ADVERTISEMENT

THI Podcast: Discussing UNC's ACC Basketball Slate

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
The ACC basketball schedule is finally out so here are some thoughts about UNC's portion of it. Let us know what you guys think about how it's laid out and more.

Absolutely right, the 20 game ACC schedule sucks and so does the ACC Network which Spectrum is using to extort even more money from me. It's all about greed these days but that's what college sports has become. Sad!

I have no problem with the 20 game schedule as an idea, but it really makes no sense to play conference games so early in the season. This can only hurt teams' chances for postseason play and seeding for the big Tourney. puke and Carolina are both trying to put new pieces in place and neither will have enough time to smooth out the rough patches before the cutthroat games begin to mount up. I am hopeful that puke will stumble harder than UNC. I love the makeup of this team, but it will clearly take time for all the new guys to acclimate and the former reserves to take a bigger role. Our schedule has a real gauntlet of away games, but I think this will just forge our guys into warriors for the Tourney! I see FF potential as long as a few key questions get answered positively. PG (pretty much a lock with some interesting wrinkles as backups), Bigs (health, frosh starter, development of Huff/Manley, backup 4), Grads (translate to the big leagues), Health (Francis, Leaky, Manley, etc) Should be a fun ride!

I'd rather see a greater variety of opponents over time than a 20 game conference schedule is going to allow. I will miss playing multiple highly ranked non-conference teams each year before the conference games begin.
It would be nice if it actually did balance out the conference games so everyone had a home and away but it won't even accomplish that. Louisville will take UVA's place (at least this season) as the top team we only play once.
Oh, and all you kids get off my lawn!!

Something I like about the schedule is having that first Duke game also held on a Saturday and it being a full month between the finale.

I really don’t like the quick Saturday to Monday turnarounds and more so with our guys having to play on the road each of those Monday nights. Last year we had two Saturday- Monday’s with both Monday games being at home. I know you can say it can prepare our guys for the tourny, but I don’t really agree fully with that, the nature of the schedule as is will prepare our guys. I really feel the scheduling committe could’ve done better there and given us at most 2 of these and separated them by a few weeks.

Back to a positive, haha. I’m excited to see how things will go with the ACC Network as it looks like our Heels will be on their quite often. I have been enjoying the programming on their so far and can’t wait for the team feature coming soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT