ADVERTISEMENT

UVa. vs. Wake

Did we recruit one single player on that team?? I know we looked at Gill as a transfer but I think that's it.

70-34 final. According to box score Wake played 16 guys. Is that a record and did they let a few fans suit up??

Virginia has a solid x and 0 coach and we simply do not , the fact is Roy has won with super overpowering as he says gifted talent always and without that he is a less than average coach. Hate to beat the guy up but if coach smith had not set him up in the blue blood job at Kansas he would
Never had made it . Can he and has he been able to recruit ? Absoblutely but look at the thrones he has been setting in and picking from but I really believe ave and the attitude he cannot hide behind success has caught up with him.

And what is all that "super talent" doing in the NBA? All Stars galore? Roy got them boys drafted HIGH. What happened after that?

Let's make it clear and I'm sure Roy would agree, he hasn't ever gotten anybody drafted high or even low for that matter. The kids talent gets them where they want to go. Roy helps condition and mold them but make no mistake, he isn't the reason.

"Play HARD, play SMART, play TOGETHER" sound familiar, tell me you don't see just that in the way this UVa team plays, UVa does this for a full 40minutes. UVa doesn't just do this for a full 40 minutes, they do it pretty much every game they play for a full 40mins. You don't see our UNC team doing that, not for a full 40mins and for darn sure not for every game they play. Bennetts teams attack you when they are on the defensive end, they don't do it with Micky D high school all Americans, they don't do it with multiple 7ft future NBA billionaires, they do it with multiple top 150 guys that all buy in to the same thing. They are not great talents, they are a great team of talented players.

I know, many don't like to watch their games, say it is boring to watch, do ya think rival fans actually enjoyed watching UNC go in to the four corners before the shot clock was instituted? It ain't about pretty folks, it is about scoring more points at the final buzzer than the other team and that can be pretty, ugly, pretty ugly or any place in between! Ths is at least the 4th time this UVa team has held its opponents under 20 at the half and under 40 for the game, that is damned impressive and deserving of praise for the job they are doing. This UVa team is not going to out talent many teams they face but I don't know if there is another team in the country that is going to out work them, they may lose some games but you can bet bennett is not going to be screaming about a lack of effort by his kids because no matter what that team brings its lunch pail, its blue collar, and it goes to work. I am inpressed big time by them, no matter what happens from here on out.

Originally posted by BillyL:
Tony Bennett has one heluva team . .
That's what happens when you load up on a dozen McDonald's All-Americans, 4 or 5 of whom could be 1st round picks in the NBA draft.

If only we had that much raw talent, that many super highly recruited recruited players, Roy and the staff certainly would have the Heels playing smart, fundamentally sound basketball on both ends of the court, thereby maximizing the potential.

Originally posted by DSouthr:
"Play HARD, play SMART, play TOGETHER" sound familiar, tell me you don't see just that in the way this UVa team plays, UVa does this for a full 40minutes. UVa doesn't just do this for a full 40 minutes, they do it pretty much every game they play for a full 40mins. You don't see our UNC team doing that, not for a full 40mins and for darn sure not for every game they play. Bennetts teams attack you when they are on the defensive end, they don't do it with Micky D high school all Americans, they don't do it with multiple 7ft future NBA billionaires, they do it with multiple top 150 guys that all buy in to the same thing. They are not great talents, they are a great team of talented players.

I know, many don't like to watch their games, say it is boring to watch, do ya think rival fans actually enjoyed watching UNC go in to the four corners before the shot clock was instituted? It ain't about pretty folks, it is about scoring more points at the final buzzer than the other team and that can be pretty, ugly, pretty ugly or any place in between! Ths is at least the 4th time this UVa team has held its opponents under 20 at the half and under 40 for the game, that is damned impressive and deserving of praise for the job they are doing. This UVa team is not going to out talent many teams they face but I don't know if there is another team in the country that is going to out work them, they may lose some games but you can bet bennett is not going to be screaming about a lack of effort by his kids because no matter what that team brings its lunch pail, its blue collar, and it goes to work. I am inpressed big time by them, no matter what happens from here on out.
Dean Smith would have had total respect for this UVA team.

It shows you that sometimes that the 2/3 star players plays way better the the so call 4/5 star players do.Lower star players have to work harder to play while 4/5 star player have it handed to them.Also they play with more heart.Take note Roy.Get some 2/3 star players that really wants to play for UNC

Originally posted by TARGOLF:
It shows you that sometimes that the 2/3 star players plays way better the the so call 4/5 star players do.Lower star players have to work harder to play while 4/5 star player have it handed to them.Also they play with more heart.Take note Roy.Get some 2/3 star players that really wants to play for UNC
Can you just see this place if Roy actually did do that, yep Roy passed on those 4 & 5 star guys but he got him those 3 Jackson Simmons clones? Tar Heel fans would lynch the man, they would be screaming from the roof tops or his job. I do get your point but Bennetts players are not exactly chopped liver, at least 2 and likely 3 of his starters (one currently injured) are NBA worthy players and will cash nice pay checks in the league.

I think way to often, to much stock is placed in the star ratings of kids coming out of high school. These kids develop at different rates and at different times, the 4 & 5 star players developed sooner than the 2 & 3 star kids did, of course the 4 & 5 stars have greater raw talent for the most part but raw talent doesn't always develop as TarGolf shares because they are able o rely on that talent to the extent they do not realize the need to develop their skills to go along with that raw talent.

Couple examples, do you really think JP really worked hard in high school and AAU developing a solid jump shot, clearly Theo never had to worry about being a ump shooter until he got to UNC, do ya remember Kendal's jump shot as a freshman, real ugly half way set shot that never came close to dropping, defenders used to back off him and dare him to hoot wide open shots. Marcus Paige is another example but on the other end, clearly that kid realized he needed to work hard in high school developing a jump shot so when he got to UNC he already had that skill ready to use. I bet you there were many days during his high school career that Marcus would put up nearly a thousand jump shots.

UVa is maybe the frontrunner to win the national championship. Yep, maybe even more so than UK. They are f***ing legit. To beat the absolute sh*t out of WFU, in their house, while missing 2 of your 3 best players was quite a statement. I was somewhat of a doubter until a couple weeks ago. I kept expecting UVa to come back to the pack. But if they run the table in the reg season, then win the ACC tournament, I think they should get the overall #1 seed based on their schedule as opposed to UK's. And I expect all of that to happen.

In regards to the talent, sure, some of those UVa boys might have not been as highly ranked. But make no mistake, they are grown men with exceptional athletic ability. I posted on here a couple weeks ago the differences in their team vs. ours. Their dudes have NBA ready bodies. I expect Brogden and Anderson to have long NBA careers. And I think Perrantes, Gill and Atkins could also have a cup of coffee in the league as well based on their size, strength and their willingness to accept a specific role. UVa has a couple of freshman that might turn out to be really good in a few years as well - 2 guards, Shayok and Bryant Stith's son, BJ.

I am in awe of what Tony Bennett is building in Charlottesville. We may honestly be looking at a changing of the guard for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT