ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (FSU game)...

Thanks for the write-up as always Gary.

RJ might have scored a ton, Mando another double deuce, EC controlled the tempo…. But todays MVP was the full court press.

UNC couldn’t hit the side of a barn, and you get days like that, so the press made the difference.

As for withers, I believe he has a role to play - he just needs to play it! He blocks shots, can rebound and can be a strong physical presence. He can’t dribble well, his passing should be limited to hand-offs and short outlets and he should take opportunistic baskets around the rim.
One thing I meant to mention in the OP, I noticed that Leonard had his guys making a conscious effort to disrupt outlet passes to Cadeau (and who can blame him?). We need to look at that and adjust (a bit further upcourt, I'm thinking) moving forward.

Going to say it louder for those in the back: this is a 6 man roster. No one else has shown that much this year. Withers is the same he's been his entire career: too many mistakes to add much value. Washington is the one with the best chance to be another contributor at some point, but he's not there now for numerous reasons.
EC, Trimble, RJ, Mondo, Ingram, Cormac, for the bulk minutes?
Washington on days when he is playing defense
Withers if he recovers from his concussion
Pax if he remembers how to shoot

Having him playing confidently could be a big boost to the efficacy of our 4/5 rotation.
Noticed his minutes were cut from 12 to 8 TN to FS. Falling off in practice maybe? Wash's minutes fairly consistent @ 8 .. but Wash seems more productive .. yet still is not where he needs to be physically. May be like some of the players last year that have some potential but found there minutes shrinking over the season. Hope that's not the case with With but it may be best for overall long term team development. Maybe hubs will give him some run against lesser teams to help him get his groove back. By the same token I'd like to see High get a little more pt too. Time will tell. GO HEELS !!

I fully expect Seth and Withers to give us solid minutes. Seth's numbers are better this year, almost across the board. Withers is playing less than he did at Lvl and his 3pt shooting has tanked, but his other numbers aren't bad. 2pt shooting is better, blocks are better, DRtg is better.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The minutes are working out like I thought. RJ, Ingram, Mando, Ryan, and when Caudeu can stay out of foul trouble will play BIG minutes barring injury/foul issues.

Playing "only" 30 minutes is sitting out a full quarter of the game. We have a separation in talent on the roster, they should get short "blows" not extended "rests".

The 5 mesh by far the best skill set wise as well. Caleb by the way is playing 35+ against quality opponents at Arizona as well. He and RJ were very similar in style, but we had NO point mentality option. We do now.

Trimble is the dee/energy guy 6th man. Washington the big giving Mando a blow. Withers an x factor on any given night. The rest splash very short minutes as needed game to game.

I fully expect Seth and Withers to give us solid minutes. Seth's numbers are better this year, almost across the board. Withers is playing less than he did at Lvl and his 3pt shooting has tanked, but his other numbers aren't bad. 2pt shooting is better, blocks are better, DRtg is better.
Withers’ turnover rate is almost 30%. That’s alarming. The problem with that is he’s been above 20% now for the third straight year. So seems in line with his career.

And his advanced metrics are pretty bad. Career low effective FG percentage. Career low def rebounding percentage.

It’s early so how much do those numbers mean? I guess we’ll see for him.

I have the feeling you’re kind of pot committed with Withers. So you’re going to see this through hell or high water.

I hope he turns it around. I still don’t know what he does well.

The 5 mesh by far the best skill set wise as well. Caleb by the way is playing 35+ against quality opponents at Arizona as well. He and RJ were very similar in style, but we had NO point mentality option. We do now.
i brought the Caleb Love thing up to absolute crickets. He’s averaging 28 minutes for the season. But against teams Arizona didn’t beat by 25+, he played 33 and 37 minutes.

And this is common. Kansas and Connecticut combined. UConn played 8 total guys and 30 total minutes from the bench. Kansas played 7 guys, 18 total bench minutes and won.

Kansas played 8 guys against Kentucky and 26 total bench minutes.

And then of course Ingram and Davis played a lot vs Florida State. We were at risk of losing!

This is a non-deal to me. And I can argue that Withers has shown he should play less, not more minutes.

Mando had his best defensive game in some time today. He was so active with his hands and blocked numerous shots. He was quick on his feet and stayed today. front of p n r guards today.
I'm always screeming at the TV for Armando to block shots or at least contest them. Most of the time he's standing there watch a players shoot over him. Saturday he did what we expect from a player his size.

I'm always screeming at the TV for Armando to block shots or at least contest them. Most of the time he's standing there watch a players shoot over him. Saturday he did what we expect from a player his size.
Right time, right place.
Those blocks Mando had Saturday were situational more than expected.
He was very active on Saturday, with his angles and footwork. Blocked shots for him are a by product of quick hands and smart paths to the ball. The blocks he gets are mostly below the rim, and not products of quick twitch athleticism.
To expect him to suddenly become something he is not at this point is wishful thinking.
If there is a future rim protector on this roster it is Zayden High. He just needs experience and strength.

Right time, right place.
He was very active on Saturday, with his angles and footwork. Blocked shots for him are a by product of quick hands and smart paths to the ball. The blocks he gets are mostly below the rim, and not products of quick twitch athleticism.
To expect him to suddenly become something he is not at this point is wishful thinking.
If there is a future rim protector on this roster it is Zayden High. He just needs experience and strength.
And don't forget, Mando has been reminded by the staff as to his value. The last thing we need is extra fouls --- we need him on the floor when it counts.

I shared this off season several times that for me the keys to this team is to use the depth they have, not limit it like we have watched the prior to 2 seasons. I wanted us to get back to running the ball on offense and we have dome that to an extent, I expect that to be at an even great extent now that Cadeau is starting, high temp all game means you MUST use your bench. But I as well shared that we needed to pressure more, vary it, at time token at time a bit more and at times full court, especially off made baskets and that as well requires you keep fresher legs out there.

Do that in my opinion really helps us hide the fact that we play 2 smallish guards together a lot, we are starting them now, that is a problem in the half court defense so we need to disrupt early and use the quickness advantage we have with those 2. When we get caught in a game like FSU where neither Ryan or Ingram are shooting well AND we allow them to settle in to half court easy, we can be exploited. I do not understand why we are having to switch so much in our back court when we should have the quickness advantage. If you are going to switch like that it needs to be something you "spring" on them rather than your primary approach, you catch them off balance when you do that. Right now teams are game planning to draw us in to mis-matches and directly exploiting it. Same with full court presses, vary the pressure and catch them with it when they are not expecting it.

Right time, right place.
LOL, as now a 5yr starter for us maybe he has picked up a thing or 2? LOL

Withers’ turnover rate is almost 30%.
What does that mean?

Withers averages 1 TO per game. To my eye, his miscues mainly come from trying to do too much.

The bad news is that 7 of his 9 of his TOs this year came against aggressive, in-your-face defensive pressure (Nova and TN). Since we need someone who can withstand that kind of pressure, he needs to get better.

Getting better may just be showing more willingness to kick the ball back out rather than trying to do too much.

To me, Withers looks like he has the necessary athleticism to be very good. I think we all see that. So using his athleticism better should be a coaching aim.

What does that mean?

Withers averages 1 TO per game. To my eye, his miscues mainly come from trying to do too much.

The bad news is that 7 of his 9 of his TOs this year came against aggressive, in-your-face defensive pressure (Nova and TN). Since we need someone who can withstand that kind of pressure, he needs to get better.

Getting better may just be showing more willingness to kick the ball back out rather than trying to do too much.

To me, Withers looks like he has the necessary athleticism to be very good. I think we all see that. So using his athleticism better should be a coaching aim.
The Louisville fans called Withers the king of unforced turnovers. Basically any time he tries to dribble drive he's at risk to dribble it off his foot, fumble it away, or throw an errant pass. As we've seen so far this year, if he does make it to the rim there is a high chance he's going to blow the layup.

Withers needs a similar talk to what Roy gave Jackie Manuel. Do what you're good at, and stop hurting the team by doing things you aren't good at. Give Withers the red light on dribble drives. On offense he needs to either camp in the corner waiting to catch and shoot open 3s, or run hard at the rim for rebounds and alley oops.

What does that mean?

The turnover rate is relative to your usage rate. Usage rate calculates how many possessions you are utilized in offensively (free-throw attempts, assists, field goals, and turnovers). From there you get your turnover rate or turnover percentage relative to how many possessions you're utilized in.

Withers is a low-usage player. He doesn't shoot it a lot, he certainly doesn't assist it a lot, he doesn't shoot a lot of free throws. So the turnovers he does commit will increase his turnover percentage because he's a low-usage player. IMO, this is a better metric than the raw turnover number. Just on a per 40-minute basis though, he's averaging 4.3 turnovers/40 minutes since the Northern Iowa game.

In fact, Withers is the only high turnover rate player in our rotation. That's one thing we've been awesome at. Everyone except Withers (and High).

Withers looks like he has the necessary athleticism to be very good.
I don't know what that means in terms of basketball skills. I just don't know what he does well on the court. To me this sounds like "he looks great getting off the bus."

What does that mean?
You've been very pro-Withers. You've said you wanted him to start. I believe you still want him to start, even though there isn't any evidence that he's shown he's capable of being a starter on a good team. So even though the evidence is overwhelming he shouldn't start (as of now). I think you're holding onto it because you're committed to that opinion. That's why I said you're pot-committed on Withers.

I guess the best question to ask regarding this... Assuming you do (and if not, my bad) Why do you still want Withers starting?

Reactions: gauchoheel
The Louisville fans called Withers the king of unforced turnovers. Basically any time he tries to dribble drive he's at risk to dribble it off his foot, fumble it away, or throw an errant pass. As we've seen so far this year, if he does make it to the rim there is a high chance he's going to blow the layup.

Withers needs a similar talk to what Roy gave Jackie Manuel. Do what you're good at, and stop hurting the team by doing things you aren't good at. Give Withers the red light on dribble drives. On offense he needs to either camp in the corner waiting to catch and shoot open 3s, or run hard at the rim for rebounds and alley oops.
Exactly the consensus of those I talk to close to the program. There's no need to relegate him to the scrap-heap as some here would do.

Sorry, but that is just incredibly short-sighted.
What is short sighted? I didn't say the other guys shouldn't get any PT. I'm just saying they don't make major contributions. In big games where every possession counts they won't get many minutes. Anyone want to lose to Duke at home so Wojcik/High can get 10 minutes of playing time?

Seth I can understand; he looks like a different player this year. What gives you confidence in Withers?

Turnovers have been an issue his entire career. 3 turnovers per assist in his college career; that's basically an unplayable number for a wing. He's not a scorer or anything; complementary connecting players can't be complete black holes on offense who turn the ball over all the time. He isn't shooting anything this year, and he isn't some defensive force. He's a decent defender, but he's been stinky bad so far offensively. Just saying the truth.

What is short sighted? I didn't say the other guys shouldn't get any PT. I'm just saying they don't make major contributions. In big games where every possession counts they won't get many minutes. Anyone want to lose to Duke at home so Wojcik/High can get 10 minutes of playing time?
My point is it's not even xmas and I see posters relegating good players to the proverbial trash can. We are fortunate to have real depth and now is the time to develop it, which includes instiilling confidence within the team and of their teammates.

Lest we forget, Woj and Withers have both started for us. Not that I agreed with those moves when it had Cadeau on the bench, but they are both capable players and will likely end up helping us is a big game down the road.

It's not a matter of a set number of minutes for a given player --- it's matter of recognizing that the staff has indeed carved together a very capable roster that will get effectively deeper with use, as opposed to sitting on the bench until garbage time. Sure, as it gets closer to March, rotations tend to tighten as roles have been determined --- but I'd sure as hell rather have 10-11 guys to pick from for my top-8 than being stuck with 5 or 6.

My point is it's not even xmas and I see posters relegating good players to the proverbial trash can. We are fortunate to have real depth and now is the time to develop it, which includes instiilling confidence within the team and of their teammates.

Lest we forget, Woj and Withers have both started for us. Not that I agreed with those moves when it had Cadeau on the bench, but they are both capable players and will likely end up helping us is a big game down the road.

It's not a matter of a set number of minutes for a given player --- it's matter of recognizing that the staff has indeed carved together a very capable roster that will get effectively deeper with use, as opposed to sitting on the bench until garbage time. Sure, as it gets closer to March, rotations tend to tighten as roles have been determined --- but I'd sure as hell rather have 10-11 guys to pick from for my top-8 than being stuck with 5 or 6.
I don't think anyone is saying those players should never play. But I'll speak for myself. In a big game, I wouldn't trust Wojcik or High to contribute positively. That doesn't mean they wouldn't, I just wouldn't trust it in a game that means everything.

I don't look too much into Wojcik or Withers starting early in the season. We've had a few dudes start in past years that had no business starting and I don't think it helped our depth that much that season (Desmond Hubert, Joel James... Hell, Garrison Brooks his senior year).

But I'm in favor of Wojcik and High getting minutes now. Even though I wouldn't trust them in March, that isn't the question. It would help if they're confident/ready to play if there's a 9-1-1 situation like RJ and Ryan both picking up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes in a March game... Or an injury. To me, that would make them valuable enough pieces.

Also, I can argue that Withers play could earn him even fewer minutes the next game. Why is it that the bench players must play? Shouldn't the quality of their play help dictate the number of minutes they play? This was everyone's criticism that Hubert never benched Caleb last year. I could make a fair argument that Withers hasn't earned more PT.

Reactions: gauchoheel
You've been very pro-Withers. You've said you wanted him to start.
That was before the season started. I backed off after the season started. Obviously you're under no obligation to have read my several statements on that change of opinion, but if you are going to criticize, you might want to keep up.

That said, I still have hopes for Withers. For now, though, he probably shouldn't start unless one of our regular starters isn't available, or if Hubert wants to experiment.

We have a number of other guys in that "could start if necessary" status along with Withers - including Seth, Washington, Wojcik and maybe even High. Hopefully a couple of them will turn the corner soon.

This.

That was before the season started. I backed off after the season started. Obviously you're under no obligation to have read my several statements on that change of opinion, but if you are going to criticize, you might want to keep up.

i didn’t catch it. My mistake.

I disagree that he has a lot of talent. Or that he should get more playing time. I think he just needs to focus on being solid in the PT he’s getting.

He is an x factor for this team though. It would really help us if he becomes a fringe starter caliber player.

Yes I agree with that sentiment. I am happy that we're playing deeper bench minutes this year; I strongly hope it continues. I very much would love for all the guys to look great. Personally, I just don't expect a lot from the guys outside of 6-7 based on the information I have (this years games + prior history mostly).

i brought the Caleb Love thing up to absolute crickets. He’s averaging 28 minutes for the season. But against teams Arizona didn’t beat by 25+, he played 33 and 37 minutes.

And this is common. Kansas and Connecticut combined. UConn played 8 total guys and 30 total minutes from the bench. Kansas played 7 guys, 18 total bench minutes and won.

Kansas played 8 guys against Kentucky and 26 total bench minutes.

And then of course Ingram and Davis played a lot vs Florida State. We were at risk of losing!

This is a non-deal to me. And I can argue that Withers has shown he should play less, not more minutes.
Seems to me that Caleb is just being the same dude. He has shot 42 and made 12 for 28%. Streaky good but a coaching nightmare. Reminds me of coaching 6th grade when the kid that barely plays throws shots up cuz his dad told him..."if you touch the ball...shoot it!" ....and you are like NOOOO....and it banks in. Except that Caleb plays the most minutes for them.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Agree

Caleb is gonna get his points because he is a high volume shooter. The problem is, you likely would have had more points if you took better percentage shots. His usually bails out his awful field goal % with his free throws to make up for it.

It is hard to understand, how we have posters that are now calling for our rotations to be limited AFTER watching this team for the last 2 seasons? Posters calling for us to run strong tempo running game, wanting full court presses but want our rotations to cut? That is basically saying you want UNC to win games but not do the things needed for them to win games? Sure by all means let's trash guys like Withers, Paxon, and Jalen, by no means should we have anything that resembles patience, we demand perfection and we demand it now? Jeez how spoiled has this fan base become?

Caleb is gonna get his points because he is a high volume shooter. The problem is, you likely would have had more points if you took better percentage shots. His usually bails out his awful field goal % with his free throws to make up for it.
It is really simple, the teams that win consistently do so by taking good shots and trying to force the other team to take mostly hard shots. We are taking BY FAR, SINCE HUBERT HAS TAKEN OVER, THE BEST HIGH QUALITY SHOTS I HAVE SEEN from his teams. It really is not close when you recall how hard this team had to work the last couple seasons to get anything that neared a decent shot.

Hate to say it but I think we drop this game to UConn tonight, they are just really good at things that exploit our weaknesses. But if we do win it will come from our shooters hitting the good shots they get, not panicking and taking those bad shots from the last couple seasons. Ryan and Ingram are going to have to shoot it well tonight along with RJ. Cadeau and Bacot are going to have to stay away from foul trouble, Seth is going to have to play his upper level defense and chip in with some timely scoring, and we are going to need contributions from the trio of Jalen, Withers, and Paxon (and maybe even High).

I think the smart path is for us to really press tempo, get out and run and sub in freely so we can continue to run the pace. Their big man is 7'2" and weights in at 285lbs, run him till his tongue hangs out and then run him some more! Switch in to the diamond at times, go to the half court traps at times, run them until they break mentally, that happens when they tire physically.

SDung will find a way to reduce our capability at every turn! He will also try to convince us that we don't have depth when it is obvious we are one of the deepest teams in the country! I love how silly projected stats can be and how easily one can manipulate ones like "usage" and "per 40 minutes". They are virtually meaningless in a game that can turn so quickly based on fouls, coaches decisions, player interactions, refs, and luck! I also wanted Withers to start before the season started and I argued about it constantly. I changed my mind about this because Ingram surprised me with how big he can play + how much his playmaking helps the team, BUT I didn't change due to any issue with Withers! Withers looked a little lost lately, but he is valuable to the team and can be used at 4 or 5 when needed. Coaches have recognized the value of our excellent depth and hopefully keep using them all season! I fully expect High, Withers, and Pax to contribute to winning in spots and to be ready if an emergency happens!

SDung will find a way to reduce our capability at every turn! He will also try to convince us that we don't have depth when it is obvious we are one of the deepest teams in the country! I love how silly projected stats can be and how easily one can manipulate ones like "usage" and "per 40 minutes". They are virtually meaningless in a game that can turn so quickly based on fouls, coaches decisions, player interactions, refs, and luck! I also wanted Withers to start before the season started and I argued about it constantly. I changed my mind about this because Ingram surprised me with how big he can play + how much his playmaking helps the team, BUT I didn't change due to any issue with Withers! Withers looked a little lost lately, but he is valuable to the team and can be used at 4 or 5 when needed. Coaches have recognized the value of our excellent depth and hopefully keep using them all season! I fully expect High, Withers, and Pax to contribute to winning in spots and to be ready if an emergency happens!
Yes but TP, we as well agreed that we wanted Ingram at the 3 more than at the 4, I still do! More opens up for Ingram at the 3, he is typically able to back down a smaller opponents but he is as well more able to pop out for his jumper and it not be as challenged. At the 4 he has to deal with more guys bigger than he is, he has the size on 3s but he is not long by most 4s measure.

And frankly, at least for now, Ryan is not shooting great from the 3 nor defending from the 3 real well when he is trying to defend the driver. I really feel we need to get more production from the 4 spot from someone other than Ingram and I think our best shot at that is between Jalen and Withers.

Yes, I definitely wanted Ingram at 3, Withers or now JWash at 4 and Ryan 1st off the bench. I am not sold on JWash being able to be a productive 4 and a capable backup 5 right now but I don't know quite what to make of JWit's stumble. I want EC to stay a starter so we will have to see who steps up between the 3! (JWit, JWash, or Ryan)-4 starters locked = Ingram, EC, RJ, Bacot IMO!

Last edited:
Well, I did place a bet for UNC to win the National Championship so sure... I'm reducing our capability by betting that we will be the last team standing. lol, ok then! I guess I'll just put my money where my mouth is on that one.

And also, I never said Withers wouldn't be valuable to our team. He's extremely valuable. If he plays well, we're a significantly better team than if he continues to struggle. I fully understand how important he can be to this team.

And your last sentence:
I fully expect High, Withers, and Pax to contribute to winning spots and to be ready if an emergency happens!

That's EXACTLY what I said about Wojcik and High on an earlier post:
It would help if they're confident/ready to play if there's a 9-1-1 situation like RJ and Ryan both picking up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes in a March game... Or an injury. To me, that would make them valuable enough pieces.

My overarching argument is I see a team that has 8 reliable players in the rotation, assuming Withers figures out his role for this team. I personally don't see Wojcik or High as significant contributors in meaningful games. But they need to play now so hopefully they can be ready if their number needs to be called when every game means everything.

And saying we're 8 reliable deep isn't an insult. Unless you think like the previous 5 of 6 National Champions had insultingly little depth.

I think the smart path is for us to really press tempo, get out and run and sub in freely so we can continue to run the pace.
I agree, but that's going to be tough against one of the lowest-tempo teams around.

A quick check shows only Nova plays at a slower tempo than UConn among the foes we've faced (and Radford, but that hardly matters).

Meanwhile, only Tennessee ranks better on D than UConn so far. And their D gave us fits in the 2nd half. Which means that Hurley has films showing what to do.

I am guardedly optimistic about tonight's game, but I think there's a better chance of us struggling badly than blowing them out. We might win a close game, though, if we don't get into a hole.

Looking at UConn's numbers, they have a starter, Bell, whose TS% is a dismal 40.3. Nor is he an assist guy. I'm guessing he's their lock-down backcourt defender. If so, does he cover the passer or the scorer in our backcourt?

On the flip side, UConn has several good scorers. Other than Bell, all starters have TS% numbers over 60. We have a number of players at that level, too, but only 1 starts: Armando.

We really need to come to play tonight. All 40 minutes.

I agree, but that's going to be tough against one of the lowest-tempo teams around.

A quick check shows only Nova plays at a slower tempo than UConn among the foes we've faced (and Radford, but that hardly matters).

Meanwhile, only Tennessee ranks better on D than UConn so far. And their D gave us fits in the 2nd half. Which means that Hurley has films showing what to do.

I am guardedly optimistic about tonight's game, but I think there's a better chance of us struggling badly than blowing them out. We might win a close game, though, if we don't get into a hole.

Looking at UConn's numbers, they have a starter, Bell, whose TS% is a dismal 40.3. Nor is he an assist guy. I'm guessing he's their lock-down backcourt defender. If so, does he cover the passer or the scorer in our backcourt?

On the flip side, UConn has several good scorers. Other than Bell, all starters have TS% numbers over 60. We have a number of players at that level, too, but only 1 starts: Armando.

We really need to come to play tonight. All 40 minutes.
That is the very reason why we need to getting the tempo hot and keep stoking it, they don't like it! Getting them out of doing what they want to do at the pace they are comfortable doing it, dictate the pace rather than allow them to set it.

UConn wants to play about 7 deep so they slow the pace to get their breathers on court, exactly for the same reason the last 2yrs we went with a very short bench and we lived in the half court on both ends. But even more, we have a small starting back court with Cadeau and RJ, we make ourselves even smaller by starting Ryan at the 3 and Ingram at the 4, going that small not only do we really need to run our breaks but it allows us to cover a lot of those size mismatches. Press the team that wants a slower tempo, the press speeds up guys mentally, that is a problem for a team that mentally wants things slowed down. You saw that against Tenn, when we sped them up they crumbled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT