ADVERTISEMENT

So why do I have HOPE for Hubert and this team?

Lots of talk on minutes allocation, I might have missed the discussion on two points where I am looking for Hubert to have learned from last seasons mess:

1. Coach the players you have, not what you want - ie don’t try to smash square pegs (nance) into round holes (stretch 4)

2. Maintain authority over the locker room by holding players accountable - even if that means sitting your ‘best’ player sometimes.

Talent wasn’t and isnt issue…. Coaching will determine this years success.

Nance decided which "hole" he was smashed into! When he was forced to go into the post, he thrived. When he was told he needed to be in the post more, he left! Hubs should have put some on the bench more but who should he have turned to?

Can we please look forward, dang! How can anyone not be excited by our team and the glimpses we have seen on the court? I cannot wait to see THIS team and it is clear it has no relation to THAT team!

Reactions: Oak ridger
On paper, I really Like this team. I believe it will have some growing pains early, but with some experience working together, I belive we will be quite surprised at how good they become. The players they brought in are,imo, a lot better than the players who left. Cadeau is a major difference maker... a pure point penetrator who will make everyone around him better. I love RJ...but we will see he is no Elliot. I am glad that Many are questioning this team and HD...those questions are legitimate. My sense is that come March we will be truly excited about this team...give them a little time.
keyser, it is a given that I expect a lot from Cadeau for the coming season, more so because of how he fits what we need. He is that quick & fast pass first PG that had great court vision, can see the play before it has unfolded. He does not have to be a big time scorer, sure take his clear ops when they arrive but he has that QB mindset of getting it to others for scores. I feel like we have slide in to having PGs that were primary scorers, Cole, RJ, Caleb just a list of recent score first PGs that to me have been poor fits. I think the prototype for UNC PGs should be in the future Cadeau his skill set, will be hard to find and get another Cadeau , he is a special talent but we can look for the closest thing to his skill rather that the high school PG that was high scoring and ball dominant. The young Felton kid I think may be a good example but there are and will be others that come up that may as well fit.

Nance decided which "hole" he was smashed into! When he was forced to go into the post, he thrived. When he was told he needed to be in the post more, he left! Hubs should have put some on the bench more but who should he have turned to?

Can we please look forward, dang! How can anyone not be excited by our team and the glimpses we have seen on the court? I cannot wait to see THIS team and it is clear it has no relation to THAT team!

I love your optimism, but please acknowledge there are issues Hubert needs to address. I’m also in the camp that thinks we’ll be much better this season, but the possibility remains that Hubert is still smoke & mirrors as a coach, albeit a great recruiter. I’m an eternal optimist but I’m not going to keep sugar coating everything to support my fandom.

Reactions: Ozheelfan

Nance left? I think you’re getting your transfers mixed up.

Plain and simple, Hubert has to coach the players he has and to dole out consequences evenly.

That doesn’t mean I’m living in the past. Far from it! I’m hoping Hubert has learned, for this year and every year after into his UNC coaching future.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT