ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 Stats: North Carolina at Georgia Tech

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Click any image to enlarge.

Wk6H2H_r1ih4t.png

Thanks again @Raising Heel. Always enjoy these charts, which tend to be more insightful as the season progresses and there is more data to analyze.We seem to have an advantage in the passing game, with Tech having a slight advantage in the running game. But we've played a tougher schedule.

A few stats that stick out as far as our national rankings:

Offense:
Red zone %: 1st
Red zone FG%: 7th
Penalty yards per game: 13th
Kickoff return TD's: 18th
Interception ratio: 21st
Penalties per game: 22nd
Turnovers per game: 23rd
Punt return TD's: 26th

Defense:
Kickoff return TD's: 1st
Punt return TD's: 1st

So far, we've done a pretty good job of limiting TO's, drastically reducing penalties, and converting in the red zone. Still a lot of work to be done but the improvement is obvious.

Overall, we have a statistical advantage in most categories, but not by much. IOW, Tech is capable of beating us if we don't play pretty well. I expect their best effort but my gut says we will play well from the opening kickoff and prevail by at least a couple of TD's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raising Heel
We seem to have an advantage in the passing game, with Tech having a slight advantage in the running game.
Tech's pass defense actually looks pretty good. I suspect some of that is because their run defense is so bad that teams don't bother to air it out against them often. Our defense had the same problem last season.

Offense:
Red zone %: 1st
Red zone FG%: 7th
This is a classic good news/bad news scenario. It's great that we're so efficient in the red zone, but too much of that has come from kicking field goals instead of converting touchdowns. This is a big deal considering all 5 of our games so far have come down to a single possession. We can't keep leaving points on the field.

Offense:
Kickoff return TD's: 18th
Defense:
Kickoff return TD's: 1st
Punt return TD's: 1st
Special teams stats are always a little goofy. On offense, there have been 17 team who've returned a kickoff for a TD. We haven't so we're in a 113-team tie for 18th place. Similar story on defense, where we haven't allowed a kick return TD so are tied with a zillion other teams for 1st place.

Tech's pass defense actually looks pretty good. I suspect some of that is because their run defense is so bad that teams don't bother to air it out against them often. Our defense had the same problem last season.

This is a classic good news/bad news scenario. It's great that we're so efficient in the red zone, but too much of that has come from kicking field goals instead of converting touchdowns. This is a big deal considering all 5 of our games so far have come down to a single possession. We can't keep leaving points on the field.

Special teams stats are always a little goofy. On offense, there have been 17 team who've returned a kickoff for a TD. We haven't so we're in a 113-team tie for 18th place. Similar story on defense, where we haven't allowed a kick return TD so are tied with a zillion other teams for 1st place.
I agree on all counts. Statistics can be construed to support opposing opinions, it's all in the interpretation. I still feel we have improved dramatically and are very much headed in the right direction. And I still feel we will win convincingly Saturday.

I still feel we have improved dramatically and are very much headed in the right direction.
I actually pulled up our final 2018 stats last night and compared them to these. Bateman has been getting a lot of praise but we're still mediocre defensively, I thought to myself. But when you look at last season, mercy we've improved so much. Just to call out a couple numbers, we were ranked the 100s in points per game allowed and yards per game allowed. Now we're around the 60s in both categories.

That's a remarkable accomplishment considering we've played 4 P5 teams (2 of them ranked) and an outstanding G5 team to start the season. I can only imagine how much better the stats will look as the schedule lightens a bit and the players get more experience in this system. And then I think about the infusion of talent from the incoming recruits and get really excited. The future is bright.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I actually pulled up our final 2018 stats last night and compared them to these. Bateman has been getting a lot of praise but we're still mediocre defensively, I thought to myself. But when you look at last season, mercy we've improved so much. Just to call out a couple numbers, we were ranked the 100s in points per game allowed and yards per game allowed. Now we're around the 60s in both categories.

That's a remarkable accomplishment considering we've played 4 P5 teams (2 of them ranked) and an outstanding G5 team to start the season. I can only imagine how much better the stats will look as the schedule lightens a bit and the players get more experience in this system. And then I think about the infusion of talent from the incoming recruits and get really excited. The future is bright.
I think Bateman has been great at making halftime adjustments. That's what I think is the difference between this year and last. I haven't seen numbers on that, so I might be completely off base.

Reactions: uncboy10
I think Bateman has been great at making halftime adjustments. That's what I think is the difference between this year and last. I haven't seen numbers on that, so I might be completely off base.
An area where he has excelled IMO. I saw very little of that the last few years when we seemed to stick with our game plan whether it was working or not.

Yep, I was surprised our defensive rankings weren't a bit higher, they just seemed like they ought to be. But when I look at where we've been in recent years, what we had returning, the fact that we're having to learn a new scheme, the dramatic improvement in fundamentals, and the SOS we've faced, it brings a Cheshire Cat smile to my face.

We may be looking at our next HC.

Keep in mind these stats will start to change...Most teams have yet to play a good team and have also played at least 2 cupcakes where they have padded stats...UNC has not..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT