ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (VaTech game)...

The above statement is completely reasonable and for you this is noteworthy! Have you changed your opinion from a few posts ago? (also this might be the first time you actually complimented Hubs) Address what you meant when you implied that "Forcing misses and getting rebounds in live play is a bad thing" and we wait/hope peeps miss 3s! BTW: Where did I say our D was so flexible? I said it "fluctuates" based on our intensity and it is getting better. It is not what I think, it is what I see! I also said we are playing intense D and that both EC and RJ are world's better on the ball than previously. Individual play and scheme are getting better by the game but I also said there is nothing our guards can do to get taller. Any team that allows peeps to shoot 3s and hopes they miss has terrible D! That is the only implication one can get from your statements, especially since you were responding to posts that were positive about our D.
Compliments from you reduce any credibility message board posters may have.

My implication was I wanted to force teams to take more 2s against UNC. You mentioned Bacot's improved shot blocking so that's why I said you think UNC's defense is more flexible than I do. I don't think you can depend on Bacot to be a rim protector. You can define that how you want to. I don't really care. Most level-headed people know what I'm talking about.

The rest is kind of subjective stuff. I simply disagree that the difference between this team being good or bad defensively is an increase in intensity.

I also think I've been pretty fair on Hubert, borderline too overly positive. Last year I said I couldn't grade him as a coach until he's no longer coaching Caleb Love. This year, I've said I think he's overachieved with his record in relation to the team's talent. I've also credited him several times for making a Final Four run with no NBA talent (which I'll amend to no NBA-drafted talent now). That's something that Roy never came close to.

I actually think I've been one of the most complimentary on this board to Hubert. I've never made a declaration whether he's a good or bad head coach. I think it's too early for that. But to say I've never been complimentary towards Hubert is false.

Right now, UNC is one of 8:
Creighton, UConn, Tennessee, UNC, Duke, Houston, Purdue, Arizona

Also, I think our defense fluctuates because it isn't the most talented defensive group physically. Small backcourt, and average athletes with Ingram and Bacot. But Hubert's gotten a lot out of this group defensively. But I don't think it's a matter of intensity or something like that. This team has some limitations.
While true, this UNC team does not have that classic rim protector shot blocker, to suggest Bacot and Ingram, who are 1 & 2 in the ACC rebounding, are AVERAGE ATHLETES is mind numbing. It is absolutely without question a situation relying on effort and intensity, need only look at the difference in intensity between the duke and Clemson games to see that.

Effort is driven by intensity, common sense dictates that the lower the intensity level the less effort you see. Our effort does fluctuate because the intensity fluctuates and defense follows suit. But ya know what, we don't even have this discussion if our touted shooters shot the ball as effectively as they have been touted. This team simply misses way to many easy shots, much easier shots than they give up even in a lower intensity game.

In the pre-season Hubert talked about his 3 "green light" shooters in RJ, Ryan, and Paxon yet who has been a consistent outside shooting threat for us, it has been RJ and Ingram that have either met or exceeded the shooting expectation, Ryan has been wildly inconsistent and Paxon for the most part has been MIA. Keep in mind, very important to consider, we are not talking about Caleb Love level shots, we are talking about wide open time to tie your shoes before you shoot jumpers that everyone but RJ is missing.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Compliments from you reduce any credibility message board posters may have.

My implication was I wanted to force teams to take more 2s against UNC. You mentioned Bacot's improved shot blocking so that's why I said you think UNC's defense is more flexible than I do. I don't think you can depend on Bacot to be a rim protector. You can define that how you want to. I don't really care. Most level-headed people know what I'm talking about.

The rest is kind of subjective stuff. I simply disagree that the difference between this team being good or bad defensively is an increase in intensity.

I also think I've been pretty fair on Hubert, borderline too overly positive. Last year I said I couldn't grade him as a coach until he's no longer coaching Caleb Love. This year, I've said I think he's overachieved with his record in relation to the team's talent. I've also credited him several times for making a Final Four run with no NBA talent (which I'll amend to no NBA-drafted talent now). That's something that Roy never came close to.

I actually think I've been one of the most complimentary on this board to Hubert. I've never made a declaration whether he's a good or bad head coach. I think it's too early for that. But to say I've never been complimentary towards Hubert is false.
Per AJ, UNC opponents are shooting 28.6% from 3 but in your words:
My implication was I wanted to force teams to take more 2s against UNC.
Maybe you should not be talking about someone else's credibility when you say something like that...

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Per AJ, UNC opponents are shooting 28.6% from 3 but in your words:

Maybe you should not be talking about someone else's credibility when you say something like that...
Dav when was the AJ quote said? Very important info imo. I’d image it was very low before the winning streak and rose up during the last five to six games.

Dav when was the AJ quote said? Very important info imo. I’d image it was very low before the winning streak and rose up during the last five to six games.
Opponent's percentages

The first 12 games of the season:
Overall FG%: 41.9%
3PT%: 33.2% (8.3/24.8 per game)

Games 13-19 (at Pitt to Wake)
Overall FG%: 35.4%
3PT%: 18.4% (3.7/20.1 per game)

Games 20-26 (at Florida State to present)
Overall FG%: 45.4%
3PT%: 35.3% (7.9/22.3 per game)

For context, the 26.8% would lead the country in 3PT percentage defense.
33.2% ranks 138th.
35.3% ranks 270th.

Opponent's percentages

The first 12 games of the season:
Overall FG%: 41.9%
3PT%: 33.2% (8.3/24.8 per game)

Games 13-19 (at Pitt to Wake)
Overall FG%: 35.4%
3PT%: 18.4% (3.7/20.1 per game)

Games 20-26 (at Florida State to present)
Overall FG%: 45.4%
3PT%: 35.3% (7.9/22.3 per game)

For context, the 26.8% would lead the country in 3PT percentage defense.
33.2% ranks 138th.
35.3% ranks 270th.
Thanks for the numbers for sure. Interesting changes. You think the competition changed or peeps just started hitting shots. I don’t think our d changed. Some think our effort is low on our games we’ve lost but I don’t think that’s it. Maybe a little bit I do know there can be lulls in mid seasons.

Thanks for the numbers for sure. Interesting changes. You think the competition changed or peeps just started hitting shots. I don’t think our d changed. Some think our effort is low on our games we’ve lost but I don’t think that’s it. Maybe a little bit I do know there can be lulls in mid seasons.
It probably depends on where you stand on this team defensively.

The 18% 3PT defense was unsustainable. There was some good fortune in that. The best 3PT defense in the last 30 years was probably around 25%. To be that good probably isn’t the reality.

But, the numbers are really good. They’re really good against top 50 opponents. So they might be better than what I give them credit for.

I personally thought this was a team that was going to score pretty easy and struggle defensively and it’s been the opposite in ACC play. So I may have a bias that I’m not getting over with them.

Part of all this is that opponents have discovered that all three guards can be rubbed off by a big man. This opens up a quick set shot. UNC lost to Syracuse from this one play. If their shooters are making the shot it is repeated. It is a defensive decision to fight through the screen or call for help.

Reactions: Heelicious
It probably depends on where you stand on this team defensively.

The 18% 3PT defense was unsustainable. There was some good fortune in that. The best 3PT defense in the last 30 years was probably around 25%. To be that good probably isn’t the reality.

But, the numbers are really good. They’re really good against top 50 opponents. So they might be better than what I give them credit for.

I personally thought this was a team that was going to score pretty easy and struggle defensively and it’s been the opposite in ACC play. So I may have a bias that I’m not getting over with them.
In recent posts I’ve said that we’ve been a little lucky starting out. Then of course teams started hitting from deep. lol then teams started hitting some crazy stuff. It all pans out imo. I don’t think we are great defensively but we are loads better from the past few years. I think most guys are doing their best and have improved in that regard.
I think people forget that other teams improve, and also have games that it’s just their night, no matter how we play.

In recent posts I’ve said that we’ve been a little lucky starting out. Then of course teams started hitting from deep. lol then teams started hitting some crazy stuff. It all pans out imo. I don’t think we are great defensively but we are loads better from the past few years. I think most guys are doing their best and have improved in that regard.
I think people forget that other teams improve, and also have games that it’s just their night, no matter how we play.
We can say this now in college sports…

They get paid too!

Looks to me like during that good defensive stretch, we were not switching unless forced into it as someone mentioned earlier. I do think Bacot can do an okay job if needed on a switch but what about the guard on the center and do you want one of your best rebounders 18 feet from the basket when a shot goes up?

For me it is an attitude that I am going to fight through screens no matter what. I think switching constantly is the easy way out that causes too many mismatches. We have gotten lackadaisical on defense and need to get back to fighting over screens in general.

Offensively, get the ball in the paint. Bacot and Ingram are willing passers to wherever is open when someone sucks down or doubles the post. Why can't anyone throw a post entry pass anymore?

Reactions: DSouthr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT