ADVERTISEMENT

Sleeper Athlete Checks Out Chapel Hill

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
By Justin Rowland
Tar Heels Illustrated Staff Writer

You may not have heard of Torrance Marable before, but he stopped by Chapel Hill for the first time this weekend.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound athlete from Decatur (Ga.) Towers has early interest from UNC, Clemson, NC State and UCF, with the Heels talking to him enough that Marable believed a trip to Chapel Hill for Saturday's junior day was in his best interests.

Marable is friends with three-star fellow Georgian Malik Staples, a running back, and the two Peach State prospects made the trip to North Carolina on Saturday.

"I liked it," Marable told< B>THI[/B]. "Actually, to be honest, I loved it."

It wasn't so much the uniforms, or the highlights, or the enthusiasm. It wasn't about a flashy sales pitch. It wasn't' even about one or two more substantive points the coaches conveyed in their conversations. It was more a feeling that Marable got when he was on campus, as he spent more and more time with the coaches.

"I just liked how (the coaches) carried themselves," he said. "You can tell how much they care about the players and their organization. I love the running backs coach (Larry Porter) and his passion for the game. He talked to me and Malik and he helped make it a great visit."

Porter didn't even go in-depth on the offense. He mostly got to know Marable, Staples and the other recruits present on a more personal level.

If UNC were to offer Marable down the road it might not even be as a running back..

"They would use me as a slot and on punt returns, probably," Marable said.

One highlight of the visit, beyond the obvious care the coaching staff showed for their players and recruits present, was the campus.

"I loved the campus and they're even adding onto it," he said.

However, Marable said he wasn't able to see much of the facilities. He did say that he's just fine with UNC's proximity from his home and location would not be a factor that hurts the Heels. If UNC offers, his interest would likely rise. For right now he classified his interest in North Carolina as "medium," right where he puts his interest in other schools.

Prior to the visit Marable had not had much direct contact with the UNC coaching staff. They had reached out to his own staff at Towers and relayed that they were interested in Marable and would like to have him visit.
This post was edited on 2/22 2:56 PM by Andrew Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News