ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Insider Notes (8/9)

JRowland

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
As the season draws near it's a good time to post another round of Insider Notes. This will be compact into one post as spots are fewer and the pool of targets has narrowed a bit since our last edition in this series.

Overall Class Thoughts

Sometimes folks post here or send me messages asking for my take on the class. I'll say what I've said all along. I think this is a really quality class at the moment and one with sufficient talent to compete with most any program in the ACC. As to whether it will be the kind of class that gives UNC the potential to legitimately contend with -- from an athleticism standpoint -- Florida State and Clemson, that depends on how the Heels close. They don't have to bat 1.000 with all their top remaining targets, but they need to hit at a Hall of Fame clip.

Kyree Campbell gives the class some star power on defense and I already consider Tomon Fox, Dominique Ross, Tyrone Hopper, Greg Ross and Javontay Smith to be the caliber of players, in terms of athleticism and ceiling, that could allow the Heels to match up with anyone. They have all the prerequisites you look for to be great, it really just comes down to development.

I'm not quite as high on this class of offensive linemen as last year's but I feel like it's a quality group with a couple of guys that could play multiple positions and thus add to depth and the staff's flexibility. I'm also not extremely high on the way things have played out at receiver and running back, although Jordon Brown could still change my opinion of the latter group.

By position I'll grade the efforts so far.

QB - A+. In a year when they didn't need much, they've added two four-stars. No transcendent, iconic prep talent, but either commit could become big-time.

RB - N/A. Land Brown, I'll bump it to 'B' or 'B+'. If not, it'll be tough to finish how you'd want.

WR - D. If they steal someone late then this can rise significantly. I'm sure people in the program would take issue with this but it's impossible to overlook Deablo, Overton, etc.

TE - B+. Really like Noah Turner. At one point I thought they might take two. He's a quality player. Limitation here or there, but quality player that can be a great asset.

OL - B. Pritchett's strictly an interior lineman, McCargo and Elder give them some tools to work with. Solid group. Have to hope McCargo doesn't have injuries this year.

DE - B. I'm more convinced on Fox than DeFranco at this point. Could add another to bump it up to a 'B+'.

DT - A. Lawrence makes this an A+ and one of the nation's best classes here. Miss on him and still with either Coe or Dunlap it could hang around at an A-.

LB - A-. Add Jonathan Smith and it stays at an A. They aren't four-stars, but they're really good talents.

CB - B+. Love Ross, need another.

S - A-. Love Smith, need another.

Rising on the Board

West Charlotte defensive tackle Marlon Dunlap is clearly a take for UNC at this point and he's someone the staff is zeroing in on. He visits Tennessee today and I wouldn't be surprised if he's on commitment watch for the Heels sooner rather than later. His family feels good about UNC and Dunlap feels great about UNC.

Recently UNC offered Alabama safety Tyrez Lindsey and he's now a major target, too. He would complement the two they have in the secondary quite well. Not sure of a timeline but I do believe the Heels would be on his short list.

Big Out-of-State Names

Kelvin Harmon
is a big-time receiver that includes UNC among a group of favorites like Rutgers, NC State, South Carolina, West Virginia and Temple. He visits Rutgers this coming week and the Scarlet Knights have some momentum, coming in the form of Patrice Rene's recent pledge. I wouldn't write them off. This kid's a big receiver and a big-time talent.

Jaleel Laguins confirmed with THI that he does plan to take official visits, but he didn't list all of the schools he plans to visit. I know the Heels would love to sneak into those visit plans but they might have a little work to do.

Remaining In-State Names Taking their Time

It goes without saying that Dexter Lawrence and Keion Joyner are in no hurry. I'd say it's safe to report that UNC would be on the minds of both players. We know they're on Joyner's short list, although it still seems safe to say that LSU is strong with him, as is Florida State. I would say UNC is still top three but I'd say UNC is probably second or third and needs a strong fall showing. In Lawrence's case I wouldn't put them at the very top of his list, but then again, I don't know who would be at the very top. They still definitely have a shot at both but wouldn't call them odds on favorite with either.

Pete Leota, Ben Wyatt, Jonathan Smith, Jordon Brown and Myles Dorn are five of the biggest remaining in-state targets and all are taking their sweet time.

Buckle up for a long ride with Dorn as he's still planning to take officials. Wyatt really seems to like Stanford (his brother is on the team) and Duke (he likes the coaches) but isn't writing UNC off. Have to wonder how much longer they'll wait.

Leota, Smith and Brown are just moving at their own pace. I believe Smith visited Duke recently but UNC's still weighing heavily on his mind. Leota, have to believe he's still a good bet for UNC but not sure how much longer they'll wait. And Brown likes UNC, Wake and a couple of others and is really tough to get a read on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News