ADVERTISEMENT

Trash Talk-Crossing the Line...

GACMAN

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2004
Along with the Heels, I also follow UNM Lobo Basketball program...I grew up out in Albuquerque so have always been a fan. They have a Senior, High Greenwood, playing for them that is from Australia...perfect example of a student athlete and a kid much like our own George Lynch, Hubert Davis etc. Fans love him! His mom has been battling breast cancer and it recently returned over this past summer. To support their teammate several of the Lobos grew their hair out as did the coach only to have it shaved during Midnight Madness. Hugh recently started a group called the Pink pack to raise money for Cancer research at UNM Hospital. A good kid! Last night the Lobos played UNLV..a fan of UNLV started talking trash to Hugh on twitter and said some of the worst things someone could say to a kid whose mom is fighting breast cancer! Absolutely crossed the line! Numerous Lobo fans came to his defense on twitter but it took Hugh dropping 6-3's, getting his 1st dunk since his Freshman year and the Lobos winning the game to get the last laugh! Below are a couple of links to this story!

I wanted to share this because as much as we hate Dike, I would hope that not one of our fans would ever resort to this type of BS in dealing with their players! This stuff is crazy but seems to be happening all to often in today's society!!

http://www.abqjournal.com/529851/sports/lobos-win-thriller-in-vegas.html

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/new-mexicos-hugh-greenwood-calls-out-twitter-troll-who-joked-about-moms-cancer-video/

Originally posted by GACMAN:

... as much as we hate Dike,
laugh.r191677.gif

I looked at a couple of other articles on this and no one will even post the text of the tweets. It must have been really nasty. Greenwood has handled it all with incredible class.

Originally posted by tarheelbybirth:
I looked at a couple of other articles on this and no one will even post the text of the tweets. It must have been really nasty. Greenwood has handled it all with incredible class.
I'm all for free speech but it was bad…..when you start basically telling a guy that you wish his mom was dead etc….you crossed the line!!! The other UNLV fans have really stepped up and are making a nice donation to Hugh's Pink Pack group!A lot of the National media are picking up on this so this is a perfect example of something that could have been really bad but because of the way it was handled, will actually turn into a high blessing for many!!!!!

The first line of the nbcsports article summed it up best:

"I'm going to preface this post by saying that there really are some truly depraved people out there and, if you spend enough time on the internet, you're going to run into them eventually."

Sports are a really, really important part of my life. I also really, really despise NC State and dook. But c'mon, man. Glad to hear this might turn into a net positive for him and his mother thanks to the donations. Now somebody needs to find the antagonist and string him up by his balls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT