ADVERTISEMENT

Pet peeves

Blue2010

Hall of Famer
Aug 8, 2010
What is the one or two things that just completely get to you? I know we can all write a novel here (or at least I can), but getting outside this weekend reminded me of undoubtedly one of my top hated activities:

1. Raking / Bagging leaves. Words truly do not describe my hatred for this task, which is almost always then followed up by a raging sinus infection.

2. Whining / Complaining / Gossipping people. I'ma pretty reserved person but I would rather hear Dukie V celebrating a Dook victory than these people speak. (no, seriously). By the way, I do notice the irony in this statement in regards to this post. :)

Discuss...

This post was edited on 3/16 11:42 PM by Blue2010

Sending an email at work and then immediately walking to my desk, interrupting me, and talking about the email you just sent instead of waiting for me to get to it like everyone else has to.

Two people with carts standing right in the middle of the isle side by side blocking the whole dern isle while they chit-chat!
mad.r191677.gif

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
People ahead of u in a forever long line to order food that get to the counter and still dont know what they want
Posted from Rivals Mobile
This reminds me something. People who either 1.) go through a drive thru and order something really picky with extreme detail or 2.) go through a drive thru and order about 4 different meals with all sorts of different preferences. If you have to order something that requires quite a large amount of explanation, go inside and do it. Don't sit there in your car trying to explain something over a freaking intercom for 15 minutes when you can barely understand anyone over that thing to begin with. I get behind someone like that every single time, it seems like.

Bad drivers.

People who don't put their shopping carts away.

People who go through the Express line with more than the posted amount. One or two items is fine, but any more than that gets a comment from me if I am behind them.

People talking on their cell phones as there checking out at the check out stand. That just seems awfully rude to me.

When the person in line behind starts to crowd up on you while your still completing your credit/debit card transaction... ever hear of personal space idiot?

Originally posted by TarHeelMark:
When the person in line behind starts to crowd up on you while your still completing your credit/debit card transaction... ever hear of personal space idiot?
Oh hell yes. I will turn and glare at the person til they move.

I also get really pissed when a doctors office keeps me waiting past my appointment time. You told me 10, I was here at 955 and it's now 1015. I will generally leave when that happens and tell them to call me when they are ready to see me.

Here's a work one- people who send irrelevant emails High Importance. And people who tack a read receipt to every email.

I was in line this afternoon in Oklahoma City at a convenience store where I had simply stopped to get a newspaper to be able to do the crossword and jumble while I had dinner at a local restaurant. There was a young woman in front of me approximately 25 years old who had several energy drinks, several packages of gummy bears and she also bought multiple packs of cigarettes. When she was told the total she asked if they took EBT cards and the nice lady said yes. Well then she had to go outside to her car to get her purse and I ended up just standing there for about 5 minutes before she returned. And then when she swiped her card somehow the original total got reduced. Just amazing. At least the nice lady working at the convenience store thanked me for my patience.
grin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by UNCWayno:

I was in line this afternoon in Oklahoma City at a convenience store where I had simply stopped to get a newspaper to be able to do the crossword and jumble while I had dinner at a local restaurant. There was a young woman in front of me approximately 25 years old who had several energy drinks, several packages of gummy bears and she also bought multiple packs of cigarettes. When she was told the total she asked if they took EBT cards and the nice lady said yes. Well then she had to go outside to her car to get her purse and I ended up just standing there for about 5 minutes before she returned. And then when she swiped her card somehow the original total got reduced. Just amazing. At least the nice lady working at the convenience store thanked me for my patience.
grin.r191677.gif
I would think the total got reduced because EBT does not pay for cigarettes. Energy drinks and gummy bears are OK but no cigs.

Originally posted by coolwaterunc:
Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
People ahead of u in a forever long line to order food that get to the counter and still dont know what they want
This reminds me something. People who either 1.) go through a drive thru and order something really picky with extreme detail or 2.) go through a drive thru and order about 4 different meals with all sorts of different preferences. If you have to order something that requires quite a large amount of explanation, go inside and do it. Don't sit there in your car trying to explain something over a freaking intercom for 15 minutes when you can barely understand anyone over that thing to begin with. I get behind someone like that every single time, it seems like.
Similar to this, I hate when one person gets multiple orders but pays for each different order. I'm like, can't you just pay for it all and work it out with your buddies afterwards? If not, then stop making a run for everybody. It's annoying.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Here's a work one- people who send irrelevant emails High Importance. And people who tack a read receipt to every email.
The first one isn't that big of a deal to me because I decide what it's important - not anyone else.

But the second one, yeah, I hate those people.

People who use bluetooth headsets to talk on the phone in public.

I always think they're talking to me -- which is a pet peeve in itself -- and then I look idiotic when I'm like "what....? Oh nevermind..." as they walk past me.

All good examples - on the work one, reminded me:

** The over-use of the "Reply All" feature on emails. I understand keeping everyone informed on something, but once the email chain becomes conversational - which is pretty much unavoidable, it's time to let some people drop off the chain. Example:

Email to everyone -- "We have an important meeting tomorrow...all must attend"

Then 50 people use Reply-All to say: "Will do!" "See ya then!" "I'll be there"....and on and on and f*&*ing on...

There's my gripe for the day.

another work one...

people that nuke up leftover fish in the microwave and then proceed to eat it at their desk, thus funking up the breakroom AND the entire cubicle farm for the rest of the day

another work one...

people that nuke up leftover fish in the microwave and then proceed to eat it at their desk, thus funking up the breakroom AND the entire cubicle farm for the rest of the day
THIS X 1,000,000!!! That's crazy you mentioned that because it's happened twice at my work in the past 2 months. Somebody brings some rank @ss fish and re-heats it and it wafts throughout the whole dang office.

I don't eat fish -- it doesn't agree with me -- and despise the smell of it, so I hate whoever it is who brings that ish to work.

another work one...

I kid you not... I used to work at a place where a guy would bring chitlins in a tupperware bowl and heat it up in the microwave. He would clear the break area out in about 10 seconds. I've never smelled anything that smelled worse.

Loud music, especially bass, coming from another car at a stoplight or from stores in a mall.

Another one that gets me is the small town South tradition of stopping for a funeral procession going down the road in the other direction. I have it written into my will that my funeral will be done incognito with lights off so that the rest of the people on the road can go about their business without having to wait on the thousands of cars which will be following my hearse.
This post was edited on 3/18 5:34 PM by UNC71-00

Another one that gets me is the small town South tradition of stopping for a funeral procession going down the road in the other direction. I have it written into my will that my funeral will be done incognito with lights off so that the rest of the people on the road can go about their business without having to wait on the two cars which will be following my hearse.
FIFY

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Another one that gets me is the small town South tradition of stopping for a funeral procession going down the road in the other direction. I have it written into my will that my funeral will be done incognito with lights off so that the rest of the people on the road can go about their business without having to wait on the two cars which will be following my hearse.
FIFY
Your mom and sister are riding in separate cars?

Easy-Home-Remedies-For-Minor-Burns.jpg

One pet peeve moving up my list is internet slide shows. Would I like to see the 10 greatest NCAA tournament upsets of all time? Why sure I would. But not if I have to click through 11 pages to do it, not counting the advertisements inserted before every third slide. What, those ads are all 15-second videos that I can't close? Oh hell no. Lately, I close the browser window the second I see it's a slide show. Just not worth it.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
ec

One pet peeve moving up my list is internet slide shows. Would I like to see the 10 greatest NCAA tournament upsets of all time? Why sure I would. But not if I have to click through 11 pages to do it, not counting the advertisements inserted before every third slide. What, those ads are all 15-second videos that I can't close? Oh hell no. Lately, I close the browser window the second I see it's a slide show. Just not worth it.
Yeah, that is a good one. I have a few others.

-cliches

-People who don't put stuff back in a store or wait for a parking spot while I'm behind you. I'll generally go around and honk so it is a wonder I haven't been shot yet. I'll also pick up something someone puts down in the wrong place and say, 'I guess I'll put this up for you'. One day I'm going to probably get beaten. However, laziness just bothers me.

-Parking in handicap spots when one shouldn't. I don't care if you have a placard or not. If you aren't handicapped don't park there.

-Idiots who play golf and don't understand courtesty. If you are a hacker, hit the range for a couple of years before you put me through a 5 hour round because you won't let me play through.

-People who say they hit a 300 yard drive during a round. No, no you did not.

Martial artists who wear their gear/insignia/etc in public. Esp that affliction or tap out stuff. The humility aspect of martial arts has been lost with the mma culture. i go old school with my students and they are not allowed to wear anything denoting the dojo or their rank in public.

MLB's lack of uniform regulation. Friggin' baseball pants six inches too long bunched up around their shoelaces. Look like they're playing in pajamas two sizes too big!!

When a new register opens up and the people at the back of a long line get to go first instead of the people who had been waiting in the long line for a while.

People who hand out their food to everyone in their full car at the drive thru window instead of moving forward before doing it. The worst is when they do this and the driver starts stuffing their face with fries or something.

People who don't thank you for letting them cut in front when driving.

There are more, many more. ;)

Duke winning titles.
...And the subsequent, PackPride-esque whining-ness of Radar afterwards. Five threads toward the top all about the refs and Duke getting calls and just general whining.

Embarrassing.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Duke winning titles.
...And the subsequent, PackPride-esque whining-ness of Radar afterwards. Five threads toward the top all about the refs and Duke getting calls and just general whining.

Embarrassing.
Yep. Whining about refs after a game is the worst.

Duke winning titles.
Acknowledging duke winning a title in a thread that wasn't even remotely related to basketball.

I don't know about y'all. But the only thing worse than duke winning a title is people thinking I care that duke won a title. I don't know a whole lot of duke fans. But if I talk to any in the next few days, and they start to crow, I'll probably go with, "Oh yeah, congrats. I didn't watch but I heard it was a pretty good game." And then I would continue to go on with trivializing their accomplishment the best way I could - start talking about real life problems (maybe even make something up), act like I don't know too much about college basketball - just basically putting out the vibe that college basketball and duke winning is so very unimportant to me. It takes the wind out of their sails.

Originally posted by JuleZ '02 HEEL:
Cigarette butts thrown out the car window.
This drives me absolutely insane. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does.

Another, is the parking lot stalker. You know, the person who is slowly creeping behind you in their car while you're walking, to see if you have a close-to-the-door spot. Often times, I'll just stop and look around like I'm confused and can't remember where I parked until they leave.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
People who bump weeks-old threads.
Sorry!
laugh.r191677.gif
[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT