Still In The Running For Buchanan

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
Still In The Running For Buchanan

By Justin Rowland
Tar Heel Illustrated Staff Writer

Baylen Buchanan's recruitment may have changed drastically over the weekend.

The Louisville commit from Suwanee (Ga.) Peachtree Ridge received an offer from Georgia, an in-state school that carries a lot of weight in Buchanan's parts. Buchanan had been scheduled to unofficially visit UNC over the weekend. The Tar Heels had already offered.

One of Georgia's coaches tipped Buchanan off that they were planning to offer if he would visit Athens instead. So Buchanan visited Georgia and the offer went through.

"It was my first SEC offer so you know it was really exciting," the 6-foot, 180-pound cornerback said. "They told me I was going to get it so I was prepared but there's nothing like actually getting it. Georgia was very nice. Nicer than I thought it was going to be. Everybody down here is always going to Athens. I had never been before. When I got there they really showed me a lot."

Where does the Georgia offer put Buchanan's commitment to Louisville?

"I'm keeping my recruitment open," the nation's No. 44-ranked corner said. "I'm really trying to evaluate every school fairly."

The Louisville commitment didn't dissuade Buchanan from setting up a visit to Chapel Hill. He told THI that the Georgia offer won't keep him from actually going through with that visit. It will just have to be a little later than he had planned.

"I'm definitely going to visit North Carolina very soon. As soon as I can," said Buchanan. "I'm talking to coach Gene Chizik. A couple of coaches actually came to the school one time, but I think they got fired. Those are the ones I used to talk to. Coach Chizik talks to my dad a lot. I haven't had a full conversation with him really but I know they're really interested. My dad thinks he's a great guy. They talk frequently.

"That's a big hire for them. That means he means business. That shows a lot. I know he actually takes care of his kids," Buchanan concluded.
This post was edited on 2/26 12:01 AM by Andrew Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News