ADVERTISEMENT

The First 8 Games - This Year vs Last

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
The first 8 games of each season, just for fun...

2021-222022-23
W-L6-25-3
Top 50 opponents33
Creampuff opponents54
Average points scored81.2577.36*
Average points allowed73.1372.13*

* Only counted the points in regulation for the 4 OT game. Trying to keep it apples to apples.

Some of the players. Season so far for 2022-23, full season for 2021-22

Player2022 PPG2023 PPG2022 3pt%2023 3pt%2022 ORtg2023 ORtg
Caleb15.919.136.025.0101.5102.1
RJ13.515.136.728.9111.7104.3
Armando16.316.112.5(00.0)117.9107.2
Leaky4.97.633.341.2120.5118.5
Puff3.15.623.1(33.3)124.0133.2
Pete14.6*12.345.7*35.5113.4*117.6

*Pete's numbers at Northwestern for 2021-22, obviously.
( ) = only 1 shot by Armando, only 3 by Puff

Last edited:
Reactions: Heelicious
This year versus last year is not a good comparison. First off you had a new head coach. Second, with everybody but Manek back, this team is a year older and about as experienced as any college team one will see this day and time. This team should be miles better after 8 games this year than last

Last year Brady and Dawson split the PF. Combined, they averaged 45.6% from deep on 26 of 57 shooting over the first 8 games.

I suppose the appropriate comparison might be to combine Pete and Puff this year. Combined, they are averaging 35.3% from deep on 12 of 34 shooting.

Now 35.3% shooting isn't awful. But Dawson and Brady were better. More significant might be how many more shots that duo took last year.

Keep in mind, that Dawson was starting ahead of Manek until he got injured. Brady shot from deep more than twice as often as Dawson - 41 attempts vs 16.

Last year Brady and Dawson split the PF. Combined, they averaged 45.6% from deep on 26 of 57 shooting over the first 8 games.

I suppose the appropriate comparison might be to combine Pete and Puff this year. Combined, they are averaging 35.3% from deep on 12 of 34 shooting.

Now 35.3% shooting isn't awful. But Dawson and Brady were better. More significant might be how many more shots that duo took last year.

Keep in mind, that Dawson was starting ahead of Manek until he got injured. Brady shot from deep more than twice as often as Dawson - 41 attempts vs 16.
Yes but Nance is better in some aspects than Brady was, he is a different type of challenge. A lot of my concern is what we seem to be asking Nance to do, go outside and stay outside so the ball can swing to you, that is more what manek did but Manek and Nance's games are very different, we should play to more of his strengths.

I think when Washington becomes available things may change, there is going to be more rest for Bacot then and will be interesting to see if we use Washington more as a 4 or 5, I think he is more a stretch 4 than Nance and Nance more the 5 that does not drift out past the free throw line. I think we will see that Washington become a serious shot blocking threat inside the post, that Bacot or Nance isn't and that can change the dynamic of our defense.

Yes but Nance is better in some aspects than Brady was, he is a different type of challenge. A lot of my concern is what we seem to be asking Nance to do, go outside and stay outside so the ball can swing to you, that is more what manek did but Manek and Nance's games are very different, we should play to more of his strengths.

I think when Washington becomes available things may change, there is going to be more rest for Bacot then and will be interesting to see if we use Washington more as a 4 or 5, I think he is more a stretch 4 than Nance and Nance more the 5 that does not drift out past the free throw line. I think we will see that Washington become a serious shot blocking threat inside the post, that Bacot or Nance isn't and that can change the dynamic of our defense.
At this point I'm just hoping we see Washington this season. Ideally soon, and getting in the groove slowly. He'll have a lot of rust, and also a lot of catching up to do. It would be great if he could give us unfettered minutes down the stretch, but that might be too much to hope for.

Any official word on when he'll play real minutes?

Worst deal for us is if he gets just enough time to prove himself to the scouts and then goes pro. Not expecting that, but stuff happens.

At this point I'm just hoping we see Washington this season. Ideally soon, and getting in the groove slowly. He'll have a lot of rust, and also a lot of catching up to do. It would be great if he could give us unfettered minutes down the stretch, but that might be too much to hope for.

Any official word on when he'll play real minutes?

Worst deal for us is if he gets just enough time to prove himself to the scouts and then goes pro. Not expecting that, but stuff happens.
I keep hearing the plan is to get him in games after the Va Tech game. Personally I think they have been to cautious, he could have already been playing, but I do understand why that are taking their time. We now find ourselves in a situation where Bacot is dinged up ankle and shoulder but Washington has not played so you have to question how effective he can be right now. Would have been nice to have him get a few minutes in the Portland games and vs IU, he would have been more ready to contribute now that we need to rest Bacot and let him mend up. But rather, watch, Bacot will start and try to play as close to 30mins as he can, hope he does not get hurt more than he already is.

I keep hearing the plan is to get him in games after the Va Tech game. Personally I think they have been to cautious, he could have already been playing, but I do understand why that are taking their time. We now find ourselves in a situation where Bacot is dinged up ankle and shoulder but Washington has not played so you have to question how effective he can be right now. Would have been nice to have him get a few minutes in the Portland games and vs IU, he would have been more ready to contribute now that we need to rest Bacot and let him mend up. But rather, watch, Bacot will start and try to play as close to 30mins as he can, hope he does not get hurt more than he already is.
I like the idea of easing him in against creampuffs on our home court. Ga Tech (118) and The Citadel (261) should be perfect . . . if he's ready.

But, as you say, that doesn't help us now.

Your same reasoning (needing people immediately to let Armando heal) also suggests that HD should have given more PT to Styles, McKoy and T-Nick. Easy for us to say. I can see why he didn't when we were trying to win the last 3 games against good competition. Yet even in the 4 OT game, those guys only got a combined 3 minutes.

I like the idea of easing him in against creampuffs on our home court. Ga Tech (118) and The Citadel (261) should be perfect . . . if he's ready.

But, as you say, that doesn't help us now.

Your same reasoning (needing people immediately to let Armando heal) also suggests that HD should have given more PT to Styles, McKoy and T-Nick. Easy for us to say. I can see why he didn't when we were trying to win the last 3 games against good competition. Yet even in the 4 OT game, those guys only got a combined 3 minutes.
I think the more effective way to win 3 games vs good competition is to use your bench to allow your team to have fresher legs thru the tourney. What did we get from not using the bench as deep as we could have in that Portland Tourney, 2 losses and Bacot hurt? So we then stroll in to Indiana a tired team with a star player dinged up only to grab a 3rd loss and Bacot injure his shoulder in addition to the already dinged up ankle? Man, you can achieve that using all 15 players, I can lose 3 in a row using Blue Steel as starters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT