enough to care at this point.

People are apparently so bored with their lives now that they need to create drama and pretend to be victimized by almost everything. The phone can only provide so much distraction- I mean when your done playing candy crush and arguing on Twitter you still have an hour left in the day.
Might as well use it to be offended by a word a mid major colllege basketball coach used in a press conference.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I'm not deeming it as anything. It was deemed as offensive by enough involved and his behavior led to his suspension, if not more, by those who employ him.
Was it though? The initial response from the AD was that he wouldn't be suspended. The statement by the assistant didn't seem to indicate that he thought the coach should be suspended, so unless a lot of players complained it seems as though the people involved didn't want it. It does seem like enough loud people not involved were offended, though. That brings up the question, should anyone care what people not involved think about it? I don't think the athletic department should care about a third party opinion, especially if that opinion might be a minority (minority as in size, not race) opinion.

That is a good question. He immediately offered his resignation, and apologized for his actions/words, there were offended parties in the locker room and with his superiors immediately. The degree of punishment has grown as they get information from those in the program.

How the final decision on him remaining in his leadership position will play out, I have no clue. I would guess it will depend a lot on how he has established himself as a person while being the head coach on that job to this point, and also how well and believably he handles his admitted serious misstep.

Last edited:
plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation, plantation.

Reactions: bluetoe
In retrospect, think it was a slip of the tongue and he probably meant "reservation" The phrase he used would definitely cause an African American to feel he was being called a slave. I did not ever say that punk arsed coach meant to call his players slaves! I in fact said quite clearly that it was a mistake, but one that has consequences. ("he called his players slaves" is far too simplistic for this incident BTW, since at best he implied it.) If my foot slips off the brake and hits the gas causing me to hit the car in front of me; my mistake had a consequence and I will be at fault. This is similar in that his mistake will be a small thing to some and rather large to others! It is at best insensitive and at worst complete ignorance to attempt to tell someone their feelings aren't valid! One must have the life experiences of another person before they can judge their reactions to stimuli! If you aren't A-A, you might want to take my word for the validity of these feelings and try to understand why Black peeps might see that reference in the way I described! Or not and refuse knowledge just because it doesn't fit your world view or your preferred narrative!

stupid analogy. A more realistic one is you let your foot slip off the brake and the car lunges ahead and ALMOST hits the vehicle in front of it, but contact and any actual damage is avoided. However, some idiot in a nearby car gets out and starts screeching hysterically that the car ahead was threatened by your unthinking behavior and insists that you turn in your drivers license because you are guilty of unforgiveable negligence. The dire consequence you speak of exists only in the minds of the gullibly moronic.

Reactions: gobblercalls
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT