ADVERTISEMENT

UNC scheduling

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
We have scheduled a Home-Away series with UConn for 2026 and 2027.

Why? Is TV going to love that? Will pollsters reward us for playing UConn? Will playing UConn help us recruit?

UConn would fit with my ideal UNC OOC scheduling. I think UNC needs to play OOC 2 P5 teams per year. And at least one of them should be 'name brand' (ND, Auburn, UGA, Tenn, Bama, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, OU, Nebraska, etc). Then balance the OOC schedule by playing either 2 mid-lower tier G5 teams (UConn is one) or by playing 1 mid lower tier G5 and 1 FCS/1AA team.

In 2026, we are scheduled to play ND and TCU. So UConn will fit in as the G5 dud to balance two very good OOC games.

Bubba has us lined up to play:

UConn
Wofford
Ga. State
ETSU
Campbell
Liberty
Charlotte
James Madison

Makes you want to run out and buy a season ticket package, doesn't it?

LSU:
UT-San Antonio
Rice
Nicholls State
McNeese State
Central Michigan
UL-Monroe
New Mexico
Army
Georgia State

Ohio State:
Bowling Green
Buffalo
Tulsa
Akron
Arkansas State
Toledo
San Jose State
Western Kentucky

Oklahoma:
Missouri State
Army
Tulane
Western Carolina
UTEP
Illinois State
Tulsa
Temple
New Mexico

[FirstName LastName] continues to underwhelm as an athletic director! Fire them all!

LSU:
UT-San Antonio
Rice
Nicholls State
McNeese State
Central Michigan
UL-Monroe
New Mexico
Army
Georgia State

Ohio State:
Bowling Green
Buffalo
Tulsa
Akron
Arkansas State
Toledo
San Jose State
Western Kentucky

Oklahoma:
Missouri State
Army
Tulane
Western Carolina
UTEP
Illinois State
Tulsa
Temple
New Mexico

[FirstName LastName] continues to underwhelm as an athletic director! Fire them all!
Well played. Personally, I think Bubba has done a pretty good job.

For 2020 Clemson plays Akron Zips, Citadel, and Notre Dame. For 2021 they take on S.C. State, Wyoming, and UConn. For 2022 they play the likes of Louisiana Tech, Furman, and Notre Dame so aside from their Notre Dame match-ups OOC schedule not exactly murderers row.

I’ve never understood why people want to see us schedule a super tough OOC schedule. You could play nothing but cupcakes OOC, but if we run the table and beat clemson we’re in the playoff. Why make it any tougher than it needs to be?

Reactions: pooponduke
Of the 4 games, it's good to have one versus a good, name brand team. And then two FBS teams that you should be able to beat, leaving one creampuff.

We got that covered next year. Auburn is probably a loss, but we have a good shot to beat ucf, and should definitely beat uconn and jmu.

For 2020 Clemson plays Akron Zips, Citadel, and Notre Dame. For 2021 they take on S.C. State, Wyoming, and UConn. For 2022 they play the likes of Louisiana Tech, Furman, and Notre Dame so aside from their Notre Dame match-ups OOC schedule not exactly murderers row.
They play an SEC team every year - that matters to pollsters and recruits.

I don't like a home and home with UConn. Two games in chapel Hill and one at UConn would be okay
UConn is NOT an equal, and there are very few halfway decent recruits in the area. Play UConn in Yankee Stadium, which gets us into NYC, and the NYC TV market includes the heavily populated northern third of NJ, which is the home of most of the top NJ players.

I’ve never understood why people want to see us schedule a super tough OOC schedule. You could play nothing but cupcakes OOC, but if we run the table and beat clemson we’re in the playoff. Why make it any tougher than it needs to be?
Exactly. Bubba is doing fine putting UConn on the schedule for those years. We shouldn't confuse football scheduling with b-ball. Roy schedules tough ooc teams and gets his team to improve throughout the year because the ACC is so historically tough and it matters in the end.

However, losing some tough games in b-ball doesn't ruin all chances of getting in the tourney or a good bowl like it would in football. Getting as many wins and as few loses matter. They are the first priority. If we go undefeated or have a single loss, I'd be fine with the "experts" debating our schedule strength. If we lose more than we win, they don't care who we played and there is no discussion whatsoever.

You are leaving off the fact they play an instate SEC team every year..

UNC does not have that so they should do all they can to add a top P% team every year. Just not sure what woulf make a good rivalry.. Tennessee? They dont have a standing ACC rivalry.

They play an SEC team every year - that matters to pollsters and recruits.

I am sure UNC fans and alums would enjoy playing a lower tier sec team every year like scar and we played them last year and this year we get Auburn. Everyone knows the Vols backed out of the series we recently had with them. As this team rises into the top twenty and up there will be few sec teams willing to schedule a series with the Tar Heels. I agree it is to UNC advantage to have a better opponent than the Huskies but when you aren't a gimme or sure win it is difficult to get someone to agree to play you every year. We could be just as well off with a series with Penn St. or Wisconsin perhaps. I would prefer them over a sec team as I am just sick to death of the sec hype dspn spews 24/7 365.

If we're talking SEC, I'd be up for playing a semi regular home and home with UGA. I know that's basically impossible with them playing GT though.

Tennessee and Georgia were the only SEC teams that Carolina had any real history with from the old Southern Conference.
I think that if any ACC team were to develop a long term rivalry with Tennessee, after seeing the speedway game, it would be Virginia Tech.
If we want a SEC series.....there is always Missouri, a school that doesn't seem to have any real rivalries in the SEC anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT