ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (OK game)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If this is purely about playing the bench for as many minutes as possible, I don't understand what's the difference between Caleb Love playing too much last year (according to some) and Withers playing more despite not playing well." Well it has a lot to do with the fact that Withers gets around 5mins a game and Caleb was playing 38mins a game.
Exactly. Withers could be the piece we need. Or might not be. He clearly isn't yet but we need to give him a solid chance to be that guy. Which means more PT than he's currently getting.

He has the size we need, a strong motor, quickness, and he shot well from deep last year. With those attributes, you make time for him. Pull the plug on him later if warranted, but use him now to see if he can get where we need him to be.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The problem is he preached that EC was the savior of the program and was going to take this staff and team to the next level and it's just not happening, I'm not sure anyone reasonably expected him to just plug and play and all would be right.

I wonder often what would we look like if Roy was still coaching!

RJ is our best player and I don't see that changing, if he didnt do what he does we would st

I didn't ask you to stop posting, nor to cover everybody. It's a public forum, so idk why you'd bother to post unless you want debate.

You've had this intense focus on highlighting the positive aspects of Cadeau's play. I've nothing against the guy, but he's probably been the 4th best Heel so far this year. Not really all that big an upgrade over sophomore Trimble so far (albeit they bring different skills). Meanwhile, you have seemingly nothing positive to say about RJ or Ingram, probably our two best guys so far. Not just in this recap but in any of your recaps. RJ is doing some incredible things the last 5-6 games. Very odd.
OK. You won't have to worry about it anymore.
AMF.

Hey Gary, if you don’t want to do these write ups anymore that is absolutely your prerogative but I hope you aren’t going to do it because of some backlash comments. Personally, I have always looked forward to them and I have always appreciated your candor and expertise.
Gary, l totally agree with 5150. Your write-ups provide valuable insight into the mechanics of our team, especially
for peeps like me that enjoy the sport but never played on a ⛹🏾‍♂️ team.
Some people just have to be critical of others and haven’t learned how to enter into discourse with an open mind.
l might not agree with everything peeps write, but l try not to directly attack them behind the
anonymous facade of a message board, for crying out loud.
For the sake of peeps that enjoy your insight keep it up, por favor.
When l read some of the direct criticism that some throw your way, l imagine you in your
best Moe voice: l’ll bat your ears down!

Dude. This wasn't about individual praise or not. It was about a quick team analysis and a few notes Sorry if I don't cover everybody to suit you in a late night post. I don't get paid for this sh**.

And BTW, I know what I see and I know wtf I'm talking about, but hey, if you'd like me to stop doing these, I have a lot on my plate these days, so trust me,,I'll be MORE than happy to oblige.

AMF.
Hey Gary, if you don’t want to do these write ups anymore that is absolutely your prerogative but I hope you aren’t going to do it because of some backlash comments. Personally, I have always looked forward to them and I have always appreciated your candor and expertise.
I agree. I never post on any boards but always lurk. Gary, if you quit, your posts will be definitely be missed as I have enjoyed them for years.

Idk about Withers man... Everyone criticized Hubert for playing Caleb Love and not benching him after negative plays. I'm genuinely curious what Withers has done to earn more playing time.

If this is purely about playing the bench for as many minutes as possible, I don't understand what's the difference between Caleb Love playing too much last year (according to some) and Withers playing more despite not playing well.

People aren't going to want to hear this, but I think RJ has earned the right to play all 40 minutes. I wouldn't do that myself, but he's earned the right to stay on the court. I don't think Withers has earned more PT. I'd be ok with him playing less.

It's a weird thing for me to hear people wanting more minutes for him even though his play is negatively hurting UNC just like Caleb's play last year.
Withers is a liability offensively unless he's playing in the paint. Anywhere outside of that he's a bad shot or turnover waiting to happen. Who gave him the greenlight to shoot from the 3? I can "live with" Withers coming in for defensive purposes but for every good defensive play have makes he does a couple of head scratching defensive plays that really hurt the team. I have always said Washington should get most of the minutes Withers is getting. I would love to see him in a stretch 4 role next to Bacot.

Dude. This wasn't about individual praise or not. It was about a quick team analysis and a few notes Sorry if I don't cover everybody to suit you in a late night post. I don't get paid for this sh**.

And BTW, I know what I see and I know wtf I'm talking about, but hey, if you'd like me to stop doing these, I have a lot on my plate these days, so trust me,,I'll be MORE than happy to oblige.

AMF.
Stop Crying Workin Moms GIF by CBC

Exactly right. Please continue. Even if I don't always agree with every single comment, I always find your views helpful, and I look forward to them.

Exactly. Withers could be the piece we need. Or might not be. He clearly isn't yet but we need to give him a solid chance to be that guy. Which means more PT than he's currently getting.

He has the size we need, a strong motor, quickness, and he shot well from deep last year. With those attributes, you make time for him. Pull the plug on him later if warranted, but use him now to see if he can get where we need him to be.
Let's not make it out like Withers is routinely playing 5 minutes/game. He's had 6 games where he's played 15+ minutes and just 3 games playing fewer than 10 minutes. And game flow probably dictated 2 of those 3 games. We were down big against Florida State so it's natural you're going to play your best players more to come back. We were chasing the game against UConn so again, natural to ride your best players to come back. Then he got benched for fouling a 3PT shooter twice, which IMO, is an acceptable coaching decision. So he's had numerous games where he's had ample opportunity to show what he can do.

And I brought this up during the offseason when he first committed. I don't know what kind of shooter Withers is. Two years ago he shot 23% from 3 on about 60 attempts. Last year he shot 42% on about 90 attempts. So is he the 42% shooter he was last year? Or the 23% the year before? Or somewhere in between? Pete Nance has a similar pattern at Northwestern. He was a terrible 3PT shooter as a sophomore, he was a good 3PT shooter as a junior, and he was an awesome 3PT shooter as a senior. With us, he was somewhere in between his terrible and good 3PT shooting seasons. With us, he's a 0 shooter so far.

I don't think he's earned more minutes. I don't think he'll play 5 minutes the rest of the season so bringing that up is a bit unfair to the whole minutes obsession that everyone loves. He probably got benched because he committed a pair of moronic fouls that you cannot do as a senior. If he goes back to playing 12-20 minutes consistently, I think that's beyond what he's earned to play because he hasn't been good.

I don't understand what he's done to earn more playing time. You can make an argument for Washington to play more because at least he's done a few things well. If the argument to play Withers more is purely to play your bench more minutes, I disagree with it.

You want Withers to play more. Stop fouling jump shooters and stop turning the ball over. Too much to ask? Or should he play regardless of that so he can work those things out? Whatever the hell that means.

Late to the conversation.

Thanks for the write up Gary.

Gaoucho: WTF?

Gary bashes: get over it.

Simple fact: in the last couple of years the amount of legitimate original contribution on this board has fallen dramatically. Gary is one of the few contributors left willing to give his opinions and honest takes post game.
Disagree all you like, but does it have to be so childish and petty?
Or, start your own threads (and maybe be more original than just doing a Gary parody thread). Contribute to the board, generate discussions, make Radar better…. Lord knows the site owner doesn’t understand this.

Late to the conversation.

Thanks for the write up Gary.

Gaoucho: WTF?

Gary bashes: get over it.

Simple fact: in the last couple of years the amount of legitimate original contribution on this board has fallen dramatically. Gary is one of the few contributors left willing to give his opinions and honest takes post game.
Disagree all you like, but does it have to be so childish and petty?
Or, start your own threads (and maybe be more original than just doing a Gary parody thread). Contribute to the board, generate discussions, make Radar better…. Lord knows the site owner doesn’t understand this.
Gaucho comments were NOT over the top. Whether it is intentional or not, Gary does take some liberties with listing some hand picked EC attributes while glossing over some of his liabilities.
Heck, I was wondering if EC even played in the UK game that played on Gary's satellite provider. It was EC worst game of the year and he didn't even get a mention in the late stuff.
I enjoy the posts and hope @gary-7 continues them, but let's be somewhat real about the content being narrative driven at times.

Last edited:
Not really sure why after 11 games there is still conversation about Washington getting more min " at the 4" when he hasn't gotten one solitary min at the 4 all year.
How bout playing Cadeau at the 5?
We are like 50-55 practices and 11 games deep into the season, and JWash has not sniffed the 4 spot. Do we need to broach this subject in every thread on the board?
THANK YOU, that is my gosh darn point, he isn't getting PT at the 4 and I feel like he should. Look, if Withers was playing well, no problem, other than I would want him to start at the 4, as I said so many times pre-season with Ingram at the 3. Problem is that so far Withers has been disappointing, I wish that were not true but it is. Even if you keep Ingram at the 4 we have to have a back up for him that can produce something positive. I like High's motor, I like that he gets on the boards but he is raw and for now he is just limited, it is almost like putting Konkwo out there just for motor.

Look, I don't think I have seen this discussed from this particular angle, I have alluded to it but not really gone in to much depth about it. We all should know by now that defensively player wise we have 2 problems. First, we have 2 small back court starters with 1 of them being a freshman and we have no true rim protector that plays over the rim. You have to understand that their lacking these 2 elements that great defenses usually have, it forces everyone to play at a much higher level, using big time effort. That is just hard for any team to do the majority of a 40mins game and it is near impossible if you don't use your bench extra deep.

You see it and it isn't hard to see, we will defend in the half court, we will play solid defense, switching and all for about 30sec of the shot clock but then it breaks down, much harder to defend for 30sec than it is to play offense for that same 30sec. So they turn the corner on us and we don't have that guy that alters every shot in the paint, that is a known shot blocker that alters how teams can attack in the paint, that shot blocker that not only gets up off his feet quick but gets off his feet for a second leap quickly as well. So everyone has to work harder due to that, we don't have that guy that covers up those mistakes. I do believe that Bacot and Jalen in together and Ingram at the 5 is about as long as we can get but I do think that can cover up a lot of those back court mistakes that are just going to happen. Now system wise we do need to stop switching our big men on to guards out in space and our guards on to big men in the paint, fine to switch between the 4 and 5 and maybe add the 3 in with Ingram but the guards need to switch 1-3 if they are forced to. We should never be switching at all unless a guy is beat and has to switch.

Much of this season we have been switching 1-5 but our centers in Bacot and Jalen have gone in to drop coverage pretty frequently but that leaves someone wide open. When our center catches that he will try to leave the drop and get to the open guy, especially if it is a known shooter, so he flies out at him and that open guy is going to either shoot before our center gets to him or will drive the pressure coming at him, total advantage offensive player. Now you tell me, considering that BOTH Bacot and Jalen are playing a lot of drop while everyone else is switching is that because they just decide to or is it because they are told to? You know they are doing that because they are told to do so. Bacot has a bit of an advantage because he has that great bulk, he is harder to drive past than Jalen because Jalen is all arms & legs. Teams have been working our switches until they get the matchups they want and then directly attacking that matchup.

To the Gary stuff. Hey there are a couple guys who like to go after disagreeing thoughts as dumb, then say that they like to discuss, but not argue. Problem is when some disagrees with their take, as they do with others, then they get sensitive. Why are you trying to "argue"?

I like the give and take, but if you are going to bark, and say what is wrong about others takes, don't whine about it when they question yours.

I too don't want him to stop but it feels like he has an agenda.
Gary has his beliefs, as we all do, and he does push his wheelbarrow hard, and I guess that triggers some people.
I agree, Gaucho didn’t quite go over the top but there are more polite ways to debate a topic.
Just saying, this board feels like it’s on its last legs and I for one would hate to see my main attachment to UNC Hoops die off.

I see we are at the point of the season where if someone disagrees with Gary, it is bashing him. Then a defense force comes in to defend Gary against there supposed bashers after Gary gets mad at being disagreed with and threatens to stop doing write ups.

Literally every season this happens.

Gary isn't gonna stop doing write ups.
Disagreeing with them isn't bashing someone.

Maybe we can save the 200 posts of this back and forth complaining about posters now.

THANK YOU, that is my gosh darn point, he isn't getting PT at the 4 and I feel like he should. Look, if Withers was playing well, no problem, other than I would want him to start at the 4, as I said so many times pre-season with Ingram at the 3. Problem is that so far Withers has been disappointing, I wish that were not true but it is. Even if you keep Ingram at the 4 we have to have a back up for him that can produce something positive. I like High's motor, I like that he gets on the boards but he is raw and for now he is just limited, it is almost like putting Konkwo out there just for motor.

Look, I don't think I have seen this discussed from this particular angle, I have alluded to it but not really gone in to much depth about it. We all should know by now that defensively player wise we have 2 problems. First, we have 2 small back court starters with 1 of them being a freshman and we have no true rim protector that plays over the rim. You have to understand that their lacking these 2 elements that great defenses usually have, it forces everyone to play at a much higher level, using big time effort. That is just hard for any team to do the majority of a 40mins game and it is near impossible if you don't use your bench extra deep.

You see it and it isn't hard to see, we will defend in the half court, we will play solid defense, switching and all for about 30sec of the shot clock but then it breaks down, much harder to defend for 30sec than it is to play offense for that same 30sec. So they turn the corner on us and we don't have that guy that alters every shot in the paint, that is a known shot blocker that alters how teams can attack in the paint, that shot blocker that not only gets up off his feet quick but gets off his feet for a second leap quickly as well. So everyone has to work harder due to that, we don't have that guy that covers up those mistakes. I do believe that Bacot and Jalen in together and Ingram at the 5 is about as long as we can get but I do think that can cover up a lot of those back court mistakes that are just going to happen. Now system wise we do need to stop switching our big men on to guards out in space and our guards on to big men in the paint, fine to switch between the 4 and 5 and maybe add the 3 in with Ingram but the guards need to switch 1-3 if they are forced to. We should never be switching at all unless a guy is beat and has to switch.

Much of this season we have been switching 1-5 but our centers in Bacot and Jalen have gone in to drop coverage pretty frequently but that leaves someone wide open. When our center catches that he will try to leave the drop and get to the open guy, especially if it is a known shooter, so he flies out at him and that open guy is going to either shoot before our center gets to him or will drive the pressure coming at him, total advantage offensive player. Now you tell me, considering that BOTH Bacot and Jalen are playing a lot of drop while everyone else is switching is that because they just decide to or is it because they are told to? You know they are doing that because they are told to do so. Bacot has a bit of an advantage because he has that great bulk, he is harder to drive past than Jalen because Jalen is all arms & legs. Teams have been working our switches until they get the matchups they want and then directly attacking that matchup.
Not sure how exactly,

Lots of good thoughtful observations here David, but I don't think you fully grasped my comment. I was specifically thinking of you debating JWash onto the floor as a 4, while the Entire basketball staff and a very large percentage of Tar Heel fans don't think that plan has a snowflakes chance in Hell of working.
Just being honest, I don't think Jalen will ever play the 4 as a Tar Heel.

3. Withers is not with us mentally right now but that 2nd 3-point foul call was B.S when Oklahoma guard clearly did the 'ol dook leg kick and the anti-UNC criminal Lee Cassell made the call.
I noticed and TBH was undecided on whether a foul should have been called, but the fact is that a defender shouldn't put himself in position for that call to be made...especially after having already gotten it called once before.

RJ is currently 3rd on Pomeroy's ACC-POY list. Well deserved!

Kyle Filipowski
PJ Hall
RJ Davis
Armando Bacot
Judah Mintz
I referred to Filipowski as a monster last year, and I haven't really changed my tune on that. But I don't see how RJ isn't ahead of him on any ACC POY consideration.

I referred to Filipowski as a monster last year, and I haven't really changed my tune on that. But I don't see how RJ isn't ahead of him on any ACC POY consideration.
Well when you consider things besides scoring, Flip could be ahead. Hard to say really, but RJ definitely is overrated if you were to only look at PPG and FG%.

Well when you consider things besides scoring, Flip could be ahead. Hard to say really, but RJ definitely is overrated if you were to only look at PPG and FG%.
this is ridiculous. Besides, his assists and rebounds are about the same as the dookie.

Not sure how exactly,

Lots of good thoughtful observations here David, but I don't think you fully grasped my comment. I was specifically thinking of you debating JWash onto the floor as a 4, while the Entire basketball staff and a very large percentage of Tar Heel fans don't think that plan has a snowflakes chance in Hell of working.
Just being honest, I don't think Jalen will ever play the 4 as a Tar Heel.
Hey, I get it, very clearly the coaching staff does not seem to agree with my position as well as what seems to be the large majority of posters here, not the first time I have swam against the tide! LOL I am sharing a thing that I honestly feel has a good chance of making us better as a team.

My major point is that how can anyone know if Jalen can play the 4 if he is not given the chance to play the 4? The switch 4 and drop 1 defense has been figured out and from what I see much of what is attributed to Jalen as poor defense is the scheme at least as much as his being a poor defender, maybe more. I do think it should be something we test out, even if it is just a different rotation within the game. But so far Jalen is getting no shot at playing the 4, I think that is a mistake and I do think we are stronger with Ingram at the 3. But for Ingram to move to the 3 someone has to produce from the 4 and Withers just has not been doing that, High just is not ready, kinda leaves us with Jalen.

And hey, maybe Jalen at the 4 will not work but how can we know if we don't try it? Not like we have not seen some crazy starting line ups, Paxson started this season at the 3 for us, I don't think trying Jalen at the 4 is even close to being that crazy! LOL

Instead? No. In addition? The more the merrier.
I am not going to get much in to this current argument with gary, I would rather argue how I want Jalen to play the 4 some! LOL But there are a couple things I want to offer to that "discussion".

First, maybe foremost, I think posting about this stuff, the post game thoughts ect should be more a labor of love than a burden to carry. I am not really in to the "gonna take my ball and go home if you don't let me play" thing. I am more in to the if you disagree with what I say then let's honestly discuss it rather than this I am right and you are wrong stuff. I disagree with everyone at times.

Second, this is gary we are talking about, gary does have his warts but he has had them ever since I first saw him posting years ago. Gary is not going to change, you are wasting your time trying to argue with him and trying to do so is going to do nothing but piss you off so what is the point? He does bring some interesting points that offer valid discussion. I as well look forward to gary's recap of games for the discussion it brings, even if it is rarely gary now days engaging in that discussion.

Yes, gary does have his favorite players and to him it does seem to often that his favorites can do no wrong, how dare you even as much suggest that Joel Berry was not the greatest PG ever at UNC? LOL (please note the LOL)! Hey, if you either can not agree with gary or can not tolerate reading his views then just don't read them, block him, block anyone you disagree with so that the only folks you can read are those that do not upset you?

First, maybe foremost, I think posting about this stuff, the post game thoughts ect should be more a labor of love than a burden to carry. I am not really in to the "gonna take my ball and go home if you don't let me play" thing. I am more in to the if you disagree with what I say then let's honestly discuss it rather than this I am right and you are wrong stuff. I disagree with everyone at times.

Good on you, man! Not being a crybaby is still an admirable quality regardless of contrary opinion.

Second, this is gary we are talking about, gary does have his warts but he has had them ever since I first saw him posting years ago. Gary is not going to change, you are wasting your time trying to argue with him and trying to do so is going to do nothing but piss you off so what is the point? He does bring some interesting points that offer valid discussion. I as well look forward to gary's recap of games for the discussion it brings, even if it is rarely gary now days engaging in that discussion.

I think a fairer statement to make is @gauchoheel, @ChiShankCity851, and others aren't going to change either. I don't move for bullies, they ask me nicely or they get to find a new way around or take their ball and go home.

Yes, gary does have his favorite players and to him it does seem to often that his favorites can do no wrong, how dare you even as much suggest that Joel Berry was not the greatest PG ever at UNC? LOL (please note the LOL)! Hey, if you either can not agree with gary or can not tolerate reading his views then just don't read them, block him, block anyone you disagree with so that the only folks you can read are those that do not upset you?

I see what you are trying to do, but you come off like you are trying to defend @gary-7 rather than trying to dispense good advice. How about we say hey @gary-7, try ignoring posts you don't agree with? Or better yet, don't be such a baby when people challenge your opinions?

For the record though, I don't give a crap about his posts other than to see him react poorly and turn most of his own threads into fights. It's good entertainment and I'm here for it.

I see we are at the point of the season where if someone disagrees with Gary, it is bashing him. Then a defense force comes in to defend Gary against there supposed bashers after Gary gets mad at being disagreed with and threatens to stop doing write ups.

Literally every season this happens.

Gary isn't gonna stop doing write ups.
Disagreeing with them isn't bashing someone.

Maybe we can save the 200 posts of this back and forth complaining about posters now.

LOL beat me to it. shocked it took this long for Gary to threaten to leave the post game stuff behind. like 5 seasons straight if you disagree with him. i do appreciate Gary’s write ups. agree with some observations, not all but that’s what makes the board great. keep it respectful and be objective. i know that’s easier said than done at times.

Wait, what? Did you say that backwards? Explain please.

this is ridiculous. Besides, his assists and rebounds are about the same as the dookie.
No, I didn't say it backwards. RJ is a very small scorer who isn't super well rounded. He can't defend, he's not a good rebounder (speaking across positions here; he's a very good rebounder for his size), and he's not a great passer. So if you only look at points/shooting you will overrate him, because those stats focus on what he does do well.

RJ: 25 points per 40 minutes on 59% true shooting, 1.75 assists per turnover, 4.2 rebounds per 40, 1.2 steals +blocks per 40

Flip: 24 points per 40 minutes on 57% true shooting, 1.7 assists per turnover, 12.6 rebounds per 40, 4.1 steals + blocks per 40

RJ has been a little better offensively this year. However, as you'd expect, a 7 footer provides much, much more rebounding and defensive value than RJ.

Overall, I'd take Flip personally. Obviously I'd be thrilled to have either player, but RJ is in a more limited mold due to his size so really has to destroy everyone offensively to be the best player in the conference.

No, I didn't say it backwards. RJ is a very small scorer who isn't super well rounded. He can't defend, he's not a good rebounder (speaking across positions here; he's a very good rebounder for his size), and he's not a great passer. So if you only look at points/shooting you will overrate him, because those stats focus on what he does do well.

RJ: 25 points per 40 minutes on 59% true shooting, 1.75 assists per turnover, 4.2 rebounds per 40, 1.2 steals +blocks per 40

Flip: 24 points per 40 minutes on 57% true shooting, 1.7 assists per turnover, 12.6 rebounds per 40, 4.1 steals + blocks per 40

RJ has been a little better offensively this year. However, as you'd expect, a 7 footer provides much, much more rebounding and defensive value than RJ.

Overall, I'd take Flip personally. Obviously I'd be thrilled to have either player, but RJ is in a more limited mold due to his size so really has to destroy everyone offensively to be the best player in the conference.
not sure where you're getting your stats, but I have Filipowski at 17.9 PPG. RJ is averaging over 20. He's getting more rebounds than RJ, but his assists are the same. To me what makes RJ a better candidate for POY is 1) his importance to the win column and 2) his ability to score from anywhere on the floor as opposed to mostly cleaning up around the hoop. In other words, RJ does have limitations (as do all players) but he has performed at a very high level in spite of those limitations.

I don't really need to hear about what you think are his deficiencies. As I mentioned, I recognize Filipowski's abilities and stature...but I would take RJ over him. Reason being, Filipowski can be neutralized. I don't think RJ can be.

Seriously? There's only 1 obvious crybaby on the political scene.

I like the way you squeezed in a personal attack. I didn't think you were that kind of guy.
Are you serious? Why would any of this be political? My personal attack was aptly directed. Anyone who tries this hard to turn this political is confused.

Reactions: bluetoe
Are you serious? Why would any of this be political? My personal attack was aptly directed. Anyone who tries this hard to turn this political is confused.
what got me was that he initially only referred to a thought that he wouldn't make into a comment. If you wouldn't make the comment, why even mention it? It was like, I'm not going to interject politics directly into a thread not about politics, so I'll just insinuate politics into it.

To paraphrase him, you can imagine how hard it is to not say what I think about that disingenuous, sneaky kind of approach. Oops, guess I said it anyway.

• Haha

lol. He’s been one of our best rebounding guards.

You're the one who's hitting the throttle on that. If you can't take a very mild joke without attacking a fellow poster, something is wrong with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT