ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question Regarding Justin Jackson

imajericho

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is it time Jackson no longer starts? His confidence is pretty crushed already. He continues to shoot that floater that he can almost never hit. Almost all his baskets are just put backs or wide open layups at this point.

I guess the question I am asking isn't even worded right because with Pinson out.

I don't mean just solely it should be...

Berry
Paige
Tokoto
Johnson Meeks

But, I mean, if healthy should Jackson be behind Pinson. I think Pinson was bringing more to the table than Jackson.

What do yinz think?

Justin Jackson 25.3 Mins/g 9.5 ppg 3.7 rpg 2.6 apg .5 steals .6 blocks 1.3 turnovers 45% FG 69% FT 20% 3PG
Theo Pinson 14.6 3.3 3.7 1.9 .7 .2 .8 38% 63% 26%

What we lose is some height. However, we gain more high motor.

Notice how Pinson is actually outrebounding Jackson significantly per minute? His defense is also better and this shows with his higher steal rate.

Pinson attacks the rim yet also retains a more accurate 3point shot also. It is also to note that Pinson generally doesn't play with the starters a lot which would decrease is assist rate and points/shooting rate due to a less spread out option.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by imajericho:
Is it time Jackson no longer starts? His confidence is pretty crushed already. He continues to shoot that floater that he can almost never hit. Almost all his baskets are just put backs or wide open layups at this point.

I guess the question I am asking isn't even worded right because with Pinson out.

Berry
Paige
Tokoto
Johnson Meeks

But, I mean, if healthy should Jackson be behind Pinson. I think Pinson was bringing more to the table than Jackson.

What do yinz think?

Justin Jackson 25.3 Mins/g 9.5 ppg 3.7 rpg 2.6 apg .5 steals .6 blocks 1.3 turnovers 45% FG 69% FT 20% 3PG

Notice how Pinson is actually outrebounding Jackson significantly per minute? His defense is also better and this shows with his higher steal rate.

Pinson attacks the rim yet also retains a more accurate 3point shot also. It is also to note that Pinson generally doesn't play with the starters a lot which would decrease is assist rate and points/shooting rate due to a less spread out option.

Thoughts?
Jackson was looking awesome early in the year, but he has hit a wall, or has lost confidence, or whatever you want to call it, but right now he is a mess. That's too bad, because I think he can / will be great. He looks so tentative / scared out there, and I think he sure feels a lot of pressure on himself, especially in big games like last night, which translates to him....

shooting way too fast, jacking up shots in a panic vs. under control, as if someone is going to block him if he takes the time to get a good fundamental release.

leaving his feet too often on defense, and not getting his timing right on rebounding / jumping....

I think he'd have a load of pressure taken off of him, and possibly even excel if he was a first guy off the bench. I don't know about what to do when Pinson gets back (is there an outside chance of that this year?), but for now I like the starters you listed, with Jackson and Hicks as the first guys off the bench.

I also wish Jackson had a little more edge too him, a bit of intensity / "good nasty" like Felton, Lawson, McCants (without the head case issues), Hairston (without the bad off court decisioin issues) .... Jackson just seems so skilled, but so meek and mild that if it comes down to a battle of toughness or aggression, he'll get beat by a lesser player most of the time.

Originally posted by Heelicious:
Originally posted by imajericho:

Berry
Paige
Tokoto
Johnson Meeks

What do yinz think?

Thoughts?
Jackson was looking awesome early in the year, but he has hit a wall, or has lost confidence, or whatever you want to call it, but right now he is a mess. That's too bad, because I think he can / will be great. He looks so tentative / scared out there, and I think he sure feels a lot of pressure on himself, especially in big games like last night, which translates to him....

shooting way too fast, jacking up shots in a panic vs. under control, as if someone is going to block him if he takes the time to get a good fundamental release.

leaving his feet too often on defense, and not getting his timing right on rebounding / jumping....

I think he'd have a load of pressure taken off of him, and possibly even excel if he was a first guy off the bench. I don't know about what to do when Pinson gets back (is there an outside chance of that this year?), but for now I like the starters you listed, with Jackson and Hicks as the first guys off the bench.

I also wish Jackson had a little more edge too him, a bit of intensity / "good nasty" like Felton, Lawson, McCants (without the head case issues), Hairston (without the bad off court decisioin issues) .... Jackson just seems so skilled, but so meek and mild that if it comes down to a battle of toughness or aggression, he'll get beat by a lesser player most of the time.
I keep having flashbacks to yesterday where the ball bounced to Jackson on the arc. He had no one within 10 feet of him or even coming to contest him. He took his time and badly bricked the 3.

If he makes that 3, the game is over and UNC wins.

Not saying he lost us the game, but it is another sign of he doesn't seem to have confidence in his shot. He doesn't even look for the 3 pointer anymore. And when it falls into his lap, he can't hit it. Which is probably why he has stopped even looking for it. A lot of open looks from 3 he doesn't even think about shooting.

With Pinson out I would like to see Berry in the starting lineup with Paige and Tokoto on the wing. Bring Justin off the bench for now. You get toughness and a better offensive flow. I didn't think that was the case on the latter until seeing JB's play the last few games.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Last night Jackson was the only guy in the floor for both teams that seemed like he was lost. Hopefully he bounces out of this slump cause we are gonna need him.

Wall has been hit w JJ. Berry is fresh and should get more minutes. Paige is hurting big time as well. He shouldn't even be playing right now

Originally posted by Coach@Heart:
With Pinson out I would like to see Berry in the starting lineup with Paige and Tokoto on the wing. Bring Justin off the bench for now. You get toughness and a better offensive flow. I didn't think that was the case on the latter until seeing JB's play the last few games.
i'd like this just to see what would produce...berry looks way more comfortable now than he did early on.

Originally posted by gteeitup:
i'd like this just to see what would produce...berry looks way more comfortable now than he did early on.
Agree 100%!

Originally posted by Coach@Heart:

What you see now in Berry's improved play is coming from the investment in PT for the kid, he was not getting much court time earlier, now he is and you are beginning to see the special player we have in the kid. We have invested big PT in Jackson and that kid will be very very good for us but I have said to anyone that would listen since about the time Berry committed to us that the kid was a special talent, he just isn't as flashy as some.

I like the back court of Berry & Paige and I darn sure like JP crashing the boards more than hanging out 25ft from the rim and trying another high risk pass to a guy not expecting the ball. IMO, our best PG defender is Berry by a large margin.

I could tell after he badly missed his first two attempts that the moment was just too much for Justin. And he has to produce points to justify him being on the court because defensively he is a minus right now.

I think Berry is our best all around PG at this point. I don't know if that would be the case if Paige was healthy, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen this year. JB shot about as bad as he can in the dook game and we were still better with him on the court.

Paige is hurting more than most realize. Berry is getting better by the game and deserves a start. Jackson was our most highly rated freshman and looked very good at the beginning of the year, so much so, that several thought he would be our highest scorer in quite a few of our games. The conference schedule and improved competition has been tougher on him and he has seemingly lost a ton of confidence.

Pinson getting hurt has limited Roy on options at the 3 spot . . we have 3 point guards and no legitimate SGs. Paige's shooting woes no matter the position he plays at has really hurt our offense production.

Given that Justin has become so unproductive, I think it's time to juggle the line-up and give Mr. Berry all the court time he can handle and hope he has mastered the freshman learning curve.

Ya gotta think that Roy was counting on much more of a contribution from this freshman class, progression and injuries have had a very real effect on those hopes.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:

Agree 100%!
Berry is not scared out there. It's really too bad he missed out on such a chunk of the season, but hopefully he'll get big minutes the rest of the way. He'll be one to watch next year. Jackson too probably but i'm interested to see how good Joel B can get.

I think Jackson is till trying to find his game. Came to UNC with reputation of effective shooter but they have not fallen consistently. Since UNC does not really have 3 point shooters they can't spread the floor as well so he does not the room to drive in the lane. Roy has said he wants him to keep shooting. Not a coincidence that UNC played its best ball of the season when JJ was in a groove. Carolina needs him to be scoring threat.

I like his game but right now he plays to passive, once he gets his confidence back watch out I see big things for this young fella.

Justin Jackson is one of the only freaking good things that has come out of this season.

Yes, his shot has not been falling but you can absolutely tell that the kid is going to be a stud and he plays very SMART basketball.

I'm not sure which floater you've been watching but that baseline floater is MONEY!

IMO this team isn't going to do anything so Justin Jackson might as well get his freshman problems out of the way now...to start Pinson over Justin would be ridiculous! Only thing Pinson has over him is energy.

Originally posted by RoyWilliamsCOY:
Justin Jackson is one of the only freaking good things that has come out of this season.

Yes, his shot has not been falling but you can absolutely tell that the kid is going to be a stud and he plays very SMART basketball.

I'm not sure which floater you've been watching but that baseline floater is MONEY!

IMO this team isn't going to do anything so Justin Jackson might as well get his freshman problems out of the way now...to start Pinson over Justin would be ridiculous! Only thing Pinson has over him is energy.
And defense, ball handling, and rebounding. I love JJ but Theo was becoming a difference maker in certain games and may be contributing more consistently by this point if he wasn't injured.

when outside shots don't fall ... you have to find another way to score dribble/drive get to free throw line can be huge in just getting some confidence that you can still hit a shot ....

The thing with Jackson is the long season combined with the intense competition of the ACC slate has taken a toll on the kid, there is no such thing as a easy ACC game. This has just taken an emotional toll on the kid but if Justin Jackson is all we have to worry about then we are in amazing shape. Watch this kid when he is able to spend a summer with our S/C coach, this kid will develop n to a BEAST!

Thing is, where we are right now, I do agree that the kid would better serve this team by coming off the bench, it never hurts to have a potential solid scorer coming off your bench anyway. Someone mentioned Theo and said something along the lines of his being a solid shooter? I hope he is one day but for now Theo has a TON of work to do to smooth out his jump shot, that thing is bad ugly with a side of eeeuwe! LOL I LOVE the energy Theo brought us but lets not get carried away saying the kid is a solid jump shooter.

Theo, I really don't recall (since that fella that wore the UNC #50) a freshman that came in to games and just effected the game the second he walked on the court. ITs weird, what Theo needs to work is crystal clear (jump shooting and ball handling) but the kid just seemed to find a way to get in to the middle of everything, he was all over the place, like a future Derby winner as a young colt. Didn't matter what else was going on, Theo steps on the court and all the sudden the tempo ratchets up, he is fun to watch for me but I love t watch a kid develop and this kid has no idea how good he can be.

It is almost a good thing that Theo does struggle in some areas like jump shooting because he does struggle there his head has not blown up, he feels like he has to work extra hard to make up for his short comings and that is the stuff greatness is made of, immense talent that feels like it has to work extra hard to get better. Can't wait to see him develop over the next couple years, he is gonna be flat out fun and will become a solid leader!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT