ADVERTISEMENT

Portal, NIL and UNC Basketball

al would

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2009
Do most live for the portal and "the moment" or do you put your priorities more on developing the incoming classes and developing a team over time? Has Carolina basketball taken a back seat to a "live for the moment" mentality? Over time how will potential pro recruits look at UNC as a place to showcase their talents for whatever time they may be here if their positions will be recruited over for upper class men ala dook. I am in no way a fan of individual "all to one NIL $$" because it promotes individuality and destroys the team concept. To me it just seems the purity of college athletics has been f'd by the NCAA but that's what they do best via officiating, scheduling and NCAAT selection. But at the end of the day it seems the individual programs .. and coaches, are the ones that make of it as they will. jmo

Reactions: Oak ridger
Carolina basketball as we know it is dead. There was a time when nba scouts would look at a big and if he was from UNC they would up his rating 4 or 5 notches just because they knew the fundamentals he had learned at UNC would translate so well. Recruits came to UNC to develop and be a part of something lasting. It meant something to be a Tar Heel. Sadly that is no longer the case.

Recruits come in to use UNC to enhance their brand. NIL has completely changed the landscape and the portal is simple college free agency. Players now think "next year" and no further.

RJ may very well be the last three year starter we see at UNC.

Carolina basketball as we know it is dead. There was a time when nba scouts would look at a big and if he was from UNC they would up his rating 4 or 5 notches just because they knew the fundamentals he had learned at UNC would translate so well. Recruits came to UNC to develop and be a part of something lasting. It meant something to be a Tar Heel. Sadly that is no longer the case.

Recruits come in to use UNC to enhance their brand. NIL has completely changed the landscape and the portal is simple college free agency. Players now think "next year" and no further.

RJ may very well be the last three year starter we see at UNC.
I don’t know how to change your first line like others and say fify but change it to college basketball and I’d agree.

It's the age we live in. A lot of research says that the worker who switches jobs every 2-3 years will make 10-20% more than the person who stays at the same company I think over like 6 years. It's just happening with a younger age bracket now.

I don't know what "purity" really means. I didn't think it was pure for a coach to be able to leave for a different job whenever they wanted to. But a player had to sit a year to transfer. Maybe that was the lesser of two evils. But people don't like change... They especially don't like change in sports.

It's the age we live in. A lot of research says that the worker who switches jobs every 2-3 years will make 10-20% more than the person who stays at the same company I think over like 6 years. It's just happening with a younger age bracket now.

I don't know what "purity" really means. I didn't think it was pure for a coach to be able to leave for a different job whenever they wanted to. But a player had to sit a year to transfer. Maybe that was the lesser of two evils. But people don't like change... They especially don't like change in sports.
The problem I had when they started paying players is what it’s now turned in to. Coaches could leave before and I had no problem. It’s their job, they get paid. Do what you have to do. Now that everyone is paid, it’s no different. But I don’t have to like it.

Reported that the NCAA is about to settle in the House anti trust class action suit and agree to pay former athletes denied their NIL to the tune of 2.7 billion. This would avoid the expected 4 billion possible ruling.

They are also reported to have agreed to revenue sharing for upcoming seasons. 20 million salary cap I believe with power 5 teams. The salary cap derived from the average revenue created from the power 5 schools?

They still have two other class action suits going on related issues, they do not look to have very good odds in those either.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: al would
They are also reported to have agreed to revenue sharing for upcoming seasons. 20 million salary cap I believe with power 5 teams. The salary cap derived from the average revenue created from the power 5 schools?
Always about the $$ isn't it. I guess the natural progression is to drop down to NIL in AAU and high school. The whole world is swirling down the toilet bowl so why not drag amateur athletics with it? Already allowing trannies in women's sports so what's next?

Do most live for the portal and "the moment" or do you put your priorities more on developing the incoming classes and developing a team over time? Has Carolina basketball taken a back seat to a "live for the moment" mentality? Over time how will potential pro recruits look at UNC as a place to showcase their talents for whatever time they may be here if their positions will be recruited over for upper class men ala dook. I am in no way a fan of individual "all to one NIL $$" because it promotes individuality and destroys the team concept. To me it just seems the purity of college athletics has been f'd by the NCAA but that's what they do best via officiating, scheduling and NCAAT selection. But at the end of the day it seems the individual programs .. and coaches, are the ones that make of it as they will. jmo
Unfortunately the green can has been open!

Only 3 options…

1st option. Change…and pay the money:🏆
2nd option. Change…but go cheap:🥉>UNC
3rd option: Don’t change:💩

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT