ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Rolland transfers to UNC

You'd think every position is up for grabs. There's a chance I guess that Asim is still the LT and Ed Montilus the LG, but either way continuity is going to be pretty bad early on given all the new faces regardless of how good the individuals are.

Reactions: hossheel
You'd think every position is up for grabs. There's a chance I guess that Asim is still the LT and Ed Montilus the LG, but either way continuity is going to be pretty bad early on given all the new faces regardless of how good the individuals are.
Continuity didn't seem that helpful last year.

Not having watched a single down of Ivy League football in years, I can't joke about taking a Hahvud man to try to make our oL tougher. I assume he will make it a bit smarter.

Continuity didn't seem that helpful last year.
Nope

And this dude isn't even here for spring. Gonna see how well maye and criswell can take a hit...

Better than nothing, but it is impossible to get excited about OL improvement.

Nope

And this dude isn't even here for spring. Gonna see how well maye and criswell can take a hit...

Better than nothing, but it is impossible to get excited about OL improvement.
He does have 2 years of eligibility left. That means that if he is a quick study and can hit the ground running when he arrives, he could be on the 2-deep by the start of the season and then keep working toward a starting job.

The Searels history has a few markers:

Searles favors the heaviest guys - I saw that complaint from Texas, VT, and Miami fans. Rolland is now under 300. Does Searels bringing in Rolland mean that Searels finally has learned the glaring lesson that loving the largest guys often gives you a slow OL? Or does Searels assume he can fatten up Rolland?

Searels picks guys early on in their careers who are his pets, and he sticks with those guys no matter the mediocre outcome. Along with that pattern is the pattern of not developing players. If you are a Jr or 3rd year Soph and not among the Searels pets, your hard work is not likely to mean much. Searels almost certainly will play new recruits ahead of you.

Searels greatly prefers to stick with his pets until either they finish eligibility or they transfer or they retire from injury. 3 years of mediocre play by a Searles pet starter means that if the Searels pet has a 4th year of eligibility left, he almost certainly will start again.

If, for whatever reason, Searels really likes Rolland, and Rolland on campus can become a top Searels pet, Rolland could start even without a Spring.

He does have 2 years of eligibility left. That means that if he is a quick study and can hit the ground running when he arrives, he could be on the 2-deep by the start of the season and then keep working toward a starting job.

The Searels history has a few markers:

Searles favors the heaviest guys - I saw that complaint from Texas, VT, and Miami fans. Rolland is now under 300. Does Searels bringing in Rolland mean that Searels finally has learned the glaring lesson that loving the largest guys often gives you a slow OL? Or does Searels assume he can fatten up Rolland?

Searels picks guys early on in their careers who are his pets, and he sticks with those guys no matter the mediocre outcome. Along with that pattern is the pattern of not developing players. If you are a Jr or 3rd year Soph and not among the Searels pets, your hard work is not likely to mean much. Searels almost certainly will play new recruits ahead of you.

Searels greatly prefers to stick with his pets until either they finish eligibility or they transfer or they retire from injury. 3 years of mediocre play by a Searles pet starter means that if the Searels pet has a 4th year of eligibility left, he almost certainly will start again.

If, for whatever reason, Searels really likes Rolland, and Rolland on campus can become a top Searels pet, Rolland could start even without a Spring.
We get it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT