ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the 2019 ACC QBs

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Athlon

No surprise that GT's Oliver is picked last: he was recruited to run the PJ flexbone.

Sam Howell is assumed UNC starter and is #13.

Louisville's Jawon pass is #11. Last year, he looked like a 2* recruit true freshman. He was a fairly high 4* recruit. Howell, Fortin, and Ruder will all be better than Pass this year.

Syracuse's Tommy DeVito is all the way up to #3. When he played last year as a freshman, like against us, he showed he could pass ball very well, across the field and deep.

TOS also has a ranking of starting ACC QBs, with Howell ranked #14.

I think everyone is going to be surprised by UNC QB play, including when the 2 guys who do not start against SoCar get on the field.

Reactions: Archer2
I'm guessing people are saying Howell because he started the spring game, but I read somewhere the starter was determined by a coin flip or something like that. Not sure if that's true. Unless Mack is adamant about starting the guy he recruited, I don't think Howell gets the start. At least not from day one.

I give no credence to those rankings whatsoever. I’ll guarantee you that whoever starts for UNC will finish much higher than they have us ranked.

I give no credence to those rankings whatsoever. I’ll guarantee you that whoever starts for UNC will finish much higher than they have us ranked.
Probably, but I can't blame them for having us so low. They don't really have much game tape to go on at this point. It's hard to put them in front of people who have played a lot.

Probably, but I can't blame them for having us so low. They don't really have much game tape to go on at this point. It's hard to put them in front of people who have played a lot.
Oh I understand the reluctance. I’m just saying it’s underestimating our staff and our players. And I’ll be perfectly fine when we prove them wrong. I’ll be very surprised if our starting quarterback isn’t listed in the top half of the quarterbacks in the league at seasons end.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I still think Ruder will end up being QB1. I think he’s a better fit for the new system.
According to what I’ve read, he’s the best runner of the three. His legs accounted for about the same amount of yardage as his arm did his senior year of high school. But he supposedly has a strong arm, he just didn’t use it as much.

Can’t wait to see who gets the starting nod between he and Howell. Their physical skills being fairly close, I think the one that shows the best command of the offense and makes the best decisions will prevail. IOW, move the chains and get us into the end zone while minimizing turnovers.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
According to what I’ve read, he’s the best runner of the three. His legs accounted for about the same amount of yardage as his arm did his senior year of high school. But he supposedly has a strong arm, he just didn’t use it as much.

Can’t wait to see who gets the starting nod between he and Howell. Their physical skills being fairly close, I think the one that shows the best command of the offense and makes the best decisions will prevail. IOW, move the chains and get us into the end zone while minimizing turnovers.
The HS clips I saw of Ruder suggested that his receivers were barely run of the mill. There is a big difference between a QB, on the one hand, with no real talent at WR and TE who runs for roughly half his total offense, and on the other hand, a QB who has a TE and WR who will play G5 football and another WR who will play 1AA and that QB has roughly half his Total Offense be his rushing.

The HS clips I saw of Ruder suggested that his receivers were barely run of the mill. There is a big difference between a QB, on the one hand, with no real talent at WR and TE who runs for roughly half his total offense, and on the other hand, a QB who has a TE and WR who will play G5 football and another WR who will play 1AA and that QB has roughly half his Total Offense be his rushing.
Oh I agree. Reports are that he can make all the requisite throws and he will have a better receiving corp. Now can the OL protect our QB?

Oh I agree. Reports are that he can make all the requisite throws and he will have a better receiving corp. Now can the OL protect our QB?
Probably not very well against a D as stacked as Clemson's. But against most Ds we face? I think so.

Ruder, it seems to me, is not a run-QB who might become a halfway decent pass game QB if he is given the keys for 3 years. I think he has much more pass game potential than that. But I also think that Ruder is good enough an all around football player that he could be a quality RB or WR or HB, or perhaps LB or S. Jace Ruder is an all around top notch football player.

I also think that Fortin could become a very good passing QB, the kind who puts up wild stats in an Air Raid offense.

And Howell seems placed right between Ruder and Fortin is skills sets and also could become a truly top rate QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT