ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: How Many Freshman Will Start Against Charleston, and Which Freshmen are Most Likely to Get the Nod Early?

How many frosh will start against Charleston? Which frosh will start early in the season?

• 0 freshmen will start against Charleston

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puff Johnson will start early in the season

• Kerwin Walton will start early in the season

• Total voters

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Multiple responses allowed. Use one vote to pick the number of freshmen you think will start against Charleston.

Then use up to 3 votes to designate the freshmen you think have the best shot of starting as freshmen early in the season (not necessarily in the very first game).

We probably won't disagree too much on this, but there could be surprises.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but it won't surprise me if Roy starts Caleb and RJ in the back court in the first game. If not, I assume Caleb will be the one freshman to start that game.

Some of the choice may depend on how healthy and far along Anthony Harris is. But, let's face it, Ant is basically still a freshman (although not counted that way for this poll). If Roy isn't willing to start 2 freshman - which is a good bet for Roy because he likes experience - I expect to see Playtek start in place of RJ.

Platek should never start ahead of Davis and if he does then Roy deserves all the dirt that is thrown his way on the recruiting trails and aau circuit.

Reactions: Spaceytoyz
1st Game starters will be: Love, Platek, Leaky, Bacot, Brooks. Unless something drastic happens this is the line-up most should expect if they have watched Roy for more than one season! If this line-up starts it will mean that: 1. Platek has demonstrated improved shooting/defensive positioning. 2. Ant is not ready for full time starter status. 3. RJ did not blow everyone out of the water! I would bet the farm right now this line-up begins the season. I would also bet that RJ is too good to stay on the bench so he will be up quick in games and most likely see some starts before ACC time! There is almost 0% chance more than two freshman start ANY game barring the I word! (or I guess the C-19 words, lol) Kessler and Sharpe will see plenty of action as I expect Roy will go to some platoon type subbing and it will be glorious to see those 6 pukies actually gasping for breath, lol! Puff and Walton are the wild cards to me and their development will determine their PT.

If you question Roy's chops simply because he plays 1 player, I believe that is a little disingenuous. His success doing exactly this can't be questioned, but to each his own! I find it amusing that we would give any more credence to the things peeps say on the recruiting trail than we do to political ads, LOL!

Coby, platek, leaky, bacot, and brooks couldnt win crap last year so I expect that Roy will have a short leash with sub par performance. He has something this year he didnt have last year and that is quality depth. Kessler and Sharpe are gonna be great. I could see each of those bigs playing 20+ min per game.

Hardest thing to pick up for a freshman is at the PG SG rotations. They have to know what everyone is doing on the court and its tough for a freshman with just 30 practices. Davis and Love will answer the bell in the PG spot and SG spot, but not day one. I see Love being the day 1 starter and by midseason Davis has the PG reins with Love and Harris doing a lot of damage from the 2. I didnt like reading that walton is working out by himself. Doesnt sound good. Quiet assassin is a great quality, but you have to have chemistry with your fellow players. Hope I didnt read too much into that. Some of the upperclassmen need to pull him in and show the love cuz kid is a long way from home.

PG: Love, Davis, KJ (coach loves him)
SG: Platek, Harris, Walton, Love
SF: Leaky, Johnson, Walton, Sharpe
PF: Brooks, Kessler, Sharpe, Miller
C: Bacot, Sharpe, Kessler, Manley

If Manley can play...he starts day 1. By midseason, the whole line up could be reversed. I would LOVE to see the old BLUE WHITE squads do wholesale substitutions every 5 minutes. Just kill the opposition so they have no legs by the middle of second half. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Platek and Leaky start game one, Game 2 or week 2 Davis replaces Platek. Leaky continues to be such an interesting player. I think we have better talent in some of our freshman, but his ability to handle and pass might ease Love's transition to college basketball.

I would love to see Platek become just a spot up three point Sharpe shooter coming off the bench. I still have allot of hope for Leaky because I think he is cut from the Jackie Manuel, David Noel, and Theo Pinson mold. Each of those players starter to make strides there Junior year.

If Brooks could play the three I would say Sharpe would start as well, but the question was game one starters as freshman, I can only see Love unless RJ is better than what I think.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I must agree on Platek starting early at the shooting guard position because Davis is being groomed as the backup point guard. Also I do not believe Coach Williams will start two freshmen guards early. Some might remember Bobby Frazor started over Lawson early...

Leaky was hurt all year and played 3 positions. Platek had mental yips and couldn't get out of his own head to shoot. Bacot was a freshman and injured as well and Brooks was All ACC! The team never developed chemistry because they never had a starting 5 who played more than two consecutive games together! Everything on the above list has been vastly improved with the possible exception of Platek's mental status! So....why would anyone expect a repeat???

Leaky is a matchup nightmare at 3 and has exploitable liabilities at 1 & 2! Health and proper position will fix ALL of his issues! Bacot gets the customary Tar Heel bump and I expect a monster season! Brooks with some freakin' rest will be a problem! Platek is still a cipher, but I'm optimistic by nature and he is saying all the right stuff! Manley will NOT start even if healthy because that would sit Brooks and Bacot. AND he has had catastrophic lower leg injuries since he was in HS; there is no way he could be ready to start this early! Ant is the X-factor that might change the line-up.

Roy will substitute in waves and soon we will hear the "he should shorten the rotation" mantra form the faithful! We play at least 10-12 deep all year!

When you are a matchup nightmare, you should actually look to score. Leaky, for all his ability, is NOT a scorer. Could he...sure. But a leopard doesnt change his spots and I think he will play a lot of PG. A matchup nightmare is Kessler, Sharpe and Brooks on the floor at the same time. Kessler and Sharpe can shoot the ball so a BIG lineup is very possible. I would love to see it. I would also like to see A LOT scoring and less passing. What ever happened to IF they are in your face as a defender you go to the basket. Good things happen when you goto the basket. But not with 3 seconds on the clock 25 feet from the basket. I do think UNC is gonna have a great season. Gonna take a little time with the chemistry, but we need some leadership to step and ensure that everyone that is in the boat is rowing in the same direction.

Leaky isn't wired to be an alpha dog or a pure scorer. He is more of a Theo type stat stuffer by nature. If you remove the issues of him trying to run a team + health and playing out of position and use him exclusively at the 3, he becomes the nightmare. He can facilitate, rebound, D up, and he has been putting in massive work on his shooting. I think a lot of his tentativeness was him trying to figure out the system (at 3 positions) and seeking too much approval from the coaches! Kessler is already a problem, but he is a 4 not a 3. Brooks for all his versatility is a 4 too who can play some 5 and I hope we don't waste time with him at 3. I can see a great lineup with Kessler and Brooks together and we have plenty of great potential Big combos now. We are loaded on the wing and do not need our bigs to be out there! (Kessler as a stretch 4 is the only one I want to see)

And to think there on people on this board that think he should is crazy. For Platek to be starting over an McDonalds all American is just plain nuts.

Yeah I agree don't go get a 5 star kid and make him sit for a guy he is clearly more talented than..

Reactions: 3skinny
Yeah I agree don't go get a 5 star kid and make him sit for a guy he is clearly more talented than..
Not only that but have these people been watching Platek play the last three years and with a straight face can say he should be starting with the talent Unc has on this roster. Platek is not a Acc starter and should never be for Unc.

Oh Platek will start. Everyone on this board and Tarheel Nation know Roy is gonna start him. If he can play a spot up shooter and be consistent, then he has a role on this team. But...if he shoots like he did last year...then he will get the hook...but I bet it takes 10 games before Roy makes that call. Shame we arent the coach. :)

So: The coach should recruit players and determine who starts by their High School numbers and national ranking??? Got it! I guess it is a little old-school to watch them in practice; get a feel for their work ethic and defensive prowess; consider team chemistry; maybe consider balancing the 1st and 2nd squads; take the mental state into consideration (IE: some peeps thrive as starters and pout if on the bench; some do better or accept coming off the bench); see them against grown men and not podunk HS with its 6'3" center; ensure the starters include a mix of defenders, shooters, ball handlers, AND glue guys; OR make your own decisions because you have been doing it for 40 years and are in the HOF! Oh, I forgot, you probably shouldn't pay attention to how they performed in college games unless it is to record their shooting percentages! (health can't be a factor either, I guess)

Only talent matters now so it is OK if you are simply showcasing your own talents and don't care about team success!

In this scenario: Bacot is the only returner who could possibly start!

Bacot, Love, Sharpe, Kessler, and Davis must be our starters!

Reactions: itstartedwithmj
Your theory doesn't make sense at all when it come to Platek who has been here three years and been plain terrible and will never be half the player Rj Davis is. But hey if you want to watch we did last year keep playing the Plateks over McDonalds all Americans and see what happens.

Reactions: carolinablue34
So playing Platek caused what happened last year? That is one conclusion that COULD be drawn from your comment, but I hope nobody is silly enough to think this!

Originally, I stated that IF Roy starts Platek, it will mean he has seen growth; improved shooting, and a healthier mental state in PRACTICE! Conversely, IF RJ starts I said it would mean he blew everyone out of the water in PRACTICE. Stars don't mean a person can compete at UNC: attitude, work ethic, character, defense, and talent must be combined with team needs to determine this! RJ and the other Freshmen will play a ton, but outside of Love, they might not start a single game! So what, how long and when you are in the game is far more important than who starts in our Family!

I know what I will see next year! Vast improvement, hungry players, intense coaches, and a Tourney/ACC contender!

Reactions: shun1
Leaky isn't wired to be an alpha dog or a pure scorer. He is more of a Theo type stat stuffer by nature. If you remove the issues of him trying to run a team + health and playing out of position and use him exclusively at the 3, he becomes the nightmare. He can facilitate, rebound, D up, and he has been putting in massive work on his shooting. I think a lot of his tentativeness was him trying to figure out the system (at 3 positions) and seeking too much approval from the coaches! Kessler is already a problem, but he is a 4 not a 3. Brooks for all his versatility is a 4 too who can play some 5 and I hope we don't waste time with him at 3. I can see a great lineup with Kessler and Brooks together and we have plenty of great potential Big combos now. We are loaded on the wing and do not need our bigs to be out there! (Kessler as a stretch 4 is the only one I want to see)

While I agree, Leaky is NOT wired to be a big time scorer, I just do not see the alpha dawg in him. Theo on the other hand was IMO very much so of that alpha dawg mentality, he just was not as much a scorer as he saw himself to be. It is honestly hard for me to understand how it is a kid like Leaky, with as much raw talent as he has as being such a hesitant scorer? He was that way prior to college, he just never was a big time scorer even against high school kids? It is as if he is just scared to try to aggressively look to score, way low on the confidence meter as a scorer.

I do think Leaky will develop in to a plus defender, how much he improves this year will show me if he is in the Jackie or Theo ilk as a defender at the 3, I do think he could get to that level.

As for who starts day 1 this season, the only one I would bet the ranch on is Brooks, unless he gets hurt he starts every game. From all I have heard, Ant, while not ready today is ahead of his last recovery and is expected to be full go by game 1, I say he starts if that is fact and if he isn't, I would have to say RJ does. Frankly, while I do think Love starts at the point, think I like Love more as a 2 than point, with RJ as a bit of a Joel Berry like starting PG. On record right now, I am all in on RJ Davis, kid has that junk yard dawg in him even if he is a touch under sized, again, like Joel Berry. Only concern is when both of your PGs start together, you can only pull one of them at a time for breathers.

Leaky and Love are to me near locks to start along with Brooks. I think Bacot starts at the 5 but that kid has to really step up huge because Sharpe and Kessler are big timers and will play a LOT, a LOT!

Reactions: shun1 and TPFKAPFS
As usual DSouthr you make great points and I agree with almost all of them but I still feel strongly that Platek will start at the two I stead of Davis. No question starting Davis would be a stronger and more talented team but as you mentioned who is the point guard when those two guys need a break.

Many forget that Lawson and Ellington did not start together early as there was another guard named Bobby Frazier who Coach Coach Williams trusted more. Seems to me it is the same type scenario...

So playing Platek caused what happened last year? That is one conclusion that COULD be drawn from your comment, but I hope nobody is silly enough to think this!

Originally, I stated that IF Roy starts Platek, it will mean he has seen growth; improved shooting, and a healthier mental state in PRACTICE! Conversely, IF RJ starts I said it would mean he blew everyone out of the water in PRACTICE. Stars don't mean a person can compete at UNC: attitude, work ethic, character, defense, and talent must be combined with team needs to determine this! RJ and the other Freshmen will play a ton, but outside of Love, they might not start a single game! So what, how long and when you are in the game is far more important than who starts in our Family!

I know what I will see next year! Vast improvement, hungry players, intense coaches, and a Tourney/ACC contender!
Not quite as silly than someone that has seen Platek play over the last three years and still believes he should start over Rj Davis.

Reactions: carolinablue34
Bacot, Love, Sharpe, Kessler, and Davis must be our starters!
I know you were just having fun, but that could be a fine team. Roy might need to play more zone. And they might get spun around a few times early in the season. But if you kept them as starters all year, I bet they'd be pretty awesome around tournament time, and maybe a lot sooner. Usual caveats apply.

Cool think about that starting lineup is that when you bring in subs, the subs could really slice and dice the opposition. No letdown. Maybe even a step-up.

WWJD: Accidental genius is still genius!

To be clear: I never said Platek should start, I said he would start! I don't make statements about who should start because I coached enough to know that outsiders no matter how knowledgeable simply can't see every dynamic!
1. Platek is the frontrunner due to Roy's history, seniority, and knowledge of the system.
2. Ant is next to me and his status is based on health and Platek's improvement.
3. RJ is third depending on Ant's health and Platek's improvement. (need to have a viable 2nd PG so this moves him also)
4. Wild card: RJ at 1 and Love at 2 (may see this at some point, but not early)

Bigs;
1. Brooks starts all year = No Brainer! (hopefully 0 time at 3, some 4)
2. Bacot starts the first few games +game play and practice determine his status
3. Kessler backs up Bacot and may slide to small 5
4. Sharpe backs up Brooks and Bacot
5. Manley is a wild card and health + conditioning determine minutes

This is the order I see from the outside and I believe these next few days of practice + the first few games will determine the pecking order.

4 starters are a lock for sure in Love, Leaky, Bacot and Brooks, but the 5th will be interesting to see. Maybe Coach Roy will insert another shooter and have Puff and Leaky interchange between the 2 and 3.

4 starters are a lock for sure in Love, Leaky, Bacot and Brooks, but the 5th will be interesting to see. Maybe Coach Roy will insert another shooter and have Puff and Leaky interchange between the 2 and 3.

It would be (IMO) smarter to start Love (or RJ) at the point playing beside a more experienced 2. My problem with that is Platek is our most experienced 2 and last season seemed to show me that Platek is just not a starter level talent. I honestly do not see an area in his game, outside of maybe hitting a few more open jumpers, that I see him able to improve on to make him more asset than liability. He just is not going to become quicker, his ball handle is not going to wow, while he gets in good defensive position he struggles to stay with quicker guards? Not to dump on the kid, just sharing what I saw all last season. To me it has to be either Ant or RJ starting at the 2 and maybe bring Platek in to relive RJ so he can come back in for Love.

Same with the 5 spot, it may be smarter to start 1 of the freshmen (Sharpe) so he can play beside the experience of Brooks and then bring Bacot and Kessler in so that you have experience playing beside talented freshmen?

My thing is I do not want to see us get in to a hole from the opening tip and to prevent that I feel better when we have our most talented guys on the floor at the opening tip, if it is a close call go with experience but if not go with the freshman. I just do not see Platek as being a close call when I see RJ Davis, to me close would be Platek and Walton (because Walton is a freshman). RJ, Love, Sharpe, and Kessler are ready now freshmen that just need seasoning in our schemes to add experience to that amazing talent.

As usual DSouthr you make great points and I agree with almost all of them but I still feel strongly that Platek will start at the two I stead of Davis. No question starting Davis would be a stronger and more talented team but as you mentioned who is the point guard when those two guys need a break.

Many forget that Lawson and Ellington did not start together early as there was another guard named Bobby Frazier who Coach Coach Williams trusted more. Seems to me it is the same type scenario...

ID, I darn sure would not bet pocket change that Platek would NOT start because yeah, I know Roy. I just see RJ as a kid that can put so much separation between what he can do to what Platek offers that he could give Roy little option.

Platek doesn't offer any scoring threat whatsoever. He's a liability on the defensive end. He's best in spot up or mop up duty. Those freshman need their scholarships revoked if he starts over them 😂

But in all seriousness, I think RJ Davis or someone else starts at the 2. Knowledge of the system doesn't matter if you aren't good enough to keep up in D1 competition.

Reactions: 3skinny
I don't think anybody questions the fact that RJ has a much higher ceiling (possibly floor as well) than Platek! I slightly disagree that he can't improve on anything but his shooting, however. He can get "faster" be learning to anticipate better and rotating more precisely. For example, not sagging too far into the lane and exposing his lack of quickness on recovery.

Boils down to: If RJ blows all others out of the water, he starts. If RJ internalizes the fact that the good of the team is better served by him coming off the bench, this would trump the talent card though. If Platek has improved, he starts. If Ant is healthy and in shape, he might start too. The smart money is on Platek for the first 2-3 games!

Id be almost shocked if Platek and Leaky didn't start the first game. A much different day and age, but that is what Dean did in all but the rarest cases. And Roy seems to take those lessons to the extreme. Figure that will evolve as the season goes along.

This whole "I know Roy" thing regarding freshman is just not accurate anymore. He's given the keys to the offense to now 3 straight freshman PGs and started Bacot most of last season.

Roy will start the best 5 players.
I want RJ Davis to start and have said so multiple times here but having said it once again and knowing Roy, starting a complete freshman back court may not be the better plan. Yes, Roy has started freshmen at the point but remind me of the last time Roy started a totally freshman back court, especially remind me as to when he did that in game 1 of a season?

I want RJ Davis to start and have said so multiple times here but having said it once again and knowing Roy, starting a complete freshman back court may not be the better plan. Yes, Roy has started freshmen at the point but remind me of the last time Roy started a totally freshman back court, especially remind me as to when he did that in game 1 of a season?

Off the top of my head I don't remember...but he's also never come off of a season like last year.

I think we could all agree that the talent level in the players coming back (outside of the 2 bigs) is not great and the talent level of the guys coming in is one of his best in history. So we've got that working for us.

I think he'll give the nod to the upperclassmen early, but I'd bet by mid-late season we've got RJ/Caleb starting.

Off the top of my head I don't remember...but he's also never come off of a season like last year.

I think we could all agree that the talent level in the players coming back (outside of the 2 bigs) is not great and the talent level of the guys coming in is one of his best in history. So we've got that working for us.

I think he'll give the nod to the upperclassmen early, but I'd bet by mid-late season we've got RJ/Caleb starting.

I think what we will see is Roy more adjust things in terms of playing time as opposed to who is in the game at the opening tip. Kids want to play, while being a 'starter" is important to a degree, you tell me which you would rather see:

Platek start for us until Ant is ready and play 10-15mins a game while RJ logs in 20mins+ a game or RJ start and play fewer minutes ? Roy tends to adjust minutes more than who begins the game. Again, I am SOLD on RJ, he and Sharpe are my freshmen of choice, BOTH ABSOLUTE starter quality guys IMO. But there is value in those those highly experienced seniors (that may be seen as plan B guys that do have talent but maybe not as much as another guy at their position). ESPECIALLY a senior, I re-learned that watching BRob last season! While many touted BRob as a worthy starter before last season began, I didn't, he had not shown me starter level production prior to last season and guess what, I was WRONG! That kid really surprised me (hated he was hurt as much as he was, his being out due to injury so much is a litely discussed topic but in my view it may have effected us as much as Cole's injury did).

Back to plan B guys as starters, Roy (as he learned from Dean) puts a HUGE spotlight on his seniors, they are his on court coaches, he really embraces them as well he should. It isn't just about making jump shots, it is about all of what they have learned since coming to UNC, it is about how to play as much if not more than actual production.

I will say this about Platek, for all the negatives thrown around about him, the kid does play hard and he usually is in the right position, he knows what to do even if he does not have the talent level to execute it, there is value in showing those kids with more talent what they are supposed to be doing.

1st Game starters will be: Love, Platek, Leaky, Bacot, Brooks. Unless something drastic happens this is the line-up most should expect if they have watched Roy for more than one season! I would also bet that RJ is too good to stay on the bench so he will be up quick in games and most likely see some starts before ACC time!
This.
RJ and the other Freshmen will play a ton, but outside of Love, they might not start a single game! So what, how long and when you are in the game is far more important than who starts in our Family!

We’re in agreement on all of this.

I agree with those who say Plates will initially start at SG. But he, like most of the players, will have a short leash if not playing well. Roy, as is his wont, will substitute freely and will drive some fans to distraction with some of the lineups he plays. It is an annual phenomenon. It may take him a while to figure his rotations out, but he will have a very talented and deep squad.

I think that is the key most seem to be missing. Roy has the luxury of returning to his preferred style. He will play an extended bench; he will substitute freely; he will change entire lineups to make a point; and he will choose lineups based on in-game play, practice performance, and opponent make up. He will reward seniority and sub quickly when peeps have inefficient days. He will run faster than ever and we should see possessions go way up and a return to scoring 85+!

Leaky, PLatek, Ant, and Stir are question marks for various reasons, but I believe all but possibly Manley will be able to step up at some point! Manley may never get over his injury prone nature and might be the next Big whose lower extremities compromised a promising career! (I pray this is not so!)

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT