ADVERTISEMENT

The Death Of College Football?

midline

Hall of Famer
Dec 27, 2007
I am not so sure that we aren't headed down that path with the current NIL and a transfer portal open 24 hours a day. I am afraid that this is all going to basically deteriorate into little more than an all star pick up games to the highest bidder in an ongoing world of free agency. Part of the charm of college football is seeing those players hang around for 4-5 years that builds a relationship with the fan base. Afraid those days are over. Drake Maye is an exception. His family is UNC legacy and he will be the #1 QB taken in the draft after next year no matter who he plays for. But otherwise we have the inmates running the asylum. The players can basically put themselves on the open market and sell themselves to the highest bidder. And with all the ridiculous exceptions, we now see guys wandering around being eligible to play for 6-7 years. Terrible incident at UVA with the murders, but I noticed this morning that all on the team have been given another year's eligibility to compensate. Really? It is a bad deal, but an extra year for missing three games? All of this is totally out if hand. The players wanted a cut of the pie (at least legally) and they got that. But business is a two sided deal. The way it is set up right now it is far from that. The players control both ends of the deal. Since they are now pros, let's have contracts. You are still fine to transfer any time you want to. But if you do, you have to pay back every cent of NIL and scholarship monies that the school you are leaving invested in you. If some guardrails such as this are not put in place, the fan base won't know anybody on their team from year to year, and lose interest altogether. At that point, the geniuses in charge will have finally killed the goose that laid the golden egg

I am not so sure that we aren't headed down that path with the current NIL and a transfer portal open 24 hours a day. I am afraid that this is all going to basically deteriorate into little more than an all star pick up games to the highest bidder in an ongoing world of free agency. Part of the charm of college football is seeing those players hang around for 4-5 years that builds a relationship with the fan base. Afraid those days are over. Drake Maye is an exception. His family is UNC legacy and he will be the #1 QB taken in the draft after next year no matter who he plays for. But otherwise we have the inmates running the asylum. The players can basically put themselves on the open market and sell themselves to the highest bidder. And with all the ridiculous exceptions, we now see guys wandering around being eligible to play for 6-7 years. Terrible incident at UVA with the murders, but I noticed this morning that all on the team have been given another year's eligibility to compensate. Really? It is a bad deal, but an extra year for missing three games? All of this is totally out if hand. The players wanted a cut of the pie (at least legally) and they got that. But business is a two sided deal. The way it is set up right now it is far from that. The players control both ends of the deal. Since they are now pros, let's have contracts. You are still fine to transfer any time you want to. But if you do, you have to pay back every cent of NIL and scholarship monies that the school you are leaving invested in you. If some guardrails such as this are not put in place, the fan base won't know anybody on their team from year to year, and lose interest altogether. At that point, the geniuses in charge will have finally killed the goose that laid the golden egg
What's happening off the field has become bigger than what's happening on the field. The business has surpassed the sport. College football is no more. It's professional sports now.

I was for paying them a stipend so they could have some pocket money to live the college experience. Once the NIL genie was let out of the bottle, this chaos was inevitable. The transfer rule change just exacerbated the problems.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I was for paying them a stipend so they could have some pocket money to live the college experience. Once the NIL genie was let out of the bottle, this chaos was inevitable. The transfer rule change just exacerbated the problems.
I was always opposed to adding money to the already large benefits of an athletics scholarship because I have this annoying habit of pointing out that all things that seem to be nicey nice and helpful carry ugly downsides - there are always unintended consequences that mean new problems. 100% of the time. Sometimes those new problems can be relatively small, so if the do-gooding actually cures the ills its backers claim it will, then all's good in that case. But what, for example, government program can you name that ever actually cured the ill its backers swore it would cure?

Where are you Jay Bilas??? The chaos you helped unleash is killing college sports ...but hey those meaningless halftime court sessions sure are something

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Agreed, player development is half the fun.

Last yr i was feeling okay, we got better by adding Noah Taylor and Corey Gaynor. We lost Trey Morrison and young guys like Khafre Brown, and Clyde Pinder, but none felt too painful. In terms of development losing Eugene Asante sucked. Gray was definitely a smarter player, but Asante might've gotten there eventually.

But imagine losing Downs last yr or Drake this yr. It is bound to happen eventually if we don't elevate ourselves to tops of the ACC.

Maybe not death of CFB, but something weird parity-wise will happen.

USC and top programs are getting guys like Jordan Addison while only losing second-stringerss. .

Above average programs like ours are getting guys like Noah Taylor and Corey Gaynor while only losing second-stringers.

But UVA is losing starters - Fentrell Cyprus and their best linebacker are goner. Obviously Pitt losing Addison didn't help. GASt, Coastal, Buffalo, etc are losing starters.

So "better" teams are going to get better, at least at the starting positions, while "lesser" teams are going to be hurt imo. We might actually be better off due to the portal if we can grab a really solid corner who is better than Cavazos*

I think once you get to a level of suckitude like UVA you're in trouble, since anyone good on your team is just going to bounce and better portal players are going to find their way to better ($) teams.

* yes, Cavazos is a portal guy.

Maybe not death of CFB, but something weird parity-wise will happen.

USC and top programs are getting guys like Jordan Addison while only losing second-stringerss. .

Above average programs like ours are getting guys like Noah Taylor and Corey Gaynor while only losing second-stringers.

But UVA is losing starters - Fentrell Cyprus and their best linebacker are goner. Obviously Pitt losing Addison didn't help. GASt, Coastal, Buffalo, etc are losing starters.

So "better" teams are going to get better, at least at the starting positions, while "lesser" teams are going to be hurt imo. We might actually be better off due to the portal if we can grab a really solid corner who is better than Cavazos*

I think once you get to a level of suckitude like UVA you're in trouble, since anyone good on your team is just going to bounce and better portal players are going to find their way to better ($) teams.

* yes, Cavazos is a portal guy.
That is coming, and fast, unless people agree that we need 'an NCAA' to regulate for the good of the sport. The problem is that the SEC and Big Ten both are so super rich that they now will be likely to refuse to agree to anything that might hold them back a bit in being predatory 365 every year.

The BT's entire history is bout acting in ways to restrict competition, gather which you then can claim that you clearly are best. The SEC is now part of that game. Each might be happy to have a new division, Super, with just those 2 leagues. And each league's members would prey all the time on schools beneath them.

Yes, such things were inherent in any move to 'pay players.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT