ADVERTISEMENT

Storylines to watch in Spring games this weekend

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Several ACC games are noted

BC - must replace 4 starters on the OL with a new OC.
Clemson - do the Tigers have a QB problem or QB competition?
FSU - 23 early enrollees (13 freshmen and 10 transfers)
Pitt - how will offense look without Pickett and with a new OC?

UNC - "It was just a year ago that the Tar Heels were the sleeper hit of the spring. With Sam Howell at quarterback and an influx of top recruits, the college football world was high on UNC, which spent an entire offseason soaking in the adulation -- only to finish 6-7 with a host of genuinely ugly losses. ... At QB, the battle to replace Howell will be one major topic, but there are holes at tailback, outside receiver, linebacker and some big questions on the O-line."

I think the glaring omission in this blurb is that there is no mention of Gene Chizik and Charlton Warren. They certainly warrant a sentence.

I think the most interesting one is Cincinnati. Not only do the Bearcats return the entire starting OL, but they have a unique transfer QB. Ben Bryant served as Desmond Ridder's backup, and then he transferred to Eastern Michigan last year so he could start. He passed for 3100 yards, and then transferred right back to Cincy. So Cincy could have a new starting QB who is both experienced with the program and as a D1 starter on a bowl team.

That is the most original use of the portal and easy transfer rules I have seen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT