ADVERTISEMENT

UNC vs Arizona

Oct 16, 2015
Looks like we are going head to head for Little and Shittu.

Shittu is down to UNC, Arizona, Vanderbilt, and USC.

Little is down to UNC, Arizona, Miami, Duke, Georgia Tech.

I'd be happy with either, but both would be a real coup. Do they play the same position? I was under the impression that Little was a 3 and Shittu was a 4/5, meaning they could play next to each other.

Also, does Duke have a realistic shot at Little, considering for that class they have Reddish and are recruiting Barrett?

I think we can beat Arizona for both these recruits.

Last edited:

I'd be happy with either, but both would be a real coup. Do they play the same position? I was under the impression that Little was a 3 and Shittu was a 4, meaning they could play next to each other.

Also, does Duke have a realistic shot at Little, considering for that class they have Reddish and are recruiting Barrett?

I hope we can beat them out. Little, I guess is a UNC fan. Shittu has had some nice things to say about Roy, and his three scheduled visits makes things very interesting. Oregon is the perceived leader, but they might not get a visit, and he has stated he isn't taking unofficial visits. I think we have real chance with both.

Reactions: JakeSarna
Both would be amazing. Little at the 3, Shittu at the 5.

I like Little a lot more as a player, but Shittu would be a hell of a consolation prize (and fill more of a positional need).

Hopefully we get at least one!

I agree that it looks promising for us to get at east 1. I feel good about the shift in the scene and I expect Roy to start showing his recruiting chops again soon! This would be a great time to start!

wait..what..where..where is UK?..but Cal is?..huh?..

Read he was expecting an offer from Cal when he visited last week. Left without offering, and offered another PF the next day.

I'd be happy with either, but both would be a real coup. Do they play the same position? I was under the impression that Little was a 3 and Shittu was a 4/5, meaning they could play next to each other.

Little isn't going to dook.

Reactions: gauchoheel

LOL 2012, I always think we should beat out Arizona unless the kid has family ties or proximity. But dang it they do reel in some nice hauls despite their lack of coaching, and what have you done for me lately. "nothing" I just don't get it

$$....When was the last time UNC beat Arizona for a recruit?
We will get at least little I am.not sure about shittu but I can almost certainly say little is ours to lose. Think about this we would have had Knox if not for some daddy needs to get paid b.s. so there is always that chance we get undercut which is why I say almost certain

Last edited:
Arizona will get Shittu IMO and I think it's a toss up on Little. People need to realize that top 10 talent are thinking OAD. Arizona will sell the OAD route and Roy won't. I'm fine with that, however, that is what makes Arizona attractive to these top kids. When was the last top 10 kid we landed? Justin Jackson back in 2014?

Arizona will get Shittu IMO and I think it's a toss up on Little. People need to realize that top 10 talent are thinking OAD. Arizona will sell the OAD route and Roy won't. I'm fine with that, however, that is what makes Arizona attractive to these top kids. When was the last top 10 kid we landed? Justin Jackson back in 2014?

I'm not so sure. Arizona is no better a OAD destination than UNC. And they have excellent depth on the wing and in the post (certainly better than we will have in 2018).

I'm not so sure. Arizona is no better a OAD destination than UNC. And they have excellent depth on the wing and in the post (certainly better than we will have in 2018).

Thats just not true. Carolina has had 3 one and done players ever. Arizona had 2 on their team this year. Im personally okay with that, as Carolina's model has obviously proven to be more successful, but there is zero reason to think FOR A OAD PLAYER that Carolina is more attractive than Arizona. The Aaron Gordons, Lauri Markanens and Stanley Johnsons just don't come here

Thats just not true. Carolina has had 3 one and done players ever. Arizona had 2 on their team this year. Im personally okay with that, as Carolina's model has obviously proven to be more successful, but there is zero reason to think FOR A OAD PLAYER that Carolina is more attractive than Arizona. The Aaron Gordons, Lauri Markanens and Stanley Johnsons just don't come here

Markkanen and ?????

Arizona's had 5 OADs ever. We've had 3. Don't see much difference.

Reactions: bax4444
sometimes I think dook just offers certain players with intentions keeping the players away from UNC .. never told they will hardly ever play at dook

Nassir Little, Jairus Hamilton, and Matthew Hurt say hello. And these are just the most recent ones.

Markkanen and ?????

Arizona's had 5 OADs ever. We've had 3. Don't see much difference.

I also find it funny how Rawle Alkins was interested in UNC but at one point said he chose Arizona because he wanted to go the OAD route. Also kobi Simmons who in my view was one of the most talented recruits in 2016 went undrafted in the draft this year. We do have weapons to use to battle this 'Arizona OAD lock' route.

We also just had a player who was expected to to atleast be a 2-3 year player who committed to UNC knowing he wasn't going to start and just about every scout said he had zeeo chance to go OAD, especially in such a heavy talented draft year. And he Bradley went 1st round. And I find it funny that now people say "well UNC didnt start him" but at the time he committed to UNC, a lot of people were saying that he's got good fundamentals but won't be able to contribute right away. But with the way he was used at UNC, we played him to his strengths and that's what got him on NBA GMs radars. Yeah I hear we didnt let him shoot from 3. And I don't even believe his in game outside shot was ready, even if he ends up a great shooter. But if Roy said "go ahead, fire at will", and Bradley struggled from 3 then the strengths he showed at UNC wouldn't have been apparent and I'm pretty sure he would be playing again at UNC this year. Roy deserves credit for how he used Bradley and Bradley knew full well he wasn't going to be starting.

In little and shittus case, they will be starting their freshman years and they should deff know that no matter what any other schools coach says or absent of a guarantee from Roy since from what I hear, he never gives that guarantee but will say it's very likely...

Last edited:

Actually we would have had 4 had it not been for the NBA lock out going on when Barnes was considering leaving after 1 but that doesn't really matter. The more important point is that we just have not had the 1&D guys in big numbers for them to actually be able to be 1&D come draft day.

There is a good bit more than a ZERO reason to think UNC would be attaractive to even the 1&D kids, we ARE the defending NATIONAL CHAMPS, every one wants to be a CHAMPION, playing on the national championship team pumps your draft ability rather than hurt it. UNC plays in the strongest conference in the country, the ACC, plays on national TV nearly every game they play, very recently rated the best college basketball program for the decade.

Geez, I can't think of a legit argument against UNC being a great for for any player no matter where he is ranked. I mean sure, if they want to sit at home and watch the national title game on TV then sure, commit to duke, Ky, Arizona...I am thinking maybe most college players would rather actually play in the national title game than watch it on TV but hey, that is just me...

I wonder if we lost markaneen because of this. Made absolutely no sense to me when they beat us for him.
One would think his dad, who played for Roy is above that type of behavior, but this is 2017 not 1990.

Lets see now, Sean Miller is in the middle of this thing, clearly dirty so he is toast. Wouldn't it be something if he had a little brother that was also a basketball head coach at a major program? Oh wait, he does doesn't he? And who is it again that has become a major player for Langford, now that Pitino has been busted? Could it be an Addias school that Sean's lil brother coaches?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yup it obviously could be money, but I thought Marky Mark was swayed by the idea that we were going to get slammed by the NCAA Mafia and influenced by a coach connection on the staff. Couple that with his fear of competing against our frontline and voila! I hold out hope that there are still some who didn't cheat!

(now this doesn't explain why AZ, but it does explain why not UNC)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT