ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Gosnell a Tar Heel

Kinda shocked about this one. Thought we would’ve used it for more defensive help. Maybe offer him a preferred walk on spot but not my decision.

Kinda shocked about this one. Thought we would’ve used it for more defensive help. Maybe offer him a preferred walk on spot but not my decision.
Supposedly he made a very big impression at camp this summer, and then has only upped that this season.

I think the staff really wanting him also is about wanting to make certain Boaz does not entertain any offers to play QB elsewhere.

He’s way too good for that. We just used a lot of this class to bring in perhaps the best single defensive class we’ve ever had. Besides, we need receivers who can actually catch passes. This kid reminds me of Proehl.

Reactions: heelfan1961
How many scholarships do we have available for the 2020 class? Does anyone have an exact number?

Reactions: Archer2
Don't let the 3 stars fool you. This kid is the real deal. Speed and tough as nails. At the Reidsville game he was the best player on the field. Could help as a receiver or db. Should be able to play special teams right away.

I didn't go to that game, but my wife was there working the game (she teaches at Reidsville) and she said that "the big dude, who looked like a giant" torched them, as did "some other kid who we couldn't catch up with". (Sorry, aside from watching our son play football, she never has had any interest in football!)

Given Reidsville's history and the athletes they typically have, I was shocked at this. They pretty much roll over everyone they play until almost the state championship game each year. Them getting beat in the regular season was shocking enough, but to have a couple of guys from such a small school do what they did made it even more shocking.

I will say this, too. The Reidsville kids and coaches had nothing but great things to say about that team and it's players. It was a heck of a football game and she says, even though Rreidsville lost, they really respected those kids a lot.

I didn't attend East Surry, but I went to that game. Gosnell was the other kid your wife was talking about. I have been attending high school football games for around 40 years and I cannot remember many better individual performances.

Octavious Oxendine is still in play.
He's a biggun.

As neither Taylor, nor Gill, nor Lawless-Sherrill has stepped up, even one step, and we lose Crawford and Strowbirdge, the staff may be serious about adding another DT.

I assume we going to add at least OT.

What I wonder about is if we might be able to land a quality DT, and perhaps OT/OG, as a grad transfer.

He's a biggun.

As neither Taylor, nor Gill, nor Lawless-Sherrill has stepped up, even one step, and we lose Crawford and Strowbirdge, the staff may be serious about adding another DT.

I assume we going to add at least OT.

What I wonder about is if we might be able to land a quality DT, and perhaps OT/OG, as a grad transfer.

What's going on with Lawless? Former 4 star kid that committed to Tenn. Hoping he steps up his game here shortly because we're gonna need him next year.

What's going on with Lawless? Former 4 star kid that committed to Tenn. Hoping he steps up his game here shortly because we're gonna need him next year.
That is a big question.

I haven't heard anything about an injury, and that makes me wonder about his desire. Some guys with the potential just burn out and no longer really care to work hard to make it big in college.

That is a big question.

I haven't heard anything about an injury, and that makes me wonder about his desire. Some guys with the potential just burn out and no longer really care to work hard to make it big in college.
Lawless will be fine. He is a little underweight, so he is working hard with the strength staff to get bigger the right way; some guys just take longer than others to add neccessary bulk

If my math is correct that's 16 of the top50 nc kids

This article may not be up to date. Regardless, Mack and staff have pieced together a fantastic class, especially on the defensive side of the ball, something I've been hoping to see for many years.

"Gosnell is UNC’s 24th commitment for the class of 2020, and the 14th from the state of North Carolina. That number matches John Bunting’s 2006 class and Butch Davis’ 2009 class for the most in-state recruits in a single class since the turn of the century. Those were Bunting’s and Davis’ sixth and third recruiting classes, respectively. Mack has only been on the (new) job for 11 months."

Don’t forget the 2nd ranked player in N.C. also he his no longer committed to Auburn...
And I really think we end up signing Trenton Simpson. CB has UNC 58%, Auburn 25%, and unknown 17%. We continue to trend upward. I think he could be our best LB since LT.

This article may not be up to date. Regardless, Mack and staff have pieced together a fantastic class, especially on the defensive side of the ball, something I've been hoping to see for many years.

"Gosnell is UNC’s 24th commitment for the class of 2020, and the 14th from the state of North Carolina. That number matches John Bunting’s 2006 class and Butch Davis’ 2009 class for the most in-state recruits in a single class since the turn of the century. Those were Bunting’s and Davis’ sixth and third recruiting classes, respectively. Mack has only been on the (new) job for 11 months."

And I really think we end up signing Trenton Simpson. CB has UNC 58%, Auburn 25%, and unknown 17%. We continue to trend upward. I think he could be our best LB since LT.
Arch, I may have included Simpson in my number. Also there was one other kid (dont recall who at the moment) that hasn't committed yet but is showing as 100% UNC.

If we get Simpson, that would be 4 of the top5 NC kids, which I'm hearing has never happened before.

If we get Simpson, that would be 4 of the top5 NC kids, which I'm hearing has never happened before.
Makes me smile just thinking about it. As I said, Simpson is a stud. Pair him up with another 4* LB in Ethan West, put them behind Murphy, Bingley-Jones, Pinder, and possibly Evans, with Conley at S, and you have the backbone of a great defense.

I wonder how many of them will play as freshmen. Quite a few, I'm guessing.

Makes me smile just thinking about it. As I said, Simpson is a stud. Pair him up with another 4* LB in Ethan West, put them behind Murphy, Bingley-Jones, Pinder, and possibly Evans, with Conley at S, and you have the backbone of a great defense.

I wonder how many of them will play as freshmen. Quite a few, I'm guessing.
All of them that are not injured will play. We desperately need depth on D.

Lawless will be fine. He is a little underweight, so he is working hard with the strength staff to get bigger the right way; some guys just take longer than others to add neccessary bulk

Are you sure about that? He's been in our strength program since January so it's hard to believe he isn't in good enough shape to play yet.

All of them that are not injured will play. We desperately need depth on D.

Agreed. Plus these guys need experience playing together. This class will form the backbone of our defense for the next three or four years.

I’d be interested to see how many of them will be enrolling early. The extra time to learn Bateman’s scheme could be a huge factor in how much playing time they get, and how successful our defense is.

Agreed. Plus these guys need experience playing together. This class will form the backbone of our defense for the next three or four years.

I’d be interested to see how many of them will be enrolling early. The extra time to learn Bateman’s scheme could be a huge factor in how much playing time they get, and how successful our defense is.
Evans is not enrolling early because he plays basketball. I don't know who is.

Last piece to this class...

He took an unofficial visit in April. Would love to steal another one from the Peckers.
Are we planning on adding 2 more on the OL? If not, is Adorno better for us than either James Pagorelc or Cayden Baker?

I think that makes sense, as it would have a better chance at building a pipeline to a local area than an out-of-state kid would.

I'd only have an issue if they started prioritizing NC kids ahead of more talented out-of-state kids. That'd be dumb.

I think that makes sense, as it would have a better chance at building a pipeline to a local area than an out-of-state kid would.

I'd only have an issue if they started prioritizing NC kids ahead of more talented out-of-state kids. That'd be dumb.
And I don’t think Mack would do that. But we do need to dominate the state recruiting wise. We seem well on our way back to doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT