ADVERTISEMENT

U Michigan frat and sorority...$500k in damages to resort

That is pathetic. Looking at some of those pics there is indeed a lot of damage done to the resort . .

It's a shame...

...that I wasn't able to attend what looks to have been one hell of a party.

You don't need to be destructive to have a hell of a party.

Wow
eek.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BillyL:
You don't need to be destructive to have a hell of a party.
No, but the best parties usually involve some destruction. Drugs too. Throw in a couple of arrests and you know you attended a humdinger.
grin.r191677.gif

This was simply college kids acting like morons - which is what college kids do - especially in mass. It was irresponsible and the fraternities and sororities should be made to pay for the damages.

But I also think $500,000 is ludicrous. Did the college students tear down a wing of the hotel? I mean, it seems to me that the hotel is pissed and they're hiking the estimates up to really stick it to them. I guess I don't blame them. If it was my hotel I'd probably do the same. But $500K? Seems steep.

Originally posted by TarHeelMark:

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
But $500K? Seems steep.
Almost as bad as getting charged $26k to replace some worn out carpet tiles in some ratty-ass locker room.
I too thought that was a steep bill.

And I will admit that I was hard on Fedora and the players for that incident while it may seem I'm not at all concerned with these Michigan kids. But before someone calls me out on that *cough RH cough*, there's several differences.

1 - I don't give a sh*t what kids at UM are doing. I do care what kids at UNC are doing.
2 - The UM kids were on spring break - unchaperoned.
3 - Athletes and athletic teams are a representation of a school. Frats kids aren't.

But $500K? Seems steep.
The hotels were unable to rent out the rooms, so that total reflects lost revenue.

Completely disagree on #3 above. The Rolling Stone story about rape culture at UVA -- despite its glaring inaccuracies -- was as much a criticism of the university as it was the Greek system. There have been similar stories of partying and destruction perpetrated by Greeks at Miami University (Ohio). I can't tell you the names of the fraternities and sororities, but I do remember the college. JMO, but they absolutely reflect on their universities.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

But $500K? Seems steep.
The hotels were unable to rent out the rooms, so that total reflects lost revenue.

Completely disagree on #3 above. The Rolling Stone story about rape culture at UVA -- despite its glaring inaccuracies -- was as much a criticism of the university as it was the Greek system. There have been similar stories of partying and destruction perpetrated by Greeks at Miami University (Ohio). I can't tell you the names of the fraternities and sororities, but I do remember the college. JMO, but they absolutely reflect on their universities.
True. But they are not chaperoned by school faculty. Athletic teams are. That's a monumental difference.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

But $500K? Seems steep.

I was a GM at a Hotel back in the day and RH is correct....the lost revenue is figured into that number and if the resort is a destination for Spring Break then they lost plenty..including hits to the reputation of the resort. Labor to clean up, paint, replace wall paper and the cost of new furniture...it's not like you can only replace a few items or paint one wall etc....you have to do everything in the room....don't know how many rooms etc were involved but that number does not surprise me at all!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT