ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA to the ACC

doesn't make any sense, travel expenses would be enormous
The UCLA mega-booster in question also advises the ACC. He knows that the ACC is very well positioned for the future and that the Pac is not, that the Pac is in some serious trouble. So his going public this way is to sound the alarm to all the UCLA people especially that something must be done, or UCLA may find itself up a creek with no paddle.

My guess is that he wants a series of UCLA talks about two possibilities: either the Pac adds 4 schools from the Big 12, or else UCLA leads 2 to 6 Pac teams into the Big 12. Those 2 scenarios will mean a third is discussed: that the Pac and Big 12 disband and new league is formed from them.

The Big 12 is NOT the Big 8 that expanded. Both the Big 8 and the SWC disbanded, and the brand new Big 12 was created, with its own charter membership.

Would Bill Walton then refer to the ACC as the conference of Champions?..........
That was the very first joke I made when I read this. Walton knows he is nuts. He does all that over the top stuff to be funny while trying to promote UCLA and the Pac when he is supposed to be a neutral broadcaster. I'd love to have him calling 'lesser' ACC basketball games: Moo, Clemson, VT, Miami. He'd make those games very fun to watch because he is nuts and very happy about it.

That was the very first joke I made when I read this. Walton knows he is nuts. He does all that over the top stuff to be funny while trying to promote UCLA and the Pac when he is supposed to be a neutral broadcaster. I'd love to have him calling 'lesser' ACC basketball games: Moo, Clemson, VT, Miami. He'd make those games very fun to watch because he is nuts and very happy about it.
Walton won't call a game that's in a state where smoking weed is illegal.

Does anyone think Chip Kelly can make UCLA a power? I'm not sure what to think. I loved him at Oregon. I'm interested in opinions here. Because over the last 20 years there seem to have been a lot of coaches who have had incredible success in their second year at the school. This will be Chip's second year at UCLA.

Does anyone think Chip Kelly can make UCLA a power? I'm not sure what to think. I loved him at Oregon. I'm interested in opinions here. Because over the last 20 years there seem to have been a lot of coaches who have had incredible success in their second year at the school. This will be Chip's second year at UCLA.
Define power. If you mean can he become a top team in the PAC, then yes I think it's possible. If you mean can he win a championship there, then no.

I think Kelly can build the program up enough to compete in the Pac 12. There's no dominant team in that conference right now, so UCLA at least has a chance. I guess that could change if Urban Liar takes the USC job next season.

Reactions: Archer2
Who knows?

Sometimes a coach is great at one place and can never replicate it.

SC is down by its standards. That always leaves an opening for UCLA to move up.

I think Kelly can build the program up enough to compete in the Pac 12. There's no dominant team in that conference right now, so UCLA at least has a chance. I guess that could change if Urban Liar takes the USC job next season.
Urban at SC would pose a lot of trouble for the rest of the Pac, including in feeling the need to sign more future felons to keep pace with the Trojans.

Reactions: Archer2
Yeah I'm just not sure what to think. I think he was at the top of the coaching ranks or just behind Saban when he went to the pros in 2012. I am a huge Oregon fan and wish he would have returned there. There was a lot of talk but who knows if he was even offered officially to come back. Alot of people have said he was offered the Florida job and the UCLA job at the same time. He took the UCLA job because it's a bigger town etc. I can buy some of that. I can see it going either way honestly. He could build a juggernaut with all that southern California talent. Or they could just be the average underachieving UCLA they always seem to be. Maybe that's why he took the job. Less over all hot expectations.

Yeah I'm just not sure what to think. I think he was at the top of the coaching ranks or just behind Saban when he went to the pros in 2012. I am a huge Oregon fan and wish he would have returned there. There was a lot of talk but who knows if he was even offered officially to come back. Alot of people have said he was offered the Florida job and the UCLA job at the same time. He took the UCLA job because it's a bigger town etc. I can buy some of that. I can see it going either way honestly. He could build a juggernaut with all that southern California talent. Or they could just be the average underachieving UCLA they always seem to be. Maybe that's why he took the job. Less over all hot expectations.
There is not more talent in CA (not just SoCal, but the whole state) than in FL. And there is more talent in considerably more talent in GA than in AZ, NV, and OR combined.

If UF offered, he did not take UCLA because of more talent in the vicinity.

I think most UF boosters wanted Mullen because he had been UF OC and then had been the best HC in Miss St history. Mullen knows Southern football and Kelly does not.

UCLA in the ACC? Do. Not. Want.

But if the Pac 12 starts poaching from the Big 12 maybe the ACC could snag Texas.
The Pac does not have the power to take from the Big 12. But if the Pac's overlord, the Big Ten, were to cause trouble trying to take Big 12 teams, who knows what might happen.

The Pac does not have the power to take from the Big 12. But if the Pac's overlord, the Big Ten, were to cause trouble trying to take Big 12 teams, who knows what might happen.
That almost happened in the last round of realignment. Oklahoma and a few others were tired of TX having so much control. The big 12 seems to have stabilized now though, so I'm not sure there's a chance of that happening anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT