ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News Poll

Whoa. Nice recognition but a little early for that IMO.

I was checking the Sagarin ratings today and they're weird. I think it's because part of the rating this early in the season is based on last year's results.

#36 Missouri (lost to #71 Wyoming)
#43 South Carolina (lost to #51 North Carolina)
#45 Virginia Tech (lost to #46 Boston College)
#54 Utah State (lost to #56 Wake Forest)

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, it looks like he has Miami as a 3.25-point favorite with a 60% chance to win.

Reactions: heelbent
the carolina-uva game is going to be a great battle.
Mendenhall is a very good coach, and he has the Wahoos playing very well. Mack has this bunch believing he can lead them to the top.

Mack wanted to redeem his loss to SoCar the first time he was at UNC. You know he also wants payback against UVA.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Mack wanted to redeem his loss to SoCar the first time he was at UNC. You know he also wants payback against UVA.

Uh, Mack beat the Gamecocks the last time he played them during Mack Era #1. 1991; 21-17 Heels...beat them despite the officials robbing us of a fumbled punt recovery.

You know he also wants payback against UVA.

Mack beat uva 2 of the last 3 times he played them during his first era at UNC. '95; 22-17 over the nation's 9th ranked team; '97; 48-20 in a game in which the Heels scored the game's final 45 points, unanswered. Dre' Bly had a pick 6 on the first play of the 2nd half....Kenan was ROCKING that day!

Let's put it this way. There just isn't any payback left for Mack to garner in his 2nd Era at UNC. He just wants to win; beat everybody. This isn't a revenge tour....

Reactions: Archer2
Mack beat uva 2 of the last 3 times he played them during his first era at UNC. '95; 22-17 over the nation's 9th ranked team; '97; 48-20 in a game in which the Heels scored the game's final 45 points, unanswered. Dre' Bly had a pick 6 on the first play of the 2nd half....Kenan was ROCKING that day!
But that loss in '96 was a crusher. It prevented a Major Bowl appearance.

highlights

I don't think Mack is on a revenge tour either. He is trying to reestablish our program and wants to win every single game. I doubt he will overlook any team we play, certainly not one of the 10 most talented teams in the country which just happens to be a Coastal rival.

Whichever team wins this game will be the co-favorite with UVA to win our division. Needless to say, it is a very big game for both teams.

Some interesting results from Jeff Sagarin’s ratings after two weeks. Strength of schedule in parentheses.

#22 Virginia 2-0 (87)
#27 Miami 0-2 (9)
#28 NC State 2-0 (197)
#31 South Carolina 1-1 (141)
#33 North Carolina 2-0 (15)
#38 Wake Forest 2-0 (66)

Last edited:
TBH, I think our ranking is about right. As Mack said, we’re 2-0 and haven’t really played all that well, we have a lot of areas in which we can improve. Our punting in particular was atrocious last night, Freshman nerves? Most likely, nevertheless it must improve considerably.

I hope Polino is alright, if not he will be sorely missed.

Miami is 27th at 0 and 2?? Something there doesn't seem reasonable.
Some interesting results from Jeff Sagarin’s ratings after two weeks. Strength of schedule in parentheses.

#22 Virginia 2-0 (87)
#27 Miami 0-2 (9)
#28 NC State (197)
#31 South Carolina (141)
#33 North Carolina (15)
#38 Wake Forest (66)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT