ADVERTISEMENT

The Coaches Who Have Beaten Us This Season

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
And just go ahead and prepare yourself when Hubert gets out-coached by 3 more dudes with 30+ years experience and hundreds of W's: the rat, hamilton, and that grumpy bastage in the upstate.

@TarHeelMark got me interested. Here's what I found out about the coaches who have beaten us so far this season. Listed by age.

CoachSchoolAgeYears as HCW-L% *NCAA
Jim LarranagaMiami723759.4 (61.5)7
Rick BarnesTennessee673565.5 (63.6)25
John CalipariKentucky623076.4 (78.6)20
Mike BreyNotre Dame622764.6 (64.4)14
Matt PainterPurdue511867.4 (66.5)13

* First # = Overall % -- Number in () = % at current school

Thanks for posting. I had out together similar data as well but forgot to post it. It sucks but we should go ahead and be ready for similar results versus dook, fsu, maybe Syracuse too. Hope Hubert proves me wrong
Maybe worry about Mike Young, too. He's "only" 58, but he's been a head coach for 20 years. And, unfortunately for us, his team seems to be recovering from some recent stumbles.

Fortunately, next Monday's rescheduled game vs Va Tech is at home.

Needless to say, we can't be looking ahead, since we're on the road against Wake this Saturday. That game deserves all our attention.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Maybe worry about Mike Young, too. He's "only" 58, but he's been a head coach for 20 years. And, unfortunately for us, his team seems to be recovering from some recent stumbles.

Fortunately, next Monday's rescheduled game vs Va Tech is at home.

Needless to say, we can't be looking ahead, since we're on the road against Wake this Saturday. That game deserves all our attention.
Yeah, WF coach is solid too.

Be interesting to see what Hubert does in response to the Miami drubbing. Regardless, if the players weren't embarassed enough to play like their hair's on 🔥 saturday, then it won't matter.

Yeah, WF coach is solid too.

Be interesting to see what Hubert does in response to the Miami drubbing. Regardless, if the players weren't embarassed enough to play like their hair's on 🔥 saturday, then it won't matter.
Indeed. Hubert needs to have a “come to Jesus” meeting with the team and tell them that anyone not giving 100% wil be sitting, regardless of talent level or age.

Period.

I am not sure what other "come to Jesus" meetings will help. HD said a month ago that they needed to focus on playing with effort and needed to develop leadership from within the team. His comments after the embarrassment in Miami tell me that he is just as lost in that area as he was a month ago. I think it is just the mindset of this team. And I am not sure that this mindset seen the last couple of years isn't the main reason Roy quit. He thought it was him and that he suddenly had aged out and couldn't reach today's player as he had in the past. This appears to be wrong.

I am not sure what other "come to Jesus" meetings will help. HD said a month ago that they needed to focus on playing with effort and needed to develop leadership from within the team. His comments after the embarrassment in Miami tell me that he is just as lost in that area as he was a month ago. I think it is just the mindset of this team. And I am not sure that this mindset seen the last couple of years isn't the main reason Roy quit. He thought it was him and that he suddenly had aged out and couldn't reach today's player as he had in the past. This appears to be wrong.
You’re more right than most of us want to admit. Unfortunately.

It starts with the coaching staff. The lack of defensive adjustments by the UNC staff in our last game made me wonder if any of them deserve their jobs. How many times do you watch Miami set a pick and roll, and kick it back to a wide open Miami center, before you adjust how your defense handles it?

It starts with the coaching staff. How many times do you watch Miami set a pick and roll, and kick it back to a wide open Miami center, before you adjust how your defense handles it?
It’s definitely frustrating to watch that happen over and over and over yet again.

The bottom line is that Hubert is learning on the job. I winced when he said early on that he “felt no pressure at all to win.” I knew then that he was either being naive or he was whistling past the graveyard. Fans have great expectations and rightfully so, we are after all one of a handful of flagship programs. There’s going to be an inevitable period of adjustment for players and staff. It will be 2-3 years before we can truly judge whether this staff can grow into a staff which can successfully lead this program going forward.

My hope is that they can. Only time will tell. With Dean’s slow start after the recent national championship, @SuperFan61 and @Kerwinwaltonsafro are the type of fans who hung Dean in effigy after a bad loss to Wake in what was I believe his third year. This is Hubert’s first year, he should be afforded a little patience and given 2-3 years to see if he can “grow into a great coach.” Just my $.02 worth, which won’t even buy a piece of bubblegum anymore.

It’s definitely frustrating to watch that happen over and over and over yet again.

The bottom line is that Hubert is learning on the job. I winced when he said early on that he “felt no pressure at all to win.” I knew then that he was either being naive or he was whistling past the graveyard. Fans have great expectations and rightfully so, we are after all one of a handful of flagship programs. There’s going to be an inevitable period of adjustment for players and staff. It will be 2-3 years before we can truly judge whether this staff can grow into a staff which can successfully lead this program going forward.

My hope is that they can. Only time will tell. With Dean’s slow start after the recent national championship, @SuperFan61 and @Kerwinwaltonsafro are the type of fans who hung Dean in effigy after a bad loss to Wake in what was I believe his third year. This is Hubert’s first year, he should be afforded a little patience and given 2-3 years to see if he can “grow into a great coach.” Just my $.02 worth, which won’t even buy a piece of bubblegum anymore.
I find it beyond disrespectful for you to say I would have hung Dean in effigy.

All I have ever done is criticize the lack of defensive adjustments in games, or the lack of academic monitoring of a player. GFY.

^ Hubert may be learning on the job and Tar Heel Nation is rightfully spoiled by our
decades of success and anxious about our recent decline.
Bottom line- where is the leadership ON THE COURT? Which of these young men is gonna step
up DURING THE GAME and challenge his teammates to COMPETE? Who has had enough of
getting curb-stomped to invoke the mad-as-hell-and-not-gonna-take-it-anymore mantra?
That's what it will take to get the results we want; nothing less.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

Dean Smith was hired 60 years ago, so any comparison between him and Hubert is apples and oranges. The media pressure alone makes things entirely different. The team lying down and the ASININE things that Hubert says are where my problem with him lies, not the wins and losses. If the team went down fighting in those 5 losses, so be it. That's sports. That hasn't been the case. When he talks about what a great perimeter defender Dawson Garcia is, and how Dunn and Styles will be among the best to ever play at UNC (and that's just 2 off the top of my head), he sounds like a damn fool, and that's not even mentioning him thanking Cal for an ass kicking. Dean Smith nor any coach that I ever heard of would do or say these things. We all know he wasn't qualified for the job, and he's proving it every day.

Reactions: Old_School59

Arch, what we have is simply an odd mix of talents that just seem to really struggle to work well together. It isn't a lack of talent, it is how this talent meshes with each other. Coaches can only do so much, I have advocated for benching some guys but truth is the only 2 guys that have played the point for us are maybe the first 2 that seem to not consistently mesh? Who is at the point if we bench those 2, Leaky, don't really want to re-live Leaky at the point.

We simply do not have a PG, we have combo guards that I do believe are trying to be UNC PGs, problem is when they get under pressure they revert back to what they are, off guards. Simple truth is your PG is the guy that runs your team, he is your QB on the floor. The primary mission of UNC PGs, PGs in general for that matter but especially at UNC is to guide his team, to not turn the ball over, and to not give it back more on the defensive end. These 3 things from a PG are absolutely critical and we have seen both of our PGs struggle in all 3 of these areas. The primary mission of our PG is not to be our leading scorer but more a guy that leads us TO scoring. Yes, you do want your PG to be a opportunistic scorer, you want him to jump shoot well enough that he has to be respected as a shooter but the more important aspects are assist to TO numbers and stopping his defensive assignment from running the other team better than we are run.

We don't have this consistently for 40min a game, we have had some better moments of this but revert to the old habits of being scorers when they get under pressure. I have said this many times, many folks complain about what they see as a 2 Pgs on the floor system, we do not have this, what we have is a 2 scoring (2guard) guard team without a PG consistently when the pressure is on. I am afraid tuff love does not solve that. I am not dumping on RJ & Caleb, they are what they are as players and the scoring aspect is so ingrained in them that they believe they are doing what this team needs them to do. Under pressure we all revert back to our nature, to that which is most ingrained in us.

I had hoped prior to this season that with the raw talent that both RJ and Caleb have that at least one of the 2 could at least become serviceable and to an extent that has happened but at critical times they revert back and we get in to trouble when that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT