ADVERTISEMENT

What Are Our Players Working On This Off-Season?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Any insider insights on what instructions Hubert and his staff have given (or will give) our players?

Will our new guys - frosh and transfers - be on campus the whole time? Are they already here?

Do we have any guys who will be training elsewhere with private trainers?

If you were calling the shots, what would you emphasize for each player?

360 dunks, windmills, reverse jams, off-the-backboard-'oops. We have guys with serious up, time to use them to demoralize the opponent and get the gray-hairs up out of their seats. I want Trimble and Withers to stop working on shooting and dribbling and just focus on fancy dunks and catch lobs from Elliot's behind the back pass.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
360 dunks, windmills, reverse jams, off-the-backboard-'oops. We have guys with serious up, time to use them to demoralize the opponent and get the gray-hairs up out of their seats. I want Trimble and Withers to stop working on shooting and dribbling and just focus on fancy dunks and catch lops from Elliot's behind the back pass.
If that's so, it could be a tough year ahead!

Washington needs to work on lower body strength and agility.

Cadeau needs to work on 3pt and FT shooting.

Tyson needs to add muscle to play the 4.

Withers needs to focus on the mental side of the game. He needs to train himself to stop doing all the dumb things he's been doing. No more dribble drives, no more off balance shots, no more hero shots, no more getting lost ball watching on defense. You're a role player. Focus on dialing in your defense, boxing out on rebounds, and scoring around the basket without dribbling.

Lubin needs to focus on FT shooting, 3pt shooting, and developing a hook shot.

The freshmen need to work on everything.

Trimble needs to find confidence in his offense. Keep working with Marcus Paige.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I hope I live long enough to see a UNC PG throw a behind the back lob that gets slammed down in a hilariously demoralizing way! (Oh, what I would give if it is against puke!)I do believe we have at least 3 peeps who could pull those off too! However:

Strength, Conditioning, and team chemistry are the top 3 general items to me! All individuals already have a plan designed to work on their identified weaknesses so we know some will be working on shooting/shot selection; ball handling; decision making; post moves/counters; Bball IQ IE positioning, rotations, movement, spacing, good-to-great, etc. All will work on the tweaked Secondary break leading into our version of motion. All will work on multiple D and O sets too! Hopefully, all will be working on multiple presses and press breaks.

Boils down to can these guys learn to love each other like last year and if so, I expect similar results + a little luck to push us a bit further!

Reactions: JimmyinVA
TPFKAPFS said it best....Chemistry. So far the Portal hasnt been horrible to us. but there have been other teams that chemistry is a huge problem. My hope is that we continue to have great success there. As we are not privy to the locker room and everyday life of these young men, who knows how they get along. I just hope they like each other and can share the rock.

....Cadeau needs to work on 3pt and FT shooting....
yeah, shooting in general, including mid-range. his form was looking better toward the end of the year but he kept missing -- bit of a mystery. i have a theory that his peripheral court awareness which makes him a great passer is something he needs to turn off when shooting, to concentrate on the front of the rim only. our current staff includes two of the best pure shooters in carolina history, davis and lebo, so i'm hopeful.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I wonder what the player's expectations are.

Did Trimble come back to play 12 minutes off the bench. Surely he knows he won't start - and could have somewhere else - but surely he has greater expectations than regressing in minutes played. Whose lunch does he expect to eat?

How about Withers? With Armando gone, I imagine he was looking to start. And he might. Barring another portal guy (which now seems extremely unlikely), he looks no worse than 3rd in the front line rotation and could be 1st or 2nd.

How about the freshmen. No one expects much from Brown as a frosh, but did our top-10 guys come here to ride the pine? Doubtful.

I assume Cade expects to start, but may not expect to play last season's 31 mpg. I also assume he has zero interest in playing PF. Nor should he be asked to, imo. If Drake or Ian show they can thrive at SF and if our Big 3 disappoint, maybe he sees some time there.

What does Zayden expect? Who knows? I imagine he's just glad we didn't land 2 bigs from the portal after it was too late for him to enter.

Everyone, including me, expects great things from Elliot in his soph year. But I wonder how he's looking at it.

Did Trimble come back to play 12 minutes off the bench. Surely he knows he won't start - and could have somewhere else - but surely he has greater expectations than regressing in minutes played. Whose lunch does he expect to eat?

How about Withers? With Armando gone, I imagine he was looking to start. And he might. Barring another portal guy (which now seems extremely unlikely), he looks no worse than 3rd in the front line rotation and could be 1st or 2nd.

How about the freshmen. No one expects much from Brown as a frosh, but did our top-10 guys come here to ride the pine? Doubtful.

I assume Cade expects to start, but may not expect to play last season's 31 mpg. I also assume he has zero interest in playing PF. Nor should he be asked to, imo. If Drake or Ian show they can thrive at SF and if our Big 3 disappoint, maybe he sees some time there.

What does Zayden expect? Who knows? I imagine he's just glad we didn't land 2 bigs from the portal after it was too late for him to enter.

Everyone, including me, expects great things from Elliot in his soph year. But I wonder how he's looking at it.
Good questions, esp Trimble. PT might be hard to come by in the 1-3. Maybe he came back for the co-eds.

Stretching out necks and arm length we need some more height inside & a few who can block shots

PG: Cadeau/Davis
SG: Davis/Trimble
SF: Jackson/Powell
Stretch 4: Tyson/Withers/Powell
C: Lubin/Washington/Withers

9 players max in the rotation, lots of small ball since the majority of our talent is perimeter players

PG: Cadeau/Davis
SG: Davis/Trimble
SF: Jackson/Powell
Stretch 4: Tyson/Withers/Powell
C: Lubin/Washington/Withers

9 players max in the rotation, lots of small ball since the majority of our talent is perimeter players
So basically like this past year…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT