ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: NCAA Tournament - Kentucky vs. The Field

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Predict this year's National Champion. Your choices are Kentucky or anyone not named Kentucky. Just curious to see what folks think about the Wildcats' chance to win it all this season.

I'll take the field. Kentucky is very good, but, they aren't unbeatable . .

I'd take UK, UVA, Wisc, and Arizona against the field.

Any year, one team against the field in a single elimination tourney is a bad bet. Like other posters said, think of all the years (more years than not, I'd say) where the clear cut best team fell short of the title. Including several for us. One injury, one off night shooting, one hot night from another team, is all it takes.

UK will turn up its intensity I suppose, but several teams within the very weak SEC even played them within a few points and / or took them to overtime. I could see UVA or Wisconsin being a problem for them, because both teams are smart, well coached, disciplined, fundamentally sound (FT shooting, etc) and experienced.

Originally posted by gary-7:
SMH and chuckling.
Gary,
This poll (the UK votes) is probably a good tally / counter of the number of UK visitors to this board.

Originally posted by Heelicious:
Originally posted by gary-7:
SMH and chuckling.
Gary,
This poll (the UK votes) is probably a good tally / counter of the number of UK visitors to this board.
Bingo... and part of the reason for my derisive chuckling...
laugh.r191677.gif

The minute "UK" is on ANY board they there likes flies on poop. And accuse everybody else of snooping on them.
cool.r191677.gif

I did not vote, but Heelicious has it right. Probably the top 5-6 could win any tourney and the brackets play a big role. I can see UNC in the Final Four with a good bracket and expect more than a couple of SEC teams make it to the Sweet 16.

All I can say is it has been a sweet ride this season!

Of course I would take the cats if it was all in fun, but if my hard earned money was on the line there is no way I would give the field. I expect after game 2 each one will be a hard fought contest. Maybe even the second game. You can throw the regular season out the window come tournament time. I see 4 or 5 teams that could knock us off if they`re not clicking on all cylinders. Yea we`re the favorite but that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. And thanks to threads like this to try and jinks us any way you can.
chairshot.r191677.gif

Originally posted by swflakat:
I did not vote, but Heelicious has it right. Probably the top 5-6 could win any tourney and the brackets play a big role. I can see UNC in the Final Four with a good bracket and expect more than a couple of SEC teams make it to the Sweet 16.

Yes, Y'all have had a heck of season no doubt. Will anything short of a title be a failure?

My Great , great , great gran pappy always said if you got a choice of 1 or the field take the field ! How often does the team thought to be the eventual winner end up getting upset? That's why they call it March Madness baby !

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
Originally posted by swflakat:

Yes, Y'all have had a heck of season no doubt. Will anything short of a title be a failure?
If UK does lose (and I'd call it 50/50), I hope our fans realize what a great season it has been and appreciate how great the ride was...but realize most will consider it a failure.

Originally posted by Heelicious:

I'd take UK, UVA, Wisc, and Arizona against the field.

Any year, one team against the field in a single elimination tourney is a bad bet. Like other posters said, think of all the years (more years than not, I'd say) where the clear cut best team fell short of the title. Including several for us. One injury, one off night shooting, one hot night from another team, is all it takes.

UK will turn up its intensity I suppose, but several teams within the very weak SEC even played them within a few points and / or took them to overtime. I could see UVA or Wisconsin being a problem for them, because both teams are smart, well coached, disciplined, fundamentally sound (FT shooting, etc) and experienced.
I think the best indicator we have (besides being undefeated and playing cool in the clutch) is the 17 point margin vs ranked teams, which is as good as any team since some of those UCLA squads.

When they see an opponent that has any kind of reputation, things go to another level, and that's gonna be everyone they face after the 1/16 and 8/9 matchup.

UK has a very good team, no doubt it. But in no way do I think it is great or ranks up there in overall history of college basketball. They play in a weak conference and their overall schedule is not impressive. It is impressive they have been able to go undefeated. Usually a team loses a game it should not, but UK has played down many times to its opponents and nearly loss. ESPN over reports this crap because they are ESPN. I will take the field easily.

This UK team reminds me a lot of our UNC team in 2009 .... deep, super talented and unselfish. I think they cruise through the NCAA tourney like the Heels did that year, winning every game by double digits.

I hate UK but this is my opinion.

kentucky plays defense...it's gonna take a great shooting night to beat them.

it's the best, most complete team i've seen since unlv

LOL! Is Creighton gonna be in the tourney? If so,UK better hope you don't play them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT